Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Two Chinas and the Donald

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I'm always suspicious of people who claim to be this that or the other. Especially when they feel the need to put somebody down. I'd say that amounts lack of credentials, and clearly lack of character. Good luck with your brave new China. xxx
    So we should be suspicious of our doctors when they recommend surgery to take out that tumor, I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by hboGYT View Post
    It's not price oriented stupidity, but cost-effectiveness optimisation. Western good are more economic when you need functionality, precision or reliability, but in terms of mere durability, you're better off buying a Chinese make of fair quality at a fraction of the price, especially of products that come with warranties and that get replaced every few years anyway.

As an aside, DOR, you mentioned Jardines, would you say that Jardines is still a good career option nowadays?
    If you like being part of a large, bureaucratic organization, then yes, Jardines is a good employer. Some people find the traditional HR practices too confining, but others appreciate the structured approach.

ipads and iphones are western designs made cheaply in China using Western machinery. Lets face it DOR your understanding of Engineering is none existent!
    Toby,

Say what you like, China manufacturers a massive amount of low quality goods. The majority of which is inferior compared to European or Western goods. Its just price orientated stupidity that keeps their exports afloat. Certainly not the quality.
    Manufacturing, not design was the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
    So we should be suspicious of our doctors when they recommend surgery to take out that tumor, I take it?
    Especially doctors, Half are overly optimistic while the other half spend their time being dismissive......

Quote Originally Posted by DOR View Post
    Toby,
    Tis I!

Manufacturing, not design was the topic
    Everything that is manufactured is designed. The horse pulls the cart where I'm from.

Regular
    Especially doctors, Half are overly optimistic while the other half spend their time being dismissive......
    Not a come back at all. As someone who's medically untrained, what can you do when you're faced with medical advice that you don't like? You can ask questions or get second opinions, but ultimately you have to defer to doctors' expertise. The bottom line is, you can't diagnose anything beyond common ailments without a doctor.

Again, how is this an argument to eschew the wisdom of those who are more educated than you in the current topic?

Regular
    Tis I!

Everything that is manufactured is designed. The horse pulls the cart where I'm from.
    DOR was probably referring to the QA process. To be honest, I thought you were only belittling Chinese QA, too.

I don't get how a Chinese firm manufacturing high quality goods with Western machinery and practices is any less of an accomplishment than a Western firm manufacturing high quality goods with Western machinery and practices. They have done exactly the same thing. Firms are going to use the state of art machinery and practices, which happen to be Western in many cases due to its head start. In the case of smart phones, Foxconn may have already stolen the lead due to investment and experience mass producing them. Practice makes perfect.

In fact, the more I think about your post, the more confused I become. In today's interconnected global economy, not many countries can economically equip its entire industry. Only a handful of countries can produce precision CNC machine tools. If we disaggregate the West into individual countries which you arbitrarily aggregated, then by your logic, not many of them can produce high quality goods either.

Not a come back at all. As someone who's medically untrained, what can you do when you're faced with medical advice that you don't like? You can ask questions or get second opinions, but ultimately you have to defer to doctors' expertise. The bottom line is, you can't diagnose anything beyond common ailments without a doctor.

Again, how is this an argument to eschew the wisdom of those who are more educated than you in the current topic?
    But, where were you the last 10 years?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

[*sigh*]
    If only economists were treated with as much respect ...

Regular
    Tis I!

Toby, your inclination to refer to examples of the past for examples of quality manufactured goods, kindled my memory on what a shocking car the British made TR7 was.
    Faults included the electrical system continually short circuiting, leaking roof,timing chain snapping,premature oil and water pump failure,and the rear axle falling off.
    I don't think I need to go on about the Austin Allegro, which was probably one of the worse made cars.

Quote Originally Posted by DOR View Post
    [*sigh*]
    If only economists were treated with as much respect ...
    If only you guys had a consensus like doctors do ;-)
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
    A wise guy, eh...

Text book spoon fed morons reading directly out of The world for idiots....Please continue, its breath takingly numb and transparent....

Regular
    Text book spoon fed morons reading directly out of The world for idiots....Please continue, its breath takingly numb and transparent....
    LOL noob. You mad cuz bad. Git gud kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
    If doctors had a consensus, why would anyone seek out a second opinion?

Thread Information