X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
    JAD,

you may be surprised but I have similar views, although of course I would go about it differently. one of the elements of Third Way-ism that I still hold onto is the need to address the non-mandatory budget, which has been cut badly because dealing with the mandatory one is so politically fraught.

healthcare costs -must- be controlled, and that will provide some leeway.

ASTY:

Not too surprised.

Short of raising taxes, increasing deficit spending, or cutting entitlements $ for $, I don't see any way to jack up discretionary spending, unless revenue yields increase, and that depends on GDP growth. A possible ray of sunshine will be to get off the continuing resolution treadmill and pass a real budget, which may finally happen this year.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Must he?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/04/o...n-a-judge.html
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Yes. Justice is the shield of liberty and the independence of the judiciary the arm that holds the shield.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
          Yes. Justice is the shield of liberty and the independence of the judiciary the arm that holds the shield.
          That's reliant on the Judiciary being apolitical. Given the American ones are political appointees that is extremely unlikely. It's the American system but it doesn't lead to good law. The only thing Trump has done is break the pretence, and there's even precedent for that.
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Well, NYT said so.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• The head of one branch of govt. doing a very public and personal condemnation of the member of another branch. Why should be not?
              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Look, we all knew Trump was going to be a different President if and when he got elected; we all knew going into this that he was going to be unconventional, to put it mildly. But to publicly attack another member of a major Branch of the US Gov't is not Presidential at all, that's simply being petty and spiteful.

President Trump made a big point of touting his "patriotism" by denigrating foreigners, condemning US companies that "shipped jobs abroad", denouncing Obama's supposed "appeasement philosophy" toward other countries, etc., but then he turns around and does a very unpatriotic thing by attacking his own American government, the one he's been elected to work with. Sometimes, I don't believe he thinks things all the way through; he's like the kid who just says the first thing that pops into his head, and then realizes it's too late. I feel sorry for Mike Pence, he's the one who has to go around and clean up Trump's messes.
                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• pretty sure the only person outside his own family whom Trump -hasn't- attacked yet is Vladimir Putin.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I am sensing a trend; "any negative polls are fake news".

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                      Look, we all knew Trump was going to be a different President if and when he got elected; we all knew going into this that he was going to be unconventional, to put it mildly. But to publicly attack another member of a major Branch of the US Gov't is not Presidential at all, that's simply being petty and spiteful.

President Trump made a big point of touting his "patriotism" by denigrating foreigners, condemning US companies that "shipped jobs abroad", denouncing Obama's supposed "appeasement philosophy" toward other countries, etc., but then he turns around and does a very unpatriotic thing by attacking his own American government, the one he's been elected to work with. Sometimes, I don't believe he thinks things all the way through; he's like the kid who just says the first thing that pops into his head, and then realizes it's too late. I feel sorry for Mike Pence, he's the one who has to go around and clean up Trump's messes.
                      What says all that is not intentional. Remember Bannon is maybe his closest advisor. Bannon is the one who once said he is a Leninist in that he wants to destroy all of today's establishment. That includes not only Democrats and the media but also the Republican Party. This is a guy who has a fascination with war and sees everything through that prism. He has already predicted two coming real wars. He wants America to be strong and feared, borders every where, and women well they should only be seen.

With Trump he has what he wants. Trump can now destroy to his heart's content. Clearly Trump is little concerned about the dignity of the office given his typical behavior we have come to know. I think all he does is intentional and dangerous. When was the last time an American President had a boogeyman to blame everything on, to pit one group of Americans against them, and almost say we could be better off without them. I'm talking fellow Americans. No, this is calculated and only a few will win. There was a movie where a Senator said you are either on the inside Gunny, or you are on the outside. Many who think they are in will find out they are out.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder...qqZ#.xe07aExx7
                      Last edited by tbm3fan; 06 Feb 17,, 21:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                        pretty sure the only person outside his own family whom Trump -hasn't- attacked yet is Vladimir Putin.
                        It would be interesting to see how long the bromance lasts, now that they seem to be clashing over Iran
                        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
                          It would be interesting to see how long the bromance lasts, now that they seem to be clashing over Iran
                          You don't have bromances between sociopaths. The bro who believes that usually end up dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
                            You don't have bromances between sociopaths. The bro who believes that usually end up dead.
                            Well, Opengroppenführer Trump better wise up quickly then.

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
                              Well, Opengroppenführer Trump better wise up quickly then.
                              Trump is or sociopath too, or did you think I was just talking about Putin?

Those two are doing a careful dance. Obama was using tough sounding rhetoric to cover up his weak actions vs. Russia. The Russians saw right through it and ignored it. Trump is using soothing words to conceal and smooth over aggressive actions. The Russians see that and feel respect.

Comment

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
                                Trump is or sociopath too, or did you think I was just talking about Putin?

Those two are doing a careful dance. Obama was using tough sounding rhetoric to cover up his weak actions vs. Russia. The Russians saw right through it and ignored it. Trump is using soothing words to conceal and smooth over aggressive actions. The Russians see that and feel respect.
                                What aggressive actions? Herr Opengroppenführer has softened sanctions against the FSB

Comment

Working...
                                X