This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astralis View Post
    i honestly have no clue what you're trying to get at.
    thats obama is completely cluessless and worthless when it comes to foreign affairs.

"Obama has stated that Russia will pay a proportional price... blah blah blah" so what? he also stated that assad cant cross the red line, that isis just jv team. see what he accomplished so far? even if he had 8 years, he wouldnt be able to do make russia pay any price.

Comment

Not sure it is fair to compare 'Dubya's' and Obama's Muscovite policy; Bush did after all have other very legitimate fish to fry after 9/11.

Comment

Originally posted by drhuy View Post
        wait, so obama didnt say anything about "red line" in syria or isis "jv team"? all fake news?
        It astonishes me how many people who are capable of remembering "red line" can't seem to remember Putin saying he would take care of Syria, and that the US didn't have to put boots on the ground ... to the vast relief of the US military, and civilian leadership and the US people.

Syria is Putin's problem; he asked Obama to let him take care of it.
        Trust me?
        I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
          It astonishes me how many people who are capable of remembering "red line" can't seem to remember Putin saying he would take care of Syria, and that the US didn't have to put boots on the ground ... to the vast relief of the US military, and civilian leadership and the US people.

Syria is Putin's problem; he asked Obama to let him take care of it.
          A. Putin didn't "ask", he bluffed Obama out of his 'red line' and B. This is precisely the problem that critics of Obama's foreign policy (or lack of it) complain about; he didn't 'get it' - nor by the way did Hilary and all the "reset" rubbish. To be fair though they did learn from their mistakes which I think is more than the next idiot will do. Frankly I want to know about his business 'empire'; who does he owe money to? If he owes money to Moscow is he not compromised?

Comment

The last series of Presidents entered office almost entirely clueless about what they were doing. Trump is an exceptional case, but the only President in my lifetime who took office actually prepared was Bush I.

If Trump were an absolute idiot, he wouldn't have a "business empire." He'd be one of the wonderful homeless people I see on the street every day (though I have my doubts as to how "homeless" some of them are).

Obama's foreign policy fuck-ups are fuck-ups that Clinton would've made too, but the 90s had easier geopolitical circumstances. The only real new form of exceptional idiocy was Obama's Israel stance, which I am convinced encouraged Abbas to act like a total asshole and entirely squander an easy peace deal given that Hamas was totally out of the picture and Abbas barely hanging on.

Overall, Obama reminds me of one of those coastal liberal idiots that think they know what Americans want, despite not knowing anyone who owns a pickup truck.

Also just finished the report on Russia's influence in the election, which comes out to a big ball of nothing. Outside the Gang of Eight no one has a damned idea what the attribution methods are. Except for the publicly released report on Dec 29, which has the following description:
            The Daily Beast recounted that the report "was widely criticized by cybersecurity experts for being little more than a hodge-podge of random Internet Protocol addresses and code names for hacker gangs suspected of having ties to Moscow."[101]
            It defies belief that Russia released Podesta emails in October and November 2016 to help Trump win, given that the prior batch of emails did nothing to affect the election at all, and given that no one thought Trump had ANY chance of winning at that time, INCLUDING Trump.
            There's a more convincing argument that the emails released prior to the DNC were intended to influence the election, as it looked like Trump had a real shot at the time.
            Last edited by GVChamp; 07 Jan 17,, 13:05.
            "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
              Okay, your honor. So, Mr. Assange, can you say that the person or persons who gave you the stolen files did not get them from a Russian source?

Or, did the person or persons who gave you the files say where they got them?
              I missed this.

Why don't you make a totally parallel non-partisan special prosecutor office to examine that? You know, something your administration highly supports and encourages elsewehere.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

drhuy,

thats obama is completely cluessless and worthless when it comes to foreign affairs.

"Obama has stated that Russia will pay a proportional price... blah blah blah" so what? he also stated that assad cant cross the red line, that isis just jv team. see what he accomplished so far? even if he had 8 years, he wouldnt be able to do make russia pay any price.
                thank you for that insightful commentary that has little to do with the argument that i made.

point is that Russia has always done aggressive stupid stuff no matter whom is President. the way they do it has changed with the times, that is all.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

GVChamp,

Also just finished the report on Russia's influence in the election, which comes out to a big ball of nothing.
                  it's standard Russian info-ops.

it wouldn't have been such a big deal had the President-Elect not screamed like a narcissistic man-child and pissed on everyone except the Russians, to include fellow Republicans and the intelligence community, in his various responses.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...H8huwm_UBAVAzw

Comment

So yeah, about the only revelation I read is that our intelligence agencies knows a hell of a lot more about RT America than they know about the hacking as one third of the report is about them?

