X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
    Maybe you should have made that clearer
    You may not have been talking about partisan politics, but the conversation that Asty and Citanon were having (when you jumped in) was about that. I do not care about partisanship in WAB, I care about partisanship in US politics, because it is something more important than an internet forum.
    It was quite clear in my response and comments when you jumped in.

Either way, it is what is... or past tense.... was.

And I agree.

I was watching FOX and CNN the other night, flipping back and forth.

Same topic of discussion from both, and the narratives being pushed couldn't have been more polar oppisite.

It's like the world is on fire and one side tells you it's a blizzard of snow and the other says it's a monsoon.

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
      LoL.

I agree about the Senate and teenage girls.

But the Garland thing, while infuriating to the Dems, was politics because Congress was well within it's rights to do what it did.

I understand Dems fillibusting is well within their rights to do so as well but it was going to happen anyway if the Republican carry out their threat.

They might as well make a deal..unless the "optics" of the deal makes them look bad to the really left wing of the party.
      What part of the Senate refusing its Constitutional obligation to consider -- advise and consent, fair hearing, hell: any hearing -- the President's Supreme Court nominee don't you understand?

Neil Gorsuch isn't about Neil Gorsuch.
      It's about Merrick Garland.
      It's about the GOPers crossing the line.

When Chuck Grassley, Orrin Hatch, Mike Lee, Jeff Sessions, Lindsey Graham, John Cornyn, Ted Cruz, Jeff Flake, David Vitter, David Perdue, and Thom Tillis – the Senate Judiciary Committee GOPers – refused to do their duty and instead decided to play politics with the highest court in the land, the gloves came off.

No quarter.
      Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
        What part of the Senate refusing its Constitutional obligation to consider -- advise and consent, fair hearing, hell: any hearing -- the President's Supreme Court nominee don't you understand?

When Chuck Grassley, Orrin Hatch, Mike Lee, Jeff Sessions, Lindsey Graham, John Cornyn, Ted Cruz, Jeff Flake, David Vitter, David Perdue, and Thom Tillis – the Senate Judiciary Committee GOPers – refused to do their duty and instead decided to play politics with the highest court in the land, the gloves came off.

No quarter.
        It is still a losing battle though. A part of me says that Dems should reserve their firepower for bigger battles. That part of me also says that the "no quarter" people can go pound sand. the best way to make Trump fail is to work with him, not against him.
        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          I will disagree again based on my knowledge from the Bay Area and not the Rust Belt. I see a great many people who work in tech from all ages. From programmers to CFO's. Back office to front office. From Intel, to Apple, to Oracle, to Salesforce, Google and a host of the tons of smaller firms in the region. One thing I can tell you is that age discrimination is rampant out here and it has nothing to do with skills. Has everything to do with wages and the devaluation of years of experience. In my field new grads may have some extra skills because of changes in the laws between my graduation and theirs. Yet that is all as my 36 years experience easily puts them to shame as I can say seen that, done that, been there while they are still testing the waters. Holds true for other fields.
          Who does the most cutting edge, innovative work in Tech? The MSFT, GOOG, AAPL, AMZNs of the world. I will readily admit that that world truly knows no color, caste or creed (though it does know gender)

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          Now all of them were replaced with younger people and skills doesn't always figure into it. Take finance for example rather than building a web site. So the prime reason was wages. I have also had H1B visa holders in now and then who hail from India. Intel will say they can't find qualified people. I say Intel can't find people who will work more hours for less. Get these H1B visa holders behind closed doors and one quickly learns they are comparable to low paid baseball players back in the years where the reserve clause chained them to one team.

Others have had their jobs sent overseas like one on Monday whose job went to the Philippines. Chevron moved purchasing over there to essentially get wages of $10-15 a day. Now when she related the story to me I shook my head as I knew Chevron had no idea what they were getting themselves into. Workers, over there, are very good at following a strictly prescribed way of doing their job. Repetitive work yes but original work no. Anything that requires them to think fast, think out of the box, or to improvise brings everything to a halt. Next comes a phone call to the US asking for instructions. It was related that that is exactly what happens every day now. I was also told they, as they needed to train these people themselves, found one who was quite good. My question was how long did he last because if he shows up his co-workers they will make his life hell at work. Yep, he moved on four months later.
          About the H1Bs, what does that tell you? It tells me that if I all I need to do is drive from my house to work, I am better off with a cheap Corolla rather than an expensive Merc. What else? If I can telecommute or carpool )automation), then I do not need that car. Look at the shares of the Indian IT companies, they have been in freefall recently as more and more automation kicks in.

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          So don't tell me that they didn't update their skills. Where needed I know they did but many other areas do not need skill upgrades. What they really needed to do was not to go past their 55th birthday pure and simple.
          It indeed is. There are many tech jobs that cannot/ will not be outsourced. People can skill up, so far I have not seen a lot of inclination to do so. How many past 45 are taking agile/ big data courses?
          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

It is still a losing battle though. A part of me says that Dems should reserve their firepower for bigger battles. That part of me also says that the "no quarter" people can go pound sand. the best way to make Trump fail is to work with him, not against him.
            It doesn't get much bigger than the swing seat on the Supreme Court.

Just like there's no point in saving for a rainy day during a No. 10 typhoon, there is no point pretending its business as usual with the GOPers.
            Trust me?
            I'm an economist!

Comment

No quarter.
              You know what....

Read the friggin constitution before acting like you know what you're talking about.

One of the ways a senate don't have to consent is by not holding a hearing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0f47ee447ee6

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ominee/482733/

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...-supreme-court

Oh and by the way, the Democrats CAN'T DO SHIT to stop it.

Your "gloves are off" and "scorched earth" bullshit is just that.....bullshit.

At least the Republicans had control of something before lighting fires....the Dems can't even start an ember.
              Last edited by YellowFever; 06 Apr 17,, 08:38.

Comment

• Trump needs to grow a pair and can Kushner, Bannon and Ivanka.

Those three will cause many headaches for him in the near future, especially the Liberal Kushner and Conservative Bannon.

Comment

Trump needs to grow a pair and can Kushner, Bannon and Ivanka.

Those three will cause many headaches for him in the near future, especially the Liberal Kushner and Conservative Bannon.
                  Nah, they're all doing fine. I had my doubts about Bannon but he's burrowing deep into the bureaucracy. Remember, it's not just the democrats but at least half of the Republican party that are at war with him, and they will not stop. McCain will be back in a few months with another 'dossier' or some such, Ryan will be trying to slip through globalist policies every chance he gets and the Dems will still be screaming about 'normalisation'. Precisely none of your elected representatives want to work with Trump, so he has to work outside the Washington system and he needs as big a team as possible. Conway needs to go though.
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                    Nah, they're all doing fine. I had my doubts about Bannon but he's burrowing deep into the bureaucracy. Remember, it's not just the democrats but at least half of the Republican party that are at war with him, and they will not stop. McCain will be back in a few months with another 'dossier' or some such, Ryan will be trying to slip through globalist policies every chance he gets and the Dems will still be screaming about 'normalisation'. Precisely none of your elected representatives want to work with Trump, so he has to work outside the Washington system and he needs as big a team as possible. Conway needs to go though.
                    Rumors that Bannon is pissed because Kushner is trying to push him out.

We'll see....

Just breaking that Nunes is stepping down.

And Trey Gowdy is taking over the investigation. LOL

#Fried Rice.

Comment

So your impression of millennials is based on this one nutcase??? I am not a millennial, but I find them far more productive than the boomer generation. Of course, my generation (gen x, I guess,) are the real troopers
                      Ha, I AM a Millennial, so I have a lot of experience with them. They also have a loud microphone on social media these days.

I don't mind Millennials in the workplace. They generally do a good job and are willing to work. They have a focus on making work enjoyable, respecting boundaries, and growing. A lot of people complain that we're all entitled, needy, and disloyal, but I think those complaints are mostly overblown. I've never encountered an entitled Millennial whining about a promotion he/she thought she deserved. They usually just jump ship for a pay increase or title bump with a pure "business is business" attitude. Most managers seem to think everyone should "pay their dues" with standard 2% pay bumps for endless years with no clear promotion standards.
                      I mean, that just doesn't fly anymore. If the market gives someone a 10% pay bump and a new job, the market has spoken. Don't whine because your employees jumped ship for a better deal and don't beg the government for money because your company refuses to pay people what they are worth.

I don't have a high opinion of Boomers in the work-place, but that's probably selection bias. I work in a low-prestige, low-level department, so any Boomers still here are the kind who just couldn't advance anywhere in their entire career. They are the clock-in, clock-out "I don't want to learn" types. So, yeah, THOSE workers are not the best.

My other impression is that Boomers spend way too much money and have nothing saved for retirement. They are the first generation to get shifted from Defined Benefit to Defined Contribution pensions, and a lot of them were caught with their pants down.

The Gen Xers I have worked with strike me as very cynical and selfish, at least in certain environments. They are, however, pragmatic, and can adapt to market realities. That's pretty positive.
                      "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

You know what....

Read the friggin constitution before acting like you know what you're talking about.

One of the ways a senate don't have to consent is by not holding a hearing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0f47ee447ee6

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ominee/482733/

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...-supreme-court

Oh and by the way, the Democrats CAN'T DO SHIT to stop it.

Your "gloves are off" and "scorched earth" bullshit is just that.....bullshit.

At least the Republicans had control of something before lighting fires....the Dems can't even start an ember.
                        I didn't see a link to The Constitution, so I'll just reproduce it for you:

Section 2

1: The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

2: He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

3: The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.
                        "shall appoint."
                        Not "may appoint."
                        Not "if the Senate feels like holding hearings."
                        Shall.
                        Now, about that part where is says "One of the ways a senate don't have to consent is by not holding a hearing."
                        I can't seem to find it, can you?
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

• You're using an outdated Constitution. You have to subject it to 200 years of evolution to get the correct version.
                          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

I didn't see a link to The Constitution, so I'll just reproduce it for you:

"shall appoint."
                            Not "may appoint."
                            Not "if the Senate feels like holding hearings."
                            Shall.
                            Now, about that part where is says "One of the ways a senate don't have to consent is by not holding a hearing."
                            I can't seem to find it, can you?
                            Holy Reading comprehension problems, Batman.

If you just read what I linked.....

The "shall" you're so keen to point out applies to the PRESIDENT and not to the Senate.

“Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members, and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each House may provide.”

Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member.”

“Each House shall keep a Journal of its Proceedings, and from time to time publish the same, excepting such Parts as may in their Judgment require Secrecy; and the Yeas and Nays of the Members of either House on any question shall, at the Desire of one fifth of those Present, be entered on the Journal.”

“Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days, nor to any other Place than that in which the two Houses shall be sitting.”
                            That bolded part pretty much give the senate the power to determine what it considers "consent"
                            Last edited by YellowFever; 06 Apr 17,, 19:27.

Comment

Rumors that Bannon is pissed because Kushner is trying to push him out.

We'll see....

And Trey Gowdy is taking over the investigation. LOL

#Fried Rice.
                              Hah, really? That's fabulous :)
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

And Bannon gone from the NSC.

Comment

Working...
                                X