Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: SAS: Rogue Warriors

  1. #16
    Senior Contributor Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    This happens in all armies. The SF takes the best of the best and that means that for the line regiments, they loose their best people to these regts. The regts spend years cultivating leaders, only to lose them to the spec ops. The only way to keep them in the line regts is to offer these people faster promotion and more perks. However, sometimes, that is just not possible as the slots are already filled with capable people.

    The SF are also first in line at budget time.

    However, because of their nature, SF regts are not up for regular deployments while the line regts do most of that work. From the line regts POV, the SF gets the most money, gets to play most of the time, steals the best people, and don't do most of the work.

    Any wonder why there is such animosity?
    Hmm not sure that tallies with my reading. For instance the British Army including SF is always put into theatre with the bare minimum, then commences to play catch up and its been this way ever since I can remember. I've read countless personal accounts of not enough gear and I'm talking the basics..like ammunition, food, body armour, quality boots to suite terrain etc I think the British army prides its self in not having enough of anything...the last complete fiasco was putting Snatch landrovers into Afghanistan and then not providing adequate helicopters to ferry troops causing countless needless casualties due to IED's..Turns out they'd(MOD) only procured the wrong spec of Chinook and left them in a hanger doing nothing because they weren't fit for purpose. Then when the bodies started to pile up, some slightly less retarded person decided maybe it a good idea to fix those Chinooks in that hanger that are doin nothing...if it wasn't so serious it would be funny

  2. #17
    Senior Contributor Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    Proof of the pudding is everybody tried to copy them. So that's got to be good

    He was talking about how many lost in the Falklands, 22 was it. This is considered a high figure

    It reminded me of a similar figure put out by the CIA, for Afghanistan, 18 which is higher than the total lost in Vietnam

    Those figures seem so low yet are still considered significant
    Not sure which figure you are referring to But these are official deaths to my knowledge.... 649 Argentine military personnel, 255 British military personnel, and three Falkland Islanders died during the hostilities

    Ok I understand your point yes 21 in total but 20 in a cross deck transfer (heli).....from what I have heard elsewhere suicidal weather, no sane person would attempt it and unfortunately they hit a bird which took the heli engine out..More or less I think it was most of D Squadron
    Last edited by Toby; 18 Nov 17, at 20:34.

  3. #18
    Senior Contributor Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    In WW2 the SAS destroyed more aircraft on the ground than the RAF did in the air

    The amazing thing that comes across from the first set of videos is the rivalry and how people within the military wanted the SAS regiment gone. Why ? nothing more than it made others look bad

    And they were disbanded after WW2 only to get put back together a couple of years later.
    Once Sterling had figured out that it was better to go in behind the lines using the LRDG..everything else fell into place

    Not just the SAS but the Commando's as a whole were opposed by the established order....Which if you think about it you can relate to other things in life. Desperate times require radical solutions!

  4. #19
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    6,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I've read countless personal accounts of not enough gear and I'm talking the basics..like ammunition, food, body armour, quality boots to suite terrain etc I think the British army prides its self in not having enough of anything......if it wasn't so serious it would be funny
    You're talking abut the British army ? because it sounded as if you were talking about the Indian army, lol

    OOE informed us a while back that every army says the same thing. Not enough resources

  5. #20
    Senior Contributor Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    You're talking abut the British army ? because it sounded as if you were talking about the Indian army, lol
    You guys learnt all our good traits, give em FA and they fight harder. Give them everything and you end up with the US army...enough said!

    OOE informed us a while back that every army says the same thing. Not enough resources
    Not wrong! I'd still seriously kick a few chairs plus occupant over at the MOD though....

  6. #21
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    6,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Give them everything and you end up with the US army...enough said!
    Same story there too


    Remember this

    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ut-body-armor/

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/03...by-troops.html

  7. #22
    Senior Contributor Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    and this

    and Tony Bliar is still walking around with a big smile...but he's safe now because he converted to catalcholicism after leaving office
    Last edited by Toby; 18 Nov 17, at 22:11.

  8. #23
    Regular
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Hmm not sure that tallies with my reading. For instance the British Army including SF is always put into theatre with the bare minimum, then commences to play catch up and its been this way ever since I can remember. I've read countless personal accounts of not enough gear and I'm talking the basics..like ammunition, food, body armour, quality boots to suite terrain etc I think the British army prides its self in not having enough of anything...the last complete fiasco was putting Snatch landrovers into Afghanistan and then not providing adequate helicopters to ferry troops causing countless needless casualties due to IED's..Turns out they'd(MOD) only procured the wrong spec of Chinook and left them in a hanger doing nothing because they weren't fit for purpose. Then when the bodies started to pile up, some slightly less retarded person decided maybe it a good idea to fix those Chinooks in that hanger that are doin nothing...if it wasn't so serious it would be funny
    There can never be enough of anything. You just make do. However, the road picture was a command decision. Helo transport was reserved for RRF. The roads, however, cannot be surrendered. You don't traverse it and show your presence, you give freedom of movement to the Taliban. To deny them that movement, you have to risk IED exposure.

  9. #24
    Senior Contributor Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    There can never be enough of anything. You just make do. However, the road picture was a command decision. Helo transport was reserved for RRF. The roads, however, cannot be surrendered. You don't traverse it and show your presence, you give freedom of movement to the Taliban. To deny them that movement, you have to risk IED exposure.
    Sounded kinda Donald Rumsfeld for a moment there.. ;-) I would only listen with respect to the strategy, which makes sense. thank you for speaking in plain terms. My beef is with the quartermasters allowance and where that allowance is allocated...You live long enough and you see the same mistakes repeated again and again...and people/Soldiers are lost as a consequence of neglect by politicians covering their own arses...

  10. #25
    Senior Contributor Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,267
    This is the Modification carried out on the 8 Chinooks procured wrongly and then mothballed. Basically the mod entails replacing the flight system. Which clearly is not a simple job.


  11. #26
    Military Professional JCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Apr 05
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    My beef is with the quartermasters allowance and where that allowance is allocated...You live long enough and you see the same mistakes repeated again and again...and people/Soldiers are lost as a consequence of neglect by politicians covering their own arses...
    Never believe them when they say you will "get it in-country." Biggest lie ever. Bring what you need or expect to do without.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Star Wars: Rogue One
    By TopHatter in forum Movie & TV Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06 Jan 17,, 20:12
  2. Best warriors of the ancient ara?
    By Jim Ray in forum Ancient, Medieval & Early Modern Ages
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 06 Aug 13,, 03:07
  3. Wounded Warriors
    By ashish in forum Ground Warfare
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21 Mar 09,, 21:41
  4. Palin's 'going rogue,' McCain aide says
    By Ironduke in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 29 Oct 08,, 11:39
  5. Jerome Kerviel Rogue Trader
    By Traps in forum International Politics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28 Jan 08,, 18:32

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •