Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our dear chancellor a couple months or so ago announced raising the defence budget by 70% over the next few years, while our dear defence minister even before that drew up a wishlist of "things to buy" that'd pay for the entire Eurofighter program - for scale - about six to seven times. Or would buy us about 300 F-35 at current unit price with money to spare.
    Government has too much money on their hands, that's the real problem.
    Not to sound clever. But it's not before time. As you say though. Having the money and using it intelligently are two different things

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
      The Donald doesn't care about NATO, so now they might just have to take the whole enchilada. Getting a bit more than wished for and all that.
      The Donald can't afford to not care about NATO. He's given us all a kick in the pants....which was needed. Complacency is our biggest threat.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post

Meanwhile, Theresa May us setting course for hard Brexit:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politi...-to-eu-tuesday

So, I think this is the most significant development in Brexit since the vote itself. Before we speculate on the EU reaction or "united front" going forward, we should keep in mind that the PM made her decision with the benefit of having full access to the information and intelligence provided by Britain's diplomatic corps, business community, and the intelligence community, including the GCHQ.
        Last edited by citanon; 15 Jan 17,, 13:20.

Comment

I'm sure they can find other ways to hurt other EU members too if push comes to shove.

The general message from the incoming administration is as strong a commitment to NATO as ever.

Great, so we are looking at a possible Tax and Tarriff war in Europe as well as the US engageing in a Trade war with China. That's going to be great for the world economy.

Donald was right when he said 'There will be no cakes for anyone, just salt and vinegar'

Comment

So, I think this is the most significant development in Brexit since the vote itself. Before we speculate on the EU reaction or "united front" going forward, we should keep in mind that the PM made her decision with the benefit of having full access to the information and intelligence provided by Britain's diplomatic corps, business community, and the intelligence community, including the GCHQ.

I don't think the talks are going to last very long. I imagine one of the first things on the agenda will be the divorce bill. The Brexit press will go crazy if the PM agrees to paying a penny torwards this, so I predict the UK walking out of the talks after a few months leading to hard and disorderly Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by zara View Post
              Great, so we are looking at a possible Tax and Tarriff war in Europe as well as the US engageing in a Trade war with China. That's going to be great for the world economy.

Donald was right when he said 'There will be no cakes for anyone, just salt and vinegar'
              With Marie Le Pen and other right wingers gaining power on the continent, a trade war with Britain would be temporarily hard for Britain but permanently fatal for the EU: French and other European voters would not understand if their jobs were lost to salve the egos of German and Brussels politicians.

With this shock of the hard Brexit the EU is going through the stages of grief anew. Once they go through it, they will cave.

The trade war with China is harder to call. I would hope cooler heads would prevail but we now have nationalistic populists leading both governments. We don't talk much about xi jinping here in the West but I'm beginning to suspect that as a leader he actually has worse and more deeply rooted vices than Trump, and unlike Trump he is no longer bound by a strong moderating system of government.
              Last edited by citanon; 15 Jan 17,, 13:55.

Comment

With Marie Le Pen and other right wingers gaining power on the continent, a trade war with Britain would be temporarily hard for Britain but permanently fatal for the EU: French and other European voters would not understand if their jobs were lost to salve the egos of German and Brussels politicians.

With this shock of the hard Brexit the EU is going through the stages of grief anew. Once they go through it, they will cave.

The trade war with China is harder to call. I would hope cooler heads would prevail but we now have nationalistic populists leading both governments. We don't talk much about xi jinping here in the West but I'm beginning to suspect that as a leader he actually has worse and more deeply rooted vices than Trump, and unlike Trump he is no longer bound by a strong moderating system of government.
                America has given too much away (EUROPE too) and got back very little back in return. How the Chinese have been allowed to copy everything under the sun(most of it badly )and allowed to export it to us is verging on criminal. All its done is lower the cost and the quality of manufactured goods....nothing is built to last. It's junk and the Chinese have been allowed to do it..
                If you think about it we're regressing in terms of quality.

Comment

It would be an unwise strategic move to move against China pushing them onto Muscovy when the Chinks by and large are on an open offencive and are cooperating in WTO rules (by and large). The real threat to Muscovy is of course not Ukraine, Georgia, the Baltics or (the recent) Belarusian visa liberalisation but the east. China is their problem much more than Europes.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
                    America has given too much away (EUROPE too) and got back very little back in return. How the Chinese have been allowed to copy everything under the sun(most of it badly )and allowed to export it to us is verging on criminal. All its done is lower the cost and the quality of manufactured goods....nothing is built to last. It's junk and the Chinese have been allowed to do it..
                    If you think about it we're regressing in terms of quality.
                    You've written this on your comp made in China, or mobile device. Wanna build it at home? No problem, quadruple the price.
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                      You've written this on your comp made in China, or mobile device. Wanna build it at home? No problem, quadruple the price.
                      I build my own PC'S. ...but anyhow it wouldn't matter as inflation would make sure we all were being paid 4 x as much. It'd be better quality as well so it would last 10x as long. If you've never built or repaired electrical or electronic appliances...you won't have the foggiest idea what I was talking about.

Comment

• Im looking forward to Mays take on brexit on tuesday , the gossip is saying shes going for hard exit .

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
                          Im looking forward to Mays take on brexit on tuesday , the gossip is saying shes going for hard exit .
                          Quite!
                          As Citanon said she has a lot of info from various sources. Hopefully to make the right moves. We're leaving the EU not Europe and not NATO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
                            I build my own PC'S. ...but anyhow it wouldn't matter as inflation would make sure we all were being paid 4 x as much. It'd be better quality as well so it would last 10x as long. If you've never built or repaired electrical or electronic appliances...you won't have the foggiest idea what I was talking about.
                            Yay, you also built your RAM, Motherboard, Screen..?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
                              Im looking forward to Mays take on brexit on tuesday , the gossip is saying shes going for hard exit .
                              Hard Brexit, explained by South Park.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                                Yay, you also built your RAM, Motherboard, Screen..?
                                Didn't say that.......But you clearly are very happy that people who would be assembling, manufacturing in the West are now stocking shelves at Walmart. Whoopi do progress...Not!!
                                Last edited by Toby; 15 Jan 17,, 21:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X