Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 90919293949596979899
Results 1,471 to 1,476 of 1476

Thread: 2017 American Political Scene

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    lol, again, malevolence tempered by incompetence.

really, does anyone think that Dems would trade one-time ACA subsidies for funding for a border wall?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    GVChamp,

not sure that I follow that "BLM is killing Third Way"-- as you say, BLM is a race-relations movement and the Third Way has always primarily been about economics. moreover, BLM started in 2013, which was well into recovery phase of the Great Recession...and long after the Third Way disappeared as an independent political force, which pretty much died with Al Gore and the immediately following internal Democratic turmoil of the Iraq War.

-has already- gone that way, again, as an independent force. however, its imprint will long remain given party makeup, funding sources, and beliefs-- even with the prominence of Sanders. i'm sure you saw the squabble between Tom Perez and Sanders as part of the so-called "unity" tour.

contrast the US Democratic Party with Labour in the UK, for instance-- the latter having done a more complete job in taking over the levers of power from the Blairite Third Wayers and remaking the party into the Old Labour image.
    I don't think you can describe a post-War political movement without describing its relation to race (or its absence in talking about it). Third Way Democrats are also Democrats that aren't making race relations a front-and-center issue in US affairs, which is my point. Bill Clinton "First Black President" also passed welfare reform. That kind of Democrat is also a dying breed.
    My point is that Democrats becoming more race conscious doesn't have anything to do with the recession, it's the result of BLM. The movement itself drives helps define opinions in the base. I'd say the same happens with the Sanders-types.

And, yeah, I'd agree with you on the state of Third-Way, both in the US and the UK. They no longer control all the levers of power in the US and are pretty heavily routed in the UK.
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

The Fiscal Fiasco

Here's what we know about The Trumpet's huuuugggeee tax reform plans.

• Take the current 7 tax brackets and reduce them to only three brackets: 10%, 25%, and 35%.
    • Double the standard deduction so that a married couple won’t pay any taxes on the first $24,000 of income they earn.
    • Tax relief for child and dependent care expenses.
    • Repeal the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT).
    • Return the top tax rate on capital gains and dividends to 20% by repealing the 3.8% Obamacare tax.
    • Repeal the death tax. The estate tax applies only to estates valued at more than $5.49 million for singles or $10.98 million for married couples.
    • Repeal a 3.8% net investment income tax that applies to individuals with incomes above $200,000 a year.
    • Eliminate most of the tax breaks that mainly benefit high-income individuals. Home ownership, charitable giving, and retirement savings will be protected – but other tax benefits will be eliminated.
    • Scrap the federal-income tax deduction that individuals can claim for the state and local taxes.

What’s not in this “plan:”

Details. Tax experts who would normally jump to analyze the plan were foiled by the scant specifics. “Sorry, friends. We cannot model this. Definitely not enough detail,” said Kyle Pomerleau, director of federal projects for the Tax Foundation. Len Burman, a fellow at the Urban Institute, was more pointed: “First draft of Reagan tax reform: three-volume 500+ page treatise. First draft of Trump: bullet points.”

Fiscal implications. The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget released a rough analysis saying the plan could cost $3 trillion to $7 trillion over the next decade. The non-partisan research group determined that Trump’s corporate tax cut would cost $2.2 trillion, while his other cuts for other businesses would amount to $1.5 trillion. Doubling the standard deduction, which would help lower- and middle-class taxpayers, would cost roughly $1.5 trillion, the CRFB said, while repealing the estate tax, which would benefit wealthy families, would cost $200 billion.

GOPer support.Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn was cautious in his remarks. “I like low tax rates, but I don’t know how we pay for it,” he said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...h-scant-detail

Senior Contributor
    Has anyone calculated yet whether Trump's own tax rate would be above 0% with his plans?

Quote Originally Posted by kato View Post
    Has anyone calculated yet whether Trump's own tax rate would be above 0% with his plans?
    One has to see his records first.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
    One has to see his records first.
    Doh!

Thread Information