Two Chinas and the Donald

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
    To what extent do your "actual experience and practical view" actually count and consist of?
    That vague 30 years experience caught my attention also. I've got 45 years worth.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      That vague 30 years experience caught my attention also.
      Nothing vague about it. 30 years of Installation, maintenance of imported Italian machinery..If I was being vague I could have said 48 yrs

I've got 45 years worth.
      Of working on Chinese machinery or breathing?

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
        To what extent do your "actual experience and practical view" actually count and consist of?
        Why whose asking???

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
          Of working on Chinese machinery or breathing?
          Drinking bourbon, duh...

Comment

Drinking bourbon, duh...
            Prefer Whisky myself

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
              Prefer Whisky myself
              Hmm...
              Attached Files

Comment

Hmm...
                Thats a nice whisky!! Had that quite a bit when I lived in Tejas

Just bought some of this and its really good ....seriously good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	jameson-select-reserve-black-barrel-small-batch-blended-irish-whiskey-county-cork-ireland-103667.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1470404

Comment

Being Irish I have that one of course.

Comment

Being Irish I have that one of course.
                    Bought it at Xmas, coz I was drunk ..normally I'm quite happy with the normal Jamie. But I'm so glad I did buy it, its lovely!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
                      Why whose asking???
                      So installing Italian machinery makes you more qualified to comment on Chinese economic and industrial developments than say, DOR?

Comment

• Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                        So installing Italian machinery makes you more qualified to comment on than say, DOR?
                        I commented on the quality of the goods I have repaired.. an increasing number of which are Chinese...I am more qualified than DOR in terms electrical wiring systems, refrigerants, fabrication, general design etc...I dont pretend to be better than DOR on Chinese economic and industrial developments.... Oh and we've been importing since 1982..So I've lived through components that were manufactured to work at 220v and then exported to a 240v country with no tolerance..I'm now experiencing dire Chinese quality control, because there is no quality control. Its not good enough to pretend that all Chinese goods are built to Apple or Samsung quality because they aint!!!

In my field the best thing I've seen that impressed me and it was Chinese was their electroplating, its far superior than the Italian equivalent and as DOR said they are going to get better.

Comment

I commented on the quality of the goods I have repaired.. an increasing number of which are Chinese...I am more qualified than DOR in terms electrical wiring systems, refrigerants, fabrication, general design etc...I dont pretend to be better than DOR on Chinese economic and industrial developments.... Oh and we've been importing since 1982..So I've lived through components that were manufactured to work at 220v and then exported to a 240v country with no tolerance..I'm now experiencing dire Chinese quality control, because there is no quality control. Its not good enough to pretend that all Chinese goods are built to Apple or Samsung quality because they aint!!!

In my field the best thing I've seen that impressed me and it was Chinese was their electroplating, its far superior than the Italian equivalent and as DOR said they are going to get better.
                          The reason that I have misgivings about your supposed lack of quality control in Chinese manufacturing in general is that quality control methods are accessible to the entire Chinese economy.

What is to stop a Chinese firm from poaching Chinese QA expert from one of the Western or Taiwanese manufacturers and catch up to them in QA rapidly? It is the right move if they want to move up the value chain.

Any Chinese manufacturer with the ability and willingness to do so would have done so. What is left are cash-strapped firms which are scraping by selling poor quality products, or poorly managed firms which have no aspiration to move up the value chain. I suppose your experience has been with the latter kind of manufacturers.

Comment

Just for the record, I completely accept Toby's expertise in his field, and humbly acknowledge his kind respect of my own. Let's not make it personal.
                            Trust me?
                            I'm an economist!

Comment

• Ok, If I use Ice machines as an example.... I 've noticed a wide variation in quality based around the same design. British importers tend to badge products under their own name. So its difficult to know which factory they were assembled in. So basically what I'm aiming at is they are clearly being produced in dozens of factories. Long term some of these factories are going to shut down if their quality control does not improve, As they will lose orders. Survival of the fittest I think they call it. Factories that embrace change and adapt to better working practice will succeed.
                              Some problems are not due to manufacture they are caused by filling shipping containers incorrectly. As you may or may not know Refrigeration should not be laid down on its side for long. Unfortunately many problems I've experienced are due to the refrigeration being loaded badly...and then spending weeks at sea while it travels half way around the globe. Giving the oil in the compressor plenty of time to contaminate the refrigeration circuit. I basically have to remove the refrigerant and then attempt to unblock the system..Usually I remove the dryer and put a burnout dryer on the system which captures unwanted oil in the system. Sometimes that doesn't even work. As you can appreciate this is very time consuming.
                              The main attraction for alot of the machinery I see is price..purely price. Longevity is a major issue though and increasingly people are getting wise to the fact that the 3rd Chinese icemachine they bought 12 months ago has broken again...and guess what there are limited parts available if any at all. So they either go buy the same again or they buy something that will last more long term.....

I came on this site to read informed opinions and I have done frequently. I've learn quite a bit from DOR and he's helped me realise how difficult it would be to transplant the industrial base in China to another part of the globe. Not impossible but would it be worth it.
                              Last edited by Toby; 05 Feb 17,, 17:32.

Comment

• Carrie Lam Cheung Yuet-ngor

Chief Secretary Carrie Lam was (s)elected as Hong Kong's next Chief Executive, effective on the 20th anniversary of The Handover, The Great Chinese Take-Away, or The Hangover, depending on your point of view.

That's July 1, 2017, for the memory challenged.

She took a convincing 67% (777) of the 1,163 valid ballots cast by the 1,200-strong (weak) Election Committee, compared to 365 (31%) for former Financial Secretary John Tsang and 21 votes for retired judge Woo Kwok-hing. Her vote total was higher than that of her predecessor, the deeply unpopular (after five years) CY Leung.
                                Trust me?
                                I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                                X