Page 53 of 172 FirstFirst ... 44454647484950515253545556575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 795 of 2572

Thread: 2017 American Political Scene

  1. #781
    Global Moderator Defense Professional JAD_333's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Apr 07
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    11,214
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    JAD,



    you may be surprised but I have similar views, although of course I would go about it differently. one of the elements of Third Way-ism that I still hold onto is the need to address the non-mandatory budget, which has been cut badly because dealing with the mandatory one is so politically fraught.

    healthcare costs -must- be controlled, and that will provide some leeway.

    ASTY:

    Not too surprised.

    Short of raising taxes, increasing deficit spending, or cutting entitlements $ for $, I don't see any way to jack up discretionary spending, unless revenue yields increase, and that depends on GDP growth. A possible ray of sunshine will be to get off the continuing resolution treadmill and pass a real budget, which may finally happen this year.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

  2. #782
    Global Moderator Defense Professional JAD_333's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Apr 07
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    11,214
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

  3. #783
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 08
    Location
    UK/Europe
    Posts
    5,474
    Yes. Justice is the shield of liberty and the independence of the judiciary the arm that holds the shield.

  4. #784
    Dirty Kiwi Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    10 Nov 04
    Location
    Te Whanganui a-Tara, Te Ika a Maui, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,870
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Yes. Justice is the shield of liberty and the independence of the judiciary the arm that holds the shield.
    That's reliant on the Judiciary being apolitical. Given the American ones are political appointees that is extremely unlikely. It's the American system but it doesn't lead to good law. The only thing Trump has done is break the pretence, and there's even precedent for that.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

    Leibniz

  5. #785
    Senior Contributor Doktor's Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Aug 08
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    13,668
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD_333 View Post
    Well, NYT said so.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

    To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

  6. #786
    Senior Contributor antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Feb 08
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,163
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD_333 View Post
    The head of one branch of govt. doing a very public and personal condemnation of the member of another branch. Why should be not?
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

  7. #787
    Senior Contributor Stitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Nov 06
    Location
    Patterson, CA
    Posts
    3,080
    Look, we all knew Trump was going to be a different President if and when he got elected; we all knew going into this that he was going to be unconventional, to put it mildly. But to publicly attack another member of a major Branch of the US Gov't is not Presidential at all, that's simply being petty and spiteful.

    President Trump made a big point of touting his "patriotism" by denigrating foreigners, condemning US companies that "shipped jobs abroad", denouncing Obama's supposed "appeasement philosophy" toward other countries, etc., but then he turns around and does a very unpatriotic thing by attacking his own American government, the one he's been elected to work with. Sometimes, I don't believe he thinks things all the way through; he's like the kid who just says the first thing that pops into his head, and then realizes it's too late. I feel sorry for Mike Pence, he's the one who has to go around and clean up Trump's messes.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

  8. #788
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    14,006
    pretty sure the only person outside his own family whom Trump -hasn't- attacked yet is Vladimir Putin.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

  9. #789
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 08
    Location
    UK/Europe
    Posts
    5,474
    I am sensing a trend; "any negative polls are fake news".

  10. #790
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    Look, we all knew Trump was going to be a different President if and when he got elected; we all knew going into this that he was going to be unconventional, to put it mildly. But to publicly attack another member of a major Branch of the US Gov't is not Presidential at all, that's simply being petty and spiteful.

    President Trump made a big point of touting his "patriotism" by denigrating foreigners, condemning US companies that "shipped jobs abroad", denouncing Obama's supposed "appeasement philosophy" toward other countries, etc., but then he turns around and does a very unpatriotic thing by attacking his own American government, the one he's been elected to work with. Sometimes, I don't believe he thinks things all the way through; he's like the kid who just says the first thing that pops into his head, and then realizes it's too late. I feel sorry for Mike Pence, he's the one who has to go around and clean up Trump's messes.
    What says all that is not intentional. Remember Bannon is maybe his closest advisor. Bannon is the one who once said he is a Leninist in that he wants to destroy all of today's establishment. That includes not only Democrats and the media but also the Republican Party. This is a guy who has a fascination with war and sees everything through that prism. He has already predicted two coming real wars. He wants America to be strong and feared, borders every where, and women well they should only be seen.

    With Trump he has what he wants. Trump can now destroy to his heart's content. Clearly Trump is little concerned about the dignity of the office given his typical behavior we have come to know. I think all he does is intentional and dangerous. When was the last time an American President had a boogeyman to blame everything on, to pit one group of Americans against them, and almost say we could be better off without them. I'm talking fellow Americans. No, this is calculated and only a few will win. There was a movie where a Senator said you are either on the inside Gunny, or you are on the outside. Many who think they are in will find out they are out.

    https://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder...qqZ#.xe07aExx7
    Last edited by tbm3fan; 06 Feb 17, at 21:20.

  11. #791
    Senior Contributor antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Feb 08
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,163
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    pretty sure the only person outside his own family whom Trump -hasn't- attacked yet is Vladimir Putin.
    It would be interesting to see how long the bromance lasts, now that they seem to be clashing over Iran
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

  12. #792
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    13 Nov 07
    Posts
    3,848
    Quote Originally Posted by antimony View Post
    It would be interesting to see how long the bromance lasts, now that they seem to be clashing over Iran
    You don't have bromances between sociopaths. The bro who believes that usually end up dead.

  13. #793
    Senior Contributor antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Feb 08
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,163
    Quote Originally Posted by citanon View Post
    You don't have bromances between sociopaths. The bro who believes that usually end up dead.
    Well, Opengroppenführer Trump better wise up quickly then.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

  14. #794
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    13 Nov 07
    Posts
    3,848
    Quote Originally Posted by antimony View Post
    Well, Opengroppenführer Trump better wise up quickly then.
    Trump is or sociopath too, or did you think I was just talking about Putin?

    Those two are doing a careful dance. Obama was using tough sounding rhetoric to cover up his weak actions vs. Russia. The Russians saw right through it and ignored it. Trump is using soothing words to conceal and smooth over aggressive actions. The Russians see that and feel respect.

  15. #795
    Senior Contributor antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Feb 08
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,163
    Quote Originally Posted by citanon View Post
    Trump is or sociopath too, or did you think I was just talking about Putin?

    Those two are doing a careful dance. Obama was using tough sounding rhetoric to cover up his weak actions vs. Russia. The Russians saw right through it and ignored it. Trump is using soothing words to conceal and smooth over aggressive actions. The Russians see that and feel respect.
    What aggressive actions? Herr Opengroppenführer has softened sanctions against the FSB
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2017
    By tankie in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22 Mar 17,, 12:55
  2. 2017 and the End of Ethics
    By bigross86 in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 02 Jun 14,, 21:05
  3. Lotsa great American political news out there today...
    By Bluesman in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27 Aug 10,, 20:00
  4. American political duplication between Riyadh and Israel
    By ahmed in forum International Politics
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 29 Apr 07,, 22:06

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •