X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday night
    Attached Files

Comment

Wednesday night. I do believe the Red Griffins drawing was tagged by one of the private employees that worked for the private contractor that looks after the retired ships.
      Attached Files

Comment

Saturday night
        Attached Files

Comment

Where did I leave off?
          Attached Files

Comment

How recent (or aged) are these wonderful photos.
            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

August 2014, Rusty.

Secondary Con and Windlass
              Attached Files

Comment

That's awesome you got to go inside it! I've been inside both the Hornet and Midway, and would love to go in a newer carrier. Overall what did you think compared to an Essex carrier?

Comment

Well, since I get to go on the Hornet every week I should be able to say what stands out to me. I have been on the Midway once back in 2003 when it was docked at a Port of Oakland pier awaiting tow down to San Diego. The Midway was simply an enlarged Essex Class to me with a larger flight deck and decreased head room.

What stood out on the Ranger was:

1. Walking alongside the ship one is immediately impressed by how large and long it is. Sponsons and flight deck almost overhang the pier.
                  2. On stepping into the hanger deck one quickly sees how much larger and taller the space is than on an Essex. That jumped right out at me.
                  3. The flight deck is immense as is the Island.
                  4. The Forrestal Class has more machinery of the 2nd Deck than an Essex Class does as most of it is on 3rd Deck and down.

Comment

Working...
                  X