Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clegg's Great Reform Act?

Remember this?

The deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg, is pressing ahead with his mission to roll back what he terms the "obsessive lawmaking" of the New Labour years. In today's speech to students at London's City and Islington College he said he wanted people to get involved in "our very own Great Reform Act":
    "As we tear through the statute book, we'll do something no government ever has: we will ask you which laws you think should go."
    Clegg spoke of the thousands of criminal offences created since 1997. But perhaps you would like to go back further. Some old laws now seem to exist mainly to amuse those combing through the statute book for curiosities such as the ban on the use of "any slide upon ice or snow in any street or other thoroughfare". But you may consider other long-standing pieces of legislation to have more serious and pernicious effects.
    Which laws would be top of your target list for repeal?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-laws-repealed

and what did he do guys??
    Last edited by Toby; 10 Jan 17,, 00:53.

Originally posted by Toby View Post
    Remember this?

[FONT="][FONT="]T[/FONT]he deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg, is pressing ahead with his mission to roll back what he terms the "obsessive lawmaking" of the New Labour years. In today's speech to students at London's City and Islington College he said he wanted people to get involved in "our very own Great Reform Act":[/FONT]
    "As we tear through the statute book, we'll do something no government ever has: we will ask you which laws you think should go."
    [FONT="]Clegg spoke of the thousands of criminal offences created since 1997. But perhaps you would like to go back further. Some old laws now seem to exist mainly to amuse those combing through the statute book for curiosities such as the ban on the use of "any slide upon ice or snow in any street or other thoroughfare". But you may consider other long-standing pieces of legislation to have more serious and pernicious effects.[/FONT]
    Which laws would be top of your target list for repeal?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-laws-repealed

and what did he do guys??
    Nothing.. he didn't win the election. He got a referendum on AV, but can't for the life of me remember anything else they got out of the coalition.

Comment

Originally posted by Markobee View Post
      Nothing.. he didn't win the election. He got a referendum on AV, but can't for the life of me remember anything else they got out of the coalition.
      They watered down alot of what the Tories wanted to achieve. But in terms of this FLAGSHIP idea of Mr CLegg.. well how do you put it....it just kind of withered away into (oh sh-t did we really come up with this idea, Crap lets ditch it quick) Nothingness. Kind of what Fallon needs to do.

Comment

They watered down alot of what the Tories wanted to achieve. But in terms of this FLAGSHIP idea of Mr CLegg.. well how do you put it....it just kind of withered away into (oh sh-t did we really come up with this idea, Crap lets ditch it quick) Nothingness. Kind of what Fallon needs to do.
        Why would Fallon change tack when the current strategy is working?

Click image for larger version

Name:	72e4b04e-6d89-457d-b5b5-53db5f015db3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1470187

Comment

This is exactly the kind of statistics that gives the science a bad name.
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            This is exactly the kind of statistics that gives the science a bad name.
            Why do you say that? Lib Dems have gained 25 seats and lost 1 since the 6th of May. What's inaccurate about that?

Comment

Originally posted by zara View Post
              Why do you say that? Lib Dems have gained 25 seats and lost 1 since the 6th of May. What's inaccurate about that?
              How many they won? How many the others won? Are they even back on where they've been before last election?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

How many they won? How many the others won? Are they even back on where they've been before last election?
                The graph shows all that:

Lib dems +24
                Conservatives -15
                Independant +4
                Labour -11
                Plaid Cmryu +3
                SNP -2
                UKIP -3

They are not back to where they were before the election, but we havent had local elections since 2015 and these are just byelections.
                They've had tens of thousands of new members since the referendum and are capturing a lot from both Labour and the Tories.

I posted it to show that Tim Farrons strategy of appealing to the centre ground is working for them.

Comment

The graph shows all that:

Lib dems +24
                  Conservatives -15
                  Independant +4
                  Labour -11
                  Plaid Cmryu +3
                  SNP -2
                  UKIP -3

They are not back to where they were before the election, but we havent had local elections since 2015 and these are just byelections.
                  They've had tens of thousands of new members since the referendum and are capturing a lot from both Labour and the Tories.

I posted it to show that Tim Farrons strategy of appealing to the centre ground is working for them.
                  No, the graph shows that they perform better than on the last elections, wants to show them being on the top, but doesn't show where they really stand.

If I were PC, I'd say we got gazillion% more seats, while the others range from -50% to +300%, so I'd be the best.
                  Last edited by Doktor; 11 Jan 17,, 15:35.

Comment

No, the graph shows that they perform better than on the last elections, wants to show them being on the top, but doesn't show where they really stand.

If I were PC, I'd say we got gazillion% more seats, while the others range from -50% to +300%, so I'd be the best.
                    I realy don't know what your saying here Doktor sorry..

It's not trying to convey that they would win an election, just that they are winning seats that's all
                    Last edited by zara; 11 Jan 17,, 15:57.

Comment

I realy don't know what your saying here Doktor sorry..

It's not trying to convey that they would win an election, just that they are winning seats that's all
                      But PC are moving at a faster pace.

Comment

Who ever drew that graph was smokin a reefer....a big one!

Comment

Why would Fallon change tack when the current strategy is working?
                          What strategy is that, making himself look like a Tw-t?
                          Hmmm... may be you have a point!

Comment

But PC are moving at a faster pace.
                            How do you work that out?

Comment

What strategy is that, making himself look like a Tw-t?
                              Hmmm... may be you have a point!
                              Doesnt matter what you think of him, you would never vote liberal. What matters is that the party is having a revival under his leadership.
                              Personally I think the party needs a more charasmatic leader to capitalise in a general election.

Comment

Working...
                              X