Secondly, I learned that RT America, not to mention Al Jazeera and BBC are all kicking the ass of CNN on You Tube.

But it's OK because CNN is kicking their asses on Twitter.

Thirdly, the report tries very hard to convince us that RT is nothing but a propoganda vessel of Russia.

Woop-dee-do...tell us something we don't know please.

I don't know how that relates to hacking the election but it just goes to show you that their propoganda networks are much more viewed than the DNC propoganda network.
                      Last edited by YellowFever; 07 Jan 17,, 17:42.

Comment

So did anyone of you NOT know that the Russians, Chinese, Norks, and every other hostile nation (and some friendly ones) were attempting to hack us to gain information and influence over us for the last decade or so?

Speak now please as I would really like to know who you are.

Comment

YF,

there is a difference between hacking to gain information and hacking to actively influence an election...

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...y.htmlPolitics

Ethics office warns that Trump, GOP rushing Cabinet confirmations

By Ed O'Keefe January 7 at 12:05 PM

A federal watchdog agency responsible for reviewing the backgrounds of White House Cabinet nominees has warned that his office has been overwhelmed by the task of vetting Donald J. Trump’s selections.

In a letter to Democratic senators dated Saturday, the head of the Office of Government Ethics also warned that Republicans are trying to take the unprecedented step of holding hearings for Cabinet picks before they’ve completed requisite paperwork to ensure there are no ethical, financial or criminal concerns.

Walter M. Shaub Jr., the ethics director, said it is “of great concern to me” that several of Trump’s nominees have not completed an ethics review before hearings are scheduled to begin next week.

Plans for at least seven Trump nominees to sit for hearings on Capitol Hill in the coming days “has created undue pressure on OGE’s staff and agency ethics officials to rush through these important reviews,” Shaub wrote. “More significantly, it has left some of the nominees with potentially unknown or unresolved ethics issues shortly before their scheduled hearings.”

Shaub added: “I am not aware of any occasion in the four decades since OGE was established when the Senate held a confirmation hearing before the nominee had completed the ethics review process.”

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), Trump’s choice to be the next attorney general, and Rex Tillerson, the former ExxonMobil CEO, whom Trump nominated to serve as secretary of state, are scheduled for confirmation hearings in the coming week. So is Betsy DeVos, a billionaire GOP power broker nominated to serve as education secretary.

The letter could undermine GOP hopes of swiftly holding hearings next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday — around the same time that Trump is also expected to outline ways he will separate himself from his vast business holdings while serving as president.

The letter adds fuel to Democratic concerns that the incoming administration as well as congressional Republicans are attempting to rush the confirmation of Trump’s top picks.

The ethics office’s concern “makes crystal-clear that the transition team’s collusion with Senate Republicans to jam through these Cabinet nominees before they’ve been thoroughly vetted is unprecedented,” Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said in response. “The Senate and the American people deserve to know that these Cabinet nominees have a plan to avoid any conflicts of interest, that they’re working on behalf of the American people and not their own bottom line, and that they plan to fully comply with the law. Senate Republicans should heed the advice of this independent office and stop trying to jam through unvetted nominees.”​

It wasn’t immediately clear what Senate Republicans might do. Aides to Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) didn’t immediately return requests for comment.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                              YF,

there is a difference between hacking to gain information and hacking to actively influence an election...
                              Tell Netanyahu that.

I guess releasing truthful emails is infinitely worse than using American taxpayer money to try to influence an ally's election.

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                                If Trump were an absolute idiot, he wouldn't have a "business empire." He'd be one of the wonderful homeless people I see on the street every day (though I have my doubts as to how "homeless" some of them are).
                                A. Trump was born into money. B. We do not know what his 'empire' consists of; it may be paper and deeply in debt.

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                                Also just finished the report on Russia's influence in the election, which comes out to a big ball of nothing. Outside the Gang of Eight no one has a damned idea what the attribution methods are.
                                Just suppose - hypothetically speaking - that someone had intercepted conversations among senior Muscovite 'officials' where they were discussing their strategy about how and when to spill the beans they had collected. Would it be wise to say so bearing in mind these 'officials' may give more?[/QUOTE]

I

Comment

Working...
                                X