The battle of Brexit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zara View Post

The Island of Ireland has been greatly enhanced in power and wealth thanks to the European Union, despite being a net contributor. It's not just about pounds and pence but even if it was single market membership leaves us quids in, just like the UK even if many Brits don't yet realise it.
    Ireland has never been a Net contributor..it's a beneficiary and good for them they've been crapped on enough....but don't pretend Uk leaving won't hurt RI coz that's just bollocks!

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...=1#post1023372
    Last edited by Toby; 31 Oct 17,, 09:31.

Comment

• It recently became a net contributor I believe.

Yep Brexit will hurt everyone, possibly ROI even more than the UK, I've never pretended otherwise. The biggest victim of all will be the Northern Irish sadly, unless they find a way to to be in both the UK and the single market.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
        Thats strange because my reading recently was basically saying we were as a country borrowing less than we had for a generation. My main Beef Snapper is this is all headlines..who do you believe because we are both quoting the same media or analyst's and they contradict themselves at an alarming rate......Alas people tend to read into things what they want to!
        With regards to your point about low wages. This in part has been caused by mass immigration. We have an EU working population from various countries in the east and southern Europe working for less money than their British counterpart. Which is great for employers but not so great for the employee. Alas I don't have this problem as I work for myself, but I am working harder than I have ever worked just to keep things on an even keel. It will be interesting to see if interest rates do go up. As you say they will have to to control inflation, but I reckon that could be potentially more damaging than higher inflation with regards to Mortgages
        OK so once your "I don't believe it" speech ends why is not the near record low unemployment resulting in raising wages but instead resulting in more consumer debt? Even if you take into account all the migrant doctors, nurses, builders, fruit pickers etc productivity is still falling and inflation is higher than wage/salary growth leaving people worse off and running up debt. These are just facts. Welcome to Brexit.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
          OK so once your "I don't believe it" speech ends why is not the near record low unemployment resulting in raising wages but instead resulting in more consumer debt? Even if you take into account all the migrant doctors, nurses, builders, fruit pickers etc productivity is still falling and inflation is higher than wage/salary growth leaving people worse off and running up debt. These are just facts. Welcome to Brexit.
          All that was happening before Brexit. largely due to immigration and the banking collapse in 2008 which has kept wages low at the lower end of the pay scale. The only difference now is the value of the pound which is directly affected by confidence in the marketplace. Lack of confidence caused by Brexit due to there being no EU deal in place causes a direct rise in inflation...Slightest hint of a deal and the pound starts to raise again which it just has done. Which is why we just paid a bill off to an EU country...2 or 3 cents is a few thousand pounds when you're bringing in wagon loads off the continent. When a deal is done with the EU the pound will rise and inflation will subside...

So all this blaming everything under the sun on BREXIT is nonsense!

Comment

• There's not going to be a deal. That seems so obvious. The hard brexiteers promised the moon to the voters and May will not be able to sell the necessary compromises to cut a deal with Europe.

Comment

There's not going to be a deal. That seems so obvious. The hard brexiteers promised the moon to the voters and May will not be able to sell the necessary compromises to cut a deal with Europe.
              Life is a compromise....why would this be any different. There's what you want to achieve and then there is what you can achieve. Happens all the time in business....

Comment

• Politics is not like business sadly.
                Can you really see a scenario where the EU will give us a deal without a hefty divorce bill? And do you really think labour and the hard brexiteers will not vote such a deal down?

Comment

Politics is not like business sadly.
                  Well it should be, because that's all this is (Business) and thats why politics is facing its biggest test ever after Brexit and the election of Trump
                  Can you really see a scenario where the EU will give us a deal without a hefty divorce bill? And do you really think labour and the hard brexiteers will not vote such a deal down?
                  What you are actually saying is that other entities have their greasy paws in other pots..i.e Their own! and you're happy caving into that form of blackmail? ..some fights are worth it!
                  Last edited by Toby; 01 Nov 17,, 23:20.

Comment

• That's not what I mean at all.
                    I'm saying that Mays government is too weak to broker the kind of compromise required to get a deal. If she gives the kind of sums Brussels is asking for or maintains any kind of ECJ role in open skies or citizens rights the hard brexiteers will bring her down, possibly even aided by Labour. If she sticks to her lancaster house vision there will be no trade deal and Labour, SNP, liberals and the Tory rebels will bring her down.

I'd but a €1000 on it if I had it. There will be no deal. She doesn't have the numbers.

Comment

• I agree. That is why I think Theresa has to go and a new election be held.

Comment

• More uncertainty..yeh great that so intelligent..why didn't I think of that moronic idea.......Hang on I think I know why ..It's wait for it ..playing into the hands of the Remainers and the Russians ..WOW!

Comment

• "Russian Embassy, UK‏Verified account @RussianEmbassy

“Russian links of Brexit” investigation: wonder why some British elites wish to discredit referendum results and the will of the people?"

Never believe it until Moscow denies it.

Comment

• The Russian connections to the British separatists is looking increasingly suspicious. The 'dark money' from the DUP via moscow and aroan banks may de-legitimise the referendum. But it needs hard evidence, hearsay won't do.

Comment

• Any money the Russians spent was badly spent..the majority in the UK already despised the EU. It would have had minimum impact on the result...The only people ..the ones who continually cry about the result are those that were doing very well out of it or should I say 'did' ....lining their pockets at the expense of the Northern /Industrial towns while London and the FAT elite got even fatter sucking the blood out of the rest... But alas the pendulum swung the other way as it always does.

Comment

• https://www.theguardian.com/politics...P=share_btn_tw

Comment

Working...
                                X