No announcement yet.

The battle of Brexit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toby it was plastered on the ukip bus m8 .

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
      Toby it was plastered on the ukip bus m8 .
      That red bus was not UKIP, categorically NOT UKIP! it was the leave campaigns bus, UKIP's bus was purple for starters

Click image for larger version

Name:	k-551945.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1471364

Comment

• Ahhh silly billy me huh .Yes the leave campaign bus , but the msg is the same stating , lets fund the nhs instead not we WILL fund the nhs , soz for the mistake , righty ho c u l8r i got a bus to catch tara .
        Last edited by tankie; 13 Aug 17,, 01:00.

Comment

Ahhh silly billy me huh .Yes the leave campaign bus , but the msg is the same stating , lets fund the nhs instead not we WILL fund the nhs , soz for the mistake , righty ho c u l8r i got a bus to catch tara .
          Lol. No prob

I get your point....words and the order they are used in are what journalists feed off. Get one wrong and they pounce like wolves.
          The media tried to tie Farage to that red bus and what was written on it. I think it was mainly Gove that was behind it.
          We could do with some head way at mo....Give the pound a boost . Increase confidence....You can feel the unease everytime I turn the news on. The merchants of doom are there telling us how much worse it really all is....they must go to drama school before becoming news presenters
          Last edited by Toby; 13 Aug 17,, 08:59.

Comment

• David Miliband: we need a second vote on Brexit deal

Former Labour minister enters fray over Europe to urge fightback on ‘act of economic self-harm’

David Miliband has made a dramatic entry into the debate about Britain’s exit from the EU with an impassioned call for politicians from all parties to work together to avoid the Tory high command driving the country “off a cliff”.

Labour’s former foreign secretary warned that Brexit is an “unparalleled act of economic self-harm” and suggested that it is up to MPs of all political colours to fight back against its worst consequences. The country’s future, he argued, should be decided by another vote on the terms of a final settlement – either by referendum or in parliament.

In a scathing article in the Observer, Miliband wrote: “Delegating to May and Davis, never mind Johnson and Fox, the settlement of a workable alternative to EU membership is a delusion, not just an abdication.”

He also heaped praise on the Tory chancellor, Philip Hammond, who is leading pressure inside the cabinet for a transition deal with the EU to soften the blow of a Brexit rupture. “I never thought I would say this, but Philip Hammond is also playing an important, even valiant, role. A transition of the kind he has advocated is vital.”

The timing of the intervention by the former contender for the Labour leadership is significant. Febrile Westminster talk over the summer recess has triggered speculation about the creation of a new anti-Brexit party joined by heavyweights from all sides.

But a more likely scenario is the emergence of cross-party consensus around a plan for the UK to remain part of the European Economic Area (EEA), at least for a transition period. This would provoke fury among leavers and civil war within the Tories.

Now president and chief executive of the International Rescue Committee, based in New York, Miliband recently indicated that he sees himself as an “ex-politician”. But many believe he harbours a desire to return to Westminster and his caustic assessment of both the UK and US political scenes suggests he believes they are in need of a shake-up.

In his most hard-hitting comments to date concerning both Britain’s decision to leave the EU and the Trump presidency, Miliband warns that “politics and government are setting new standards for dysfunction”.

“This transatlantic malaise has a common root,” Miliband wrote. “Politics based on what you are against, not what you are for. Look at the campaigns against the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and against the EU. There is a common trope: the politics of grievance.” He claims that the UK is suffering a governability crisis. “Leaving the EU was mis-sold as a quick fix,” Miliband wrote. “Now it looks like a decade-long process of unscrambling the eggs of the national and European legislation. Ministers cannot even agree among themselves the destination, the route map, or the vehicles to get us there.”

But the case against the EU depends on avoiding a discussion of the alternative, Miliband believes. “It is the equivalent of voting to repeal Obamacare without knowing the replacement. It is a stitch-up. That is one reason it is essential that parliament or the public are given the chance to have a straight vote between EU membership and the negotiated alternative.”

In an attempt to broaden the debate, Miliband made an impassioned plea for the EU to be seen as more than an economic bloc.

“The EU is not just a group of neighbouring countries. It is a coalition of democratic states which pledge to advance human rights, the rule of law and democratic rules. That is not a threat to Britain; it is the team we should be on.”

In recent weeks, Labour MPs Stephen Kinnock and Heidi Alexander and the Conservative Lord Hague have called for the UK to remain a member of the EEA – the regional free trade area that, in addition to all EU member states, includes Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

Supporters of Britain adopting an EEA “off-the-shelf option” say that it would allow for a smooth exit with minimum disruption for British business while maintaining access to the single market. Kinnock, who believes there may be 15 Tory MPs sympathetic to his plan for Britain to remain part of the EEA – enough for the government to lose a vote on the issue – said it would buy “time to negotiate the final state deal with the EU. It delivers certainty for business and workers, and it allows us to reform freedom of movement.”

The latter point is controversial. Liechtenstein has powers to restrict freedom of movement but it is a tiny country. Attempts by the UK to negotiate a similar deal are likely to be bitterly contested by Brussels.

The EEA idea, however, has found favour with Hammond. The government opposes the plan but Labour appears to be softening its stance and Miliband’s powerful intervention may help to sway the party’s rank and file.

'The leader that never was' I was wondering when he'd pop up again

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
              So the ISS is the first move by the human species to create an empire in the stars?

Not sure what Daesh have to do with it nor was I was aware they planned extra terrestrial colonisation. To the extent that they call themselves a 'Caliphate' they aspire to imperial ambitions. A Caliphate, same as an Empire claims to rule different peoples. Thus Queen Victoria was Empress of India etc... because India in itself consists of different peoples. To the British she was still 'Queen', though of course there are 'ethnic' divides within Britain itself between Celts, Saxons and what you might term 'people of Norwegian descent'. Also some Frogs like Farage who's family were French Huegenots, the Jews, the Flemmish protestants etc etc etc... So yea Daesh claim to rule 'the world' - all the now Muslim majority nations as well as everyone else be they Catholic, Buddhist or Hindu. Their view is that they are right and everyone else is wrong - all included.

Comment

• He's talking about ISS, as in the International Space Station, the fourth permanently manned outpost in space...

And yes, it is a first step.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
                  He's talking about ISS, as in the International Space Station, the fourth permanently manned outpost in space...

And yes, it is a first step.
                  Hopefully my new glasses arrive next week!

Comment

• /\ hahahaha ,,, not just me then .

Comment

• You can't create the beginnings of an empire in a near vacuum.....
                      Last edited by Toby; 14 Aug 17,, 15:23.

Comment

• UK to ask for 'Temporary Customs Union'

https://www.ft.com/content/b58ca3b6-...e-15b2513cb3ff

Ha! a customs union that allows freedom of movement for goods but not people and allows the UK to negotiate trade deals with the outside world.

The EU would be absolute mugs to allow this. Hope the UK government are prepared to be shot down (yet again).

Still waiting for all those German car manufacturers to ride to our rescue..

Comment

• zara , please relocate to the krauts

Comment

• Ha! a customs union that allows freedom of movement for goods but not people

Works for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by zara View Post

Still waiting for all those German car manufacturers to ride to our rescue..
                              Its the other way around Zara, especially after the emissions scandal. The Germans need to clean their act up if they want our custom!

Comment

zara , please relocate to the krauts
                                3 weeks Tankie, then I'm officially a migrant in Spain

Comment

Working...
                                X