The battle of Brexit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zara View Post
    No different from when May or Johnson say it. A seccessionist is a seccessionist whether its the EU, the UK, Catalonia, Tibet, Kurdistan or anyone else.
    Maybe we should get genetic samples to blow your nationalistic agenda to smithereens

Comment

• End of today will let us know if a 2nd referendum is on its way ,,dim tims crew will be skewered tho as will UKIP , but lord , please not paddy el al cor. bin .

Comment

• so tankie, who are ya going to be voting for?
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I honestly am in a quandry asty , or was i have placed my x on the **** party ��

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
            I honestly am in a quandry asty , or was i have placed my x on the **** party ��
            Was there a choice? Tory party were shockingly complacent in the run up but compared to the alternative of Mao and Fidel and wanker liberal No.1 .......Go figure!

Comment

• Darlington still Labour Tankie....thought you'd have been out there marshalling everybody pal ...;)

Comment

• From what I am reading this is a disaster for the Conservatives and Theresa May's position - as Leader of the Conservative Party and PM - is much in doubt. Corbyn would be a disaster and bankruptcy.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                  From what I am reading this is a disaster for the Conservatives and Theresa May's position - as Leader of the Conservative Party and PM - is much in doubt. Corbyn would be a disaster and bankruptcy.
                  It is a bizarre result Snapper. If someone told you May would raise the Tory share of the vote by 5.5% - the best Tory result since Thatcher - you would assume an easy win. Similarly, if you said she would get more than 10 Scottish MPs you would think the same (someone joked it was the first time in history Scotland had more Tories than pandas). The only thing stranger than that result not guaranteeing a majority of any sort is that a Labour leader who would have been considered far left in Michael Foot's time would get his party over 40% of the vote.

Oh, and not to forget the bizarre spectacle of the Ulster Unionists holding the balance of power. Bet champagne corks haven't popped like this in their ranks since Stormont got shut down in the 70s.

At a time when we are assured 'mainstream' parties are on the nose, they got their highest combined share of the UK vote in over 50 years. I assume tactical voting played its role, but the collapse of UKIP & to a lesser extent the SNP (and the Lib Dems last time) has created a truly unexpected phenomenon.

So, having got that impressive share of the vote, May is relying on a shallow talent pool & the inability of her rivals to coalesce around one decent one to keep her job. She ran a campaign so bad it will be studied in textbooks - Michaels Foot & Howard will have to settle for silver & bronze.

Corbyn can probably stay leader until he dies if he chooses. That will probably cheer Tories. His faults are as big as his undoubted positives and I'm still to be convinced he can pick up the 30-40 more seats Labour needs. What he does wiht the next 5 years will be crucial to the next generation of Labour in the UK.

This election will be a gold mine for psephologists and pundits. Can't wait for the battling analyses to come out.
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Oops, for got to mention political gutter crawler Lynton Crosby. The political equivalent of a slow moving cancer & a man who has tried to drag politics down to its most base elements for decades. He was the guy behind this campaign. Hopefully he is cast back into the abyss from which he slithered.
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• God we're in a mess.
                      Activating article 50 and then calling a general election was an act of gross stupidity, the UK is paralysed - were truly at the mercy of Brussels now.
                      Glad I'm out of this sinking ship!

Comment

• Maybe that was the plan all along. Call an election so the UK can claim they can't talk about money; create a hung parliament to further extend the stop in talking Brexit. The question would be: whose plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
                          Maybe that was the plan all along. Call an election so the UK can claim they can't talk about money; create a hung parliament to further extend the stop in talking Brexit. The question would be: whose plan.
                          Your giving us too much credit. There was no plan.. this whole debacle was an enourmous idiotic Tory ****-up from start to finish -those morons are not fit to rule

Comment

• Gigantic clusterf**k now .

Comment

• I need some analysis from our friends across the pond. WTF just happened? What is going to happen?
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                                WTF just happened?
                                Pretty much, by my interpretation:
                                - UKIP lost all its protest-party supporters after Brexit and since it's a FPTP system those 15% being redistributed among other parties led to significant changes in who got which districts.
                                - Overall turnout was stronger with probably mostly Labour voters flocking to the booths to oppose May, leading to the Tories losing some key districts.
                                - In strong pro-Brexit areas (eastern England) the UKIP voter migration seems to have evenly split between either Tories and Labour or Tories and LibDems, without the added-turnout effect above.
                                - The Tories meanwhile got a major boost in Scotland from people opposing Scottish secession (+15 to +20% in those districts they won there), which mitigated this somewhat.
                                - Some constituencies were decided on pretty minor differences, business as normal.

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                                What is going to happen?
                                Same as before, though May's weaker. Being supported by the DUP (the Northern-Irish pro-England party) will probably lead to some friction on Ireland with regard to Brexit in the long run and may impact some regional politics, but other than that not much difference.

Comment

Working...
                                X