Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041

Thread: The battle of Brexit!

Quote Originally Posted by zara View Post
    Not sure where you got the 90Billion figure for Germany alone, everything I've read put the trade deficit for the whole of Europe at 70 billion... do you mean trade defecit? Or something else.

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/
    http://researchbriefings.files.parli...1/CBP-7851.pdf

Remember the EU parliament has to ratify any Brexit deal so all countries get a say. Also The Council must approve of the progress Barnier makes, so they also have influence there. In the end each individual country gets a veto on the deal negotiated.

True that the larger economies weild greater influence, but thats hardly much different to how England weilds dispro-portinate power over the NI, Scotland, Wales and Gibraltar.
    Thanks for correcting me. Cooking at the same time....not concentrating fully

German exports in 2016
    Third largest - United Kingdom: $95.1 billion which is 7.1% of German exports
    Added to
    French exports in 2016
    Fifth largest United Kingdom: $34.8 billion which is 7.1% of french exports
    Total =$129.9 billion

UK Exports in 2016
    Germany: $43.6 billion (10.7%)
    France: $25.9 billion (6.3%)
    Total =$69.5 billion which is effectively half of what we buy from them.

Thats a lot of money! and there is absolutely no way any sane person would jeopardise that trade
    Last edited by Toby; Yesterday at 21:45.

Quote Originally Posted by zara View Post
    So the leaks say that tomorrow May will offer to pay into the EU up until the end of 2020 in return for a 2 year transition period in the single market but an alternative customs union that allows us to make trade deals outside the EU. That would be awesome if the EU said yes, but its a terrible deal for them. Even if they did accept the bill (said to be worth €20 billion), the UK have still to propose a workable solution for Ireland (Wet border) and rights on EU citizens before the member states will allow Barnier to talk about a future trade deal. Cant see how the EU can accept this as anything other than a starting point..
    Ireland will be given special status...but like I said I reckon Calais will also...It's the only intelligent solution....but these are negotiations and nobody's really shown their hand yet..

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Ireland will be given special status...but like I said I reckon Calais will also...It's the only intelligent solution....but these are negotiations and nobody's really shown their hand yet..
    Still no ones explained how that can work.
    By 'Calais having special status'.. does that mean the whole of the EU?

I guess thats one innovative way to solve it. All 27 leave the single market and immeadiately join the the brand new British single Market and Customs Union.
    Well move the ECJ to Manchester and everyone's happy.

Messy init....but the horse has already bolted..they need to face the new reality. Something the EU are proving they are not very good at....again!

Senior Contributor
    Just watched Mays florence speech..

So she wants a bigger deal than Canada, but outside the single market and customs union with a transition phase. For this well pay our normal fees up till 2021 (no mention of the rebate). Im suprised she didnt explicity say that the UK could forge trade deals with 3rd countries during this period.

EU nationals rights would be codified into British law so no need for the ECJ, but British courts could if they wanted 'refer to the ECJ'.

EU migrants to register during the transition period.

No mention of divorce bill, and no details on the Irish border.

Spent 7 minutes talking about how great the British are.

I imagine the EU will welcome the payments for the transition period, but will want to make clear that this is not the same as the divorce bill.
    Guy Verhostadht has already said that the Migrant registration scheme is unacceptable.

As Article 50 states in order to extend the 2 year period, ALL member states must agree. The republic of Ireland will never agree to anything but a wet border, but the DUP who hold the government to ransom would sooner bring down the government than allow this to happen. So neither the EU, nor the British government will be able to pass the votes required to deliver the transition period!

I'm rapidly losing hope for any deal at all...
    Last edited by zara; Today at 19:11.

Thread Information