https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rz5OY3LxBRyMOQ

2 still plays quite well

Comment

Cheers

Comment

Bit out of sync but still worth a listen

Last edited by Toby; 18 Nov 17,, 01:42.

Comment

In WW2 the SAS destroyed more aircraft on the ground than the RAF did in the air

The amazing thing that comes across from the first set of videos is the rivalry and how people within the military wanted the SAS regiment gone. Why ? nothing more than it made others look bad

And they were disbanded after WW2 only to get put back together a couple of years later.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 18 Nov 17,, 02:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            The amazing thing that comes across from the first set of videos is the rivalry and how people within the military wanted the SAS regiment gone. Why ? nothing more than it made them look bad

And they were disbanded after WW2 only to get put back together a couple of years later.
            Maybe they were reluctant to acknowledge that warfare is Dirty and ungentlemanly and yet they were quite happy to send thousands into bullets at the Somme..I call them callous Basterds..I'm sure you have words to..

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
              Maybe they were reluctant to acknowledge that warfare is Dirty and ungentlemanly and yet they were quite happy to send thousands into bullets at the Somme..I call them callous Basterds..I'm sure you have words to..
              Hypocritical and callous

Comment

When i watch these videos i think about attacks in my country on army bases or 26/11. The tactics are the same.

Send in a bunch of highly motivated individuals to cause havoc using the element of surprise. Except these guys won't be coming back.

Very difficult to defend against, costs little and has good PR. Drove Hitler round the bend

Comment

When i watch these videos i think about attacks in my country on army bases or 26/11. The tactics are the same.

Send in a bunch of highly motivated individuals to cause havoc using the element of surprise. Except these guys won't be coming back.

Very difficult to defend against, costs little and has good PR. Drove Hitler round the bend
                  I take it you are referring to the Islamic terrorist trend of tying a bomb around your torso and detonating it to kill innocent and military indiscriminately?

Comment

Hypocritical and callous
                    Quite!

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
                      I take it you are referring to the Islamic terrorist trend of tying a bomb around your torso and detonating it to kill innocent and military indiscriminately?
                      No, i mean the commando style attacks, thats the kind of suicide attackers we get here. Did lose a PM that way but to another outfit

They don't strap bomb to themselves here iianm, not the islamic ones anyway. Maybe if cornered but not as the first action. The bombers would plant them in public places and then remotely detonate them

The other thing is there is no muslim feel to it at all, just a Pak feel
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 18 Nov 17,, 18:26.

Comment

No, i mean the commando style attacks, thats the kind of suicide attackers we get here. Did lose a PM that way but to another outfit

They don't strap bomb to themselves here iianm, not the islamic ones anyway. Maybe if cornered but not as the first action. The bombers would plant them in public places and then remotely detonate them
                        Ah apologies I misunderstood, the Glenmorangie was too good last night...

1991! Can't believe Rajiv Gandhi was killed so long ago..

Trying to get around to finishing a book on Paddy Mayne, I think I post the title in the Book section. Very telling how the SAS were used in Italy in conjunction with the regular army units. Mayne basically redefined their role to suite the Armies requirement ...they were operating like bandits / Forward Reconnaissance. Taking on far larger German units, Unsettling them into believing they were being opposed by strong forward elements of the main army. When in fact in many cases they were completely independent. I find it fascinating how it evolved and how effective it was
                        Last edited by Toby; 18 Nov 17,, 15:24.

Comment

Proof of the pudding is everybody tried to copy them. So that's got to be good

He was talking about how many lost in the Falklands, 22 was it. This is considered a high figure

It reminded me of a similar figure put out by the CIA, for Afghanistan, 18 which is higher than the total lost in Vietnam

Those figures seem so low yet are still considered significant

Comment

The amazing thing that comes across from the first set of videos is the rivalry and how people within the military wanted the SAS regiment gone. Why ? nothing more than it made others look bad
                            This happens in all armies. The SF takes the best of the best and that means that for the line regiments, they loose their best people to these regts. The regts spend years cultivating leaders, only to lose them to the spec ops. The only way to keep them in the line regts is to offer these people faster promotion and more perks. However, sometimes, that is just not possible as the slots are already filled with capable people.

The SF are also first in line at budget time.

However, because of their nature, SF regts are not up for regular deployments while the line regts do most of that work. From the line regts POV, the SF gets the most money, gets to play most of the time, steals the best people, and don't do most of the work.

Any wonder why there is such animosity?
                            Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                              This happens in all armies. The SF takes the best of the best and that means that for the line regiments, they loose their best people to these regts. The regts spend years cultivating leaders, only to lose them to the spec ops. The only way to keep them in the line regts is to offer these people faster promotion and more perks. However, sometimes, that is just not possible as the slots are already filled with capable people.
                              In the latest talk, this soldier mentioned he managed to get a warrant officer's pay only because he was in the sas despite holding a rank no higher than a staff seargent

it was all confusing but he had one rank in the army and a shadow rank with the sas and the better pay followed the latter

However, because of their nature, SF regts are not up for regular deployments while the line regts do most of that work. From the line regts POV, the SF gets the most money, gets to play most of the time, steals the best people, and don't do most of the work.

Any wonder why there is such animosity?
                              Proper bunch of scoundrels, lol

We never get to find out about their exploits until half a century later
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 18 Nov 17,, 19:27.

Comment

Working...
                              X