Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: President Obama's presidency

  1. #1
    Banned Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,501

    President Obama's presidency

    I was quite open minded to begin with. But actually I'd say in 50 year time, nobody will remember him, because he did nothing!

    What are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Contributor DOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Mar 11
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,150

    The many accomplishments of Barack Hussein Obama II

    First, he brought eloquence, style, respect inspiration, character and class back to the White House. There were no scandals. This is not a small thing.

    Second, he dodged a second Great Depression. Yes, there were many others involved, but the topic is the Obama legacy, which covers everything. There was no second Great Depression despite strong GOPer efforts to undermine the economic recovery at every possible step along the way.

    As The Economist put it, “The bail-outs and stimulus implemented in his first, fraught months in office not only averted
    economic catastrophe, saving the banks (eventually at a profit) and the car industry: the slant towards tax credits and welfare spending
    arrested what might have been a gruesome rise in poverty.”

    Third, he paved the way for tens of millions of people to get real healthcare, for the first time in their lives. In the words of Joe Biden, “This is a <rather> big thing.”

    Fourth, he avoided the knee-jerk instinct to get involved in yet another Middle East war.

    Fifth, he recognized the rapidly rising importance of the Asia-Pacific region – all of it -- like no one since Richard Nixon, and Nixon only saw China (not Japan or ASEAN) as a counterweight to the USSR. The pivot and TPP are the best known examples.

    Sixth, his terms coincided with an increase in equity prices that is only matched by the collapse in unemployment and first claims.


    As an afterthought, there the killing of Osama bin Laden, restoring relations with Cuba, curtailing Ebola, a dramatic drop in the black-white high school drop-out rate, an end to official tolerance of torture and the Paris climate-change deal.

    Well done, Mr President.

  3. #3
    Rickshaw Professional Senior Contributor Pedicabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 Feb 07
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I was quite open minded to begin with. But actually I'd say in 50 year time, nobody will remember him, because he did nothing!

    What are your thoughts?

    I think that in 50 years time people will still be talking about The Donald.

  4. #4
    Senior Contributor Doktor's Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Aug 08
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    13,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedicabby View Post
    I think that in 50 years time people will still be talking about The Donald.
    If there are people left.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

    To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    14,006
    one of the reasons why conservatives hate Obama with such a passion is because he was so -consequential-. his policies, especially in his first administration, was a distinct contrast from Clintonian centrist small-ball. and executive orders aside, those policies will be fiendishly hard to change.

    you might disagree with his policies, but they're not "nothing".
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

  6. #6
    Banned Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    one of the reasons why conservatives hate Obama with such a passion is because he was so -consequential-. his policies, especially in his first administration, was a distinct contrast from Clintonian centrist small-ball. and executive orders aside, those policies will be fiendishly hard to change.

    you might disagree with his policies, but they're not "nothing".
    I'm not a Conservative, I just despise hypocrits.

  7. #7
    Banned Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedicabby View Post
    I think that in 50 years time people will still be talking about The Donald.
    We're about to find out...The Saudi financed democratic Party is certainly using its funds to discredit him..hard to know who is pulling whose strings these days.

  8. #8
    Senior Contributor Doktor's Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Aug 08
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    13,668
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    one of the reasons why conservatives hate Obama with such a passion is because he was so -consequential-. his policies, especially in his first administration, was a distinct contrast from Clintonian centrist small-ball. and executive orders aside, those policies will be fiendishly hard to change.

    you might disagree with his policies, but they're not "nothing".
    So, why is your democracy weaker now?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

    To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

  9. #9
    Banned Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by DOR View Post
    First, he brought eloquence, style, respect inspiration, character and class back to the White House. There were no scandals. This is not a small thing.

    Second, he dodged a second Great Depression. Yes, there were many others involved, but the topic is the Obama legacy, which covers everything. There was no second Great Depression despite strong GOPer efforts to undermine the economic recovery at every possible step along the way.
    As The Economist put it, “The bail-outs and stimulus implemented in his first, fraught months in office not only averted
    economic catastrophe, saving the banks (eventually at a profit) and the car industry: the slant towards tax credits and welfare spending
    arrested what might have been a gruesome rise in poverty.”

