SAS: Rogue Warriors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    This happens in all armies. The SF takes the best of the best and that means that for the line regiments, they loose their best people to these regts. The regts spend years cultivating leaders, only to lose them to the spec ops. The only way to keep them in the line regts is to offer these people faster promotion and more perks. However, sometimes, that is just not possible as the slots are already filled with capable people.

The SF are also first in line at budget time.

However, because of their nature, SF regts are not up for regular deployments while the line regts do most of that work. From the line regts POV, the SF gets the most money, gets to play most of the time, steals the best people, and don't do most of the work.

Any wonder why there is such animosity?
    Hmm not sure that tallies with my reading. For instance the British Army including SF is always put into theatre with the bare minimum, then commences to play catch up and its been this way ever since I can remember. I've read countless personal accounts of not enough gear and I'm talking the basics..like ammunition, food, body armour, quality boots to suite terrain etc I think the British army prides its self in not having enough of anything...the last complete fiasco was putting Snatch landrovers into Afghanistan and then not providing adequate helicopters to ferry troops causing countless needless casualties due to IED's..Turns out they'd(MOD) only procured the wrong spec of Chinook and left them in a hanger doing nothing because they weren't fit for purpose. Then when the bodies started to pile up, some slightly less retarded person decided maybe it a good idea to fix those Chinooks in that hanger that are doin nothing...if it wasn't so serious it would be funny

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      Proof of the pudding is everybody tried to copy them. So that's got to be good

He was talking about how many lost in the Falklands, 22 was it. This is considered a high figure

It reminded me of a similar figure put out by the CIA, for Afghanistan, 18 which is higher than the total lost in Vietnam

Those figures seem so low yet are still considered significant
      Not sure which figure you are referring to But these are official deaths to my knowledge.... 649 Argentine military personnel, 255 British military personnel, and three Falkland Islanders died during the hostilities

Ok I understand your point yes 21 in total but 20 in a cross deck transfer (heli).....from what I have heard elsewhere suicidal weather, no sane person would attempt it and unfortunately they hit a bird which took the heli engine out..More or less I think it was most of D Squadron
      Last edited by Toby; 18 Nov 17,, 20:34.

Comment

In WW2 the SAS destroyed more aircraft on the ground than the RAF did in the air

The amazing thing that comes across from the first set of videos is the rivalry and how people within the military wanted the SAS regiment gone. Why ? nothing more than it made others look bad

And they were disbanded after WW2 only to get put back together a couple of years later.
        Once Sterling had figured out that it was better to go in behind the lines using the LRDG..everything else fell into place

Not just the SAS but the Commando's as a whole were opposed by the established order....Which if you think about it you can relate to other things in life. Desperate times require radical solutions!

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
          I've read countless personal accounts of not enough gear and I'm talking the basics..like ammunition, food, body armour, quality boots to suite terrain etc I think the British army prides its self in not having enough of anything......if it wasn't so serious it would be funny
          You're talking abut the British army ? because it sounded as if you were talking about the Indian army, lol

OOE informed us a while back that every army says the same thing. Not enough resources

Comment

You're talking abut the British army ? because it sounded as if you were talking about the Indian army, lol
            You guys learnt all our good traits, give em FA and they fight harder. Give them everything and you end up with the US army...enough said!

OOE informed us a while back that every army says the same thing. Not enough resources
            Not wrong! I'd still seriously kick a few chairs plus occupant over at the MOD though....

Comment

Give them everything and you end up with the US army...enough said!
              Same story there too

Remember this

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ut-body-armor/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/03...by-troops.html

Comment

and this

and Tony Bliar is still walking around with a big smile...but he's safe now because he converted to catalcholicism after leaving office
                Last edited by Toby; 18 Nov 17,, 22:11.

Comment

Hmm not sure that tallies with my reading. For instance the British Army including SF is always put into theatre with the bare minimum, then commences to play catch up and its been this way ever since I can remember. I've read countless personal accounts of not enough gear and I'm talking the basics..like ammunition, food, body armour, quality boots to suite terrain etc I think the British army prides its self in not having enough of anything...the last complete fiasco was putting Snatch landrovers into Afghanistan and then not providing adequate helicopters to ferry troops causing countless needless casualties due to IED's..Turns out they'd(MOD) only procured the wrong spec of Chinook and left them in a hanger doing nothing because they weren't fit for purpose. Then when the bodies started to pile up, some slightly less retarded person decided maybe it a good idea to fix those Chinooks in that hanger that are doin nothing...if it wasn't so serious it would be funny
                  There can never be enough of anything. You just make do. However, the road picture was a command decision. Helo transport was reserved for RRF. The roads, however, cannot be surrendered. You don't traverse it and show your presence, you give freedom of movement to the Taliban. To deny them that movement, you have to risk IED exposure.
                  Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                    There can never be enough of anything. You just make do. However, the road picture was a command decision. Helo transport was reserved for RRF. The roads, however, cannot be surrendered. You don't traverse it and show your presence, you give freedom of movement to the Taliban. To deny them that movement, you have to risk IED exposure.
                    Sounded kinda Donald Rumsfeld for a moment there.. ;-) I would only listen with respect to the strategy, which makes sense. thank you for speaking in plain terms. My beef is with the quartermasters allowance and where that allowance is allocated...You live long enough and you see the same mistakes repeated again and again...and people/Soldiers are lost as a consequence of neglect by politicians covering their own arses...

Comment

This is the Modification carried out on the 8 Chinooks procured wrongly and then mothballed. Basically the mod entails replacing the flight system. Which clearly is not a simple job.

Comment

My beef is with the quartermasters allowance and where that allowance is allocated...You live long enough and you see the same mistakes repeated again and again...and people/Soldiers are lost as a consequence of neglect by politicians covering their own arses...
                        Never believe them when they say you will "get it in-country." Biggest lie ever. Bring what you need or expect to do without.

Comment

Originally posted by JCT View Post
                          Never believe them when they say you will "get it in-country." Biggest lie ever. Bring what you need or expect to do without.
                          Watching the deployment of British troops in Afghanistan without adequate armour to transport them was avoidable. It all boils down to money and where a government's priorities lie. Clearly its ok for a few hundred of our lads to get their limbs blown off to protect excessive waste at the MOD. The way we are going, there will be more staff at the MOD than in the army. Its bollocks and it makes my blood boil that they care more about their pensions and workers rights than they do about Soldiers put in the firing line. How they managed to hold their own initially is purely down to training and professionalism, all credit to them and Shame on the MOD!

Comment

Comment

Rogue warriors can be found here

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Comment

Working...
                              X