    Third, he paved the way for tens of millions of people to get real healthcare, for the first time in their lives. In the words of Joe Biden, “This is a <rather> big thing.”

    Fourth, he avoided the knee-jerk instinct to get involved in yet another Middle East war.

    Fifth, he recognized the rapidly rising importance of the Asia-Pacific region – all of it -- like no one since Richard Nixon, and Nixon only saw China (not Japan or ASEAN) as a counterweight to the USSR. The pivot and TPP are the best known examples.

    Sixth, his terms coincided with an increase in equity prices that is only matched by the collapse in unemployment and first claims.
    Fair enough


    As an afterthought, there the killing of Osama bin Laden .

    Well done, Mr President.
    I thought the killing of Osama was an opportunity missed. Should have been put on trial and humiliated.

    restoring relations with Cuba
    Long over due

    curtailing Ebola
    That was an international effort, hardly something Obama could claim his own

    a dramatic drop in the black-white high school drop-out rate
    Any figures on that?

    an end to official tolerance of torture
    Guantanamo is still holding untried prisoners, so much for the rule of law. Even Goering was given a trial.

    and the Paris climate-change deal
    Whoopy do!

  10. #10
    FreeGeneral Senior Contributor Big K's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Dec 06
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey, Turkey
    Posts
    2,511
    it is not needed to be an American to see that US WILL miss Obama dearly. an autocrat is an autocrat no matter his nationality.

    and

    enter ochlocracy...
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

  11. #11
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    09 Oct 10
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    one of the reasons why conservatives hate Obama with such a passion is because he was so -consequential-.
    Good one

  12. #12
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    09 Oct 10
    Posts
    1,107
    In the end, I think the admin may have called the syrian situation more or less right (although I always seem to be changing my mind on this one). Impossible to know if early action would have helped or not. But its even more unreasonable to expect america to solve every problem. Maybe if the alawites had been more vocal in opposing Assad early on. Difficult to know if another admin would have done it differently with the backdrop of lessons learnt from Afghanistan and Iraq so readily accessible.

  13. #13
    Senior Contributor Doktor's Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Aug 08
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    13,668
    The man goes out and his Presidency can and will be measured in the coming years, be it on opening of new jobs, average salary, roads, environment, peace efforts, debt, racial issues, education, healthcare, military withdrawal, foreign policy...

    I am curious how Trump is judged as mainly bad when he ain't even sat (to be frank on this one, I have some serious doubts what's he's gonna do that will turn good), he is also judged for wanting good relations with Russia, when Obama's administration was the one with the reset button...
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

    To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

  14. #14
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    14,006
    Doktor,

    So, why is your democracy weaker now?
    didn't say it was?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

  15. #15
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    14,006
    Doktor,

    I am curious how Trump is judged as mainly bad when he ain't even sat (to be frank on this one, I have some serious doubts what's he's gonna do that will turn good),
    at least from my POV, I'm not judging him for what his administration has done because as you say, he's not even President yet. I do judge him for his words/actions as President-Elect and as a Presidential nominee.

    he is also judged for wanting good relations with Russia, when Obama's administration was the one with the reset button...
    2016 Russia is not the same as 2008 Russia. the attempt to play Medvedev off Putin obviously failed but I think was still worth playing.

    in any case, the phrase "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..." comes to mind. if Obama suddenly said in 2016 that he wanted to try yet another reset, I'd be dead set against that as well, let alone someone as...compromised...as Trump is on the subject.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. President Obama, and perception.
    By AdityaMookerjee in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10 May 12,, 15:47
  2. Will US foes test an Obama presidency?
    By Ironduke in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 07 Nov 08,, 09:55
  3. Predictions: Who will win Presidency, McCain or Obama?
    By We The People in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 07 Sep 08,, 17:09

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •