This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    John Kelly has been brought in as Chief of Staff to establish some discipline to the White House.

Trump can (and has) appointed as his advisers some of the finest people this country has to offer (Mattis and McMaster). But none of that changes this simple thing:

By any reasonable measure, Donald Trump is a narcissistic sociopath prone to spur-of-the-moment bizarre rants that verge on the insane, self-destructive decisions, outright lies and falsehoods, and an unabashed contempt for any sort of decorum worthy of the name (and that list is just getting warmed up), and no adviser will ever be able to change that.

In short, he's acting like the trust fund baby/sole proprietor of a family-owned and -run business that has no brakes on his behavior.

The conclusion is inevitable: Complete and utter political destruction of his Administration, whether due to Mueller's investigation or other revelations about his kleptocratic and thoroughly corrupt actions and organizations.
    One of the reasons I am absolutely loving the Trump Presidency is that as he is going down, he is taking the Republicans with him. Already the base has turned against the established Republicans in Congress. On the other hand anyone working with his administration will be tainted in a matter of months.

Even the widely respected General Mcmaster was thrown under the bus over the issue of intelligence sharing with Russians.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

John Kelly has been brought in as Chief of Staff to establish some discipline to the White House.

Trump can (and has) appointed as his advisers some of the finest people this country has to offer (Mattis and McMaster). But none of that changes this simple thing:

By any reasonable measure, Donald Trump is a narcissistic sociopath prone to spur-of-the-moment bizarre rants that verge on the insane, self-destructive decisions, outright lies and falsehoods, and an unabashed contempt for any sort of decorum worthy of the name (and that list is just getting warmed up), and no adviser will ever be able to change that.

In short, he's acting like the trust fund baby/sole proprietor of a family-owned and -run business that has no brakes on his behavior.

The conclusion is inevitable: Complete and utter political destruction of his Administration, whether due to Mueller's investigation or other revelations about his kleptocratic and thoroughly corrupt actions and organizations.
      Nicely summed up. Even when he appoints quality people he undermines them whenever it suits him. He has done that to McMaster & Mattis several times. Most recently his tweet on transgender soldiers. Whatever the merits or otherwise of the policy, it was painfully clear that he didn't consult his SecDef (or JCS for that matter). I can see Mattis & McMaster holding on longer than most out of a sense of duty, but if he won't respect them he won't respect anyone.

Trump is King of the angry man-babys, lashing out at anyone who dares to question their authority and using bluster to cover their deep insecurities. Those are unpleasant enough qualities in some bloke down the pub or online, they are outright scary in a President. Its impossible to craft decent policy in such an environment.

The firing of Priebus (and lets not kid ourselves about what happened there) and humiliation of Sessions seriously risk Trumps relations with the GOP. If the party publicly walks away from him this could get really messy, especially if he lashes out. Then there is the Mueller lottery. Trump's core supporters are hanging in for now and blaming everyone but Trump. Some of them always will, but its hard work staying that blind for 4 years.

The Dems are stocking up on popcorn & adhering to that dictum about not getting in the way when your enemy is making a mistake.

Trump has two things in his favor. One is time. He has plenty of it if he is capable of understanding there is a problem & getting to work on it. Not impossible, but not easy. The other is the Dems, who are still well capable of throwing away this opportunity. If they get over confident or start fighting among themselves they could throw him a lifeline.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
        So if you are in Moscow thinking who would be your preferred candidate? Make no mistake they compromised him already. Even accepting the meeting by small Trump was kompromat. You think he wanted that made public? This is how they work and if you do not understand it - it's very simple really - then in my view you are not willing to but there is far worse to come. I hope Mueller is "following the money" primarily.
        My denunciations of Donald Trump are not an endorsement of any other candidate or politician, nor a commentary on current events.

Originally posted by antimony View Post
        One of the reasons I am absolutely loving the Trump Presidency is that as he is going down, he is taking the Republicans with him. Already the base has turned against the established Republicans in Congress. On the other hand anyone working with his administration will be tainted in a matter of months.

Even the widely respected General Mcmaster was thrown under the bus over the issue of intelligence sharing with Russians.
        My best hope for people like Mattis and McMaster is that they'll be able to dissuade Trump from disastrous military adventurism (North Korea, primarily).
        In addition, Mattis appears to be making a wholehearted attempted to rein in the insanity of the DofD. Whether he succeeds or not is a question mark and is irrelevant to Donald Trump.

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
        Nicely summed up. I can see Mattis & McMaster holding on longer than most out of a sense of duty, but if he won't respect them he won't respect anyone.

Trump has two things in his favor. One is time. He has plenty of it if he is capable of understanding there is a problem & getting to work on it. Not impossible, but not easy. The other is the Dems, who are still well capable of throwing away this opportunity.
        Thank you.

He won't respect them, he can't respect them. He can't respect anyone but himself. He's also not capable of understanding that there's a problem, much less getting to work on it.

This is not a rational, mentally-stable person we're dealing with. He cannot do any of those things. It's simply impossible for him.

I know I sound angry but it's more of a cold assessment of the man based on prior personal experience.

I've worked for multiple people exactly like him in the past, for 7 years straight. Day after day, month after month, a few trusted coworkers and I would attempt to explain their actions or hope that "maybe this time they'll change." We were trying to rationalize irrationality, not unlike beating one's head against a brick wall.

Donald Trump is no different than my former employers, in fact he's far worse.

People who have never personally dealt with a sociopathic personality have a great deal of difficulty (almost an impossibility) understanding what they're dealing with. In this case, the American people.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• joe,

This is not a rational, mentally-stable person we're dealing with. He cannot do any of those things. It's simply impossible for him.
          i don't think Trump is literally crazy. past that, i completely agree with your statements.

he's "just" incredibly narcissistic/short-sighted and has no willingness whatsoever to put in the time or effort to even learn HIS positions...let alone that of the opposition.

Trump is a toxic leader. this is a politically-neutral statement, a statement of his abilities and not of his political views.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
            joe,

i don't think Trump is literally crazy. past that, i completely agree with your statements.

he's "just" incredibly narcissistic/short-sighted and has no willingness whatsoever to put in the time or effort to even learn HIS positions...let alone that of the opposition.

Trump is a toxic leader. this is a politically-neutral statement, a statement of his abilities and not of his political views.
            No, not "crazy", but almost certainly suffering from (or enjoying) sociopathy, more correctly known as Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD),

"a personality disorder characterized by a long term pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. An impoverished moral sense or conscience is often apparent, as well as a history of crime, legal problems, or impulsive and aggressive behavior"

More specifically Narcissistic personality disorder
            • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
            • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
            • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
            • Needing constant admiration from others
            • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
            • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
            • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
            • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
            • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

(Any of that remind you of someone?)
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

My best hope for people like Mattis and McMaster is that they'll be able to dissuade Trump from disastrous military adventurism (North Korea, primarily).
              In addition, Mattis appears to be making a wholehearted attempted to rein in the insanity of the DofD. Whether he succeeds or not is a question mark and is irrelevant to Donald Trump.
              Mattis yes, MCMaster no. McMaster has already shown that he can be played by Trump

Mattis, in contrast has till now maintained his dignity even during that bizarre "kiss-ass" cabinet meeting, when everyone was falling over themselves to smooch the Trump Rump.
              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                Then I am afraid AR is going to become an alcoholic as The Mooch is more the son The Donald never had than Donald Jr. is.
                I believe that sad fact may already be in the rear view mirror!
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Trump Removes Anthony Scaramucci From Communications Director Role

WASHINGTON — President Trump has decided to remove Anthony Scaramucci from his position as communications director, three people close to the decision said Monday, relieving him just days after Mr. Scaramucci unloaded a crude verbal tirade against other senior members of the president’s senior staff.

Mr. Scaramucci’s abrupt removal came just 10 days after the wealthy New York financier was brought on to the West Wing staff, a move that convulsed an already chaotic White House and led to the departures of Sean Spicer, the former press secretary, and Reince Priebus, the president’s first chief of staff.

The decision to remove Mr. Scaramucci, who had boasted about reporting directly to the president not the chief of staff, John F. Kelly, came at Mr. Kelly’s request, the people said. Mr. Kelly made clear to members of the White House staff at a meeting Monday morning that he is in charge.

It was not clear whether Mr. Scaramucci will remain employed at the White House in another position or will leave altogether. Link

Breaking news, still to be confirmed, however...

One thing I never doubted was Kelly's willingness to knock heads together.

Comment

• AR gets a bit of a reprieve to drinking himself blind it seems.

Rule #1: Don't get in the way of the star's close up nor steal their spotlight. Check!

Comment

Trump Removes Anthony Scaramucci From Communications Director Role
                      Too bad...I was enjoying the show. The handwriting was on the wall from day 1. His so called interview with the New Yorker guy iced it.
                      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

No, not "crazy", but almost certainly suffering from (or enjoying) sociopathy, more correctly known as Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD)...
                        It would seem he is not at all alone in that. See below.

http://www.google.com/search?q=emerg...al+psychopathy

One in five bosses is a psychopath, research reveals

Anna Patty
                        September 13, 2016
                        The Sydney Morning Herald

You are just as likely to come up against a psychopathic boss in your office as you are in the prison population.

New research has found psychopaths are as prevalent in the upper echelons of the corporate world as they are in prisons.

The research shows that one in five prisoners is considered psychopathic. The prevalence of people with the same tendencies in the executive ranks of the corporate business sector is the same, up to 21 per cent.

In the general community, the prevalence of people with psychopathic tendencies is one in 100.

Forensic psychologist Dr. Nathan Brooks and research colleagues Dr Katarina Fritzon of Bond University and Dr Simon Croom of the University of San Diego looked at the psychopathic traits of people working in the business sector. Their research will be presented at the Australian Psychological Society Congress in Melbourne this week.

The research found that 21 per cent of 261 corporate professionals studied in the supply chain management industry had clinically significant levels of psychopathic traits. This rate was comparable to the proportion found in jails.

Dr Brooks said recruiters should place a bigger priority on assessing the personality of job candidates over their skills and qualifications. He said many companies have their recruitment screening back-to-front.

"Too often companies look at skills first and then secondly consider personality features," he said. "It needs to be firstly about the candidate's character and then, if they pass the character test, consider whether they have the right skills."

The 2008 Global Financial Crisis has prompted researchers to focus on the so-called "successful psychopath" - high-flyers with psychopathic traits including insincerity, a lack of empathy or remorse, egocentric, charming and superficial.

Mr Brooks said the research has major implications for the business sector because the "successful psychopath" may also engage in unethical and illegal business practices and have a toxic impact on other employees.

"Typically psychopaths create a lot of chaos and generally tend to play people off against each other," he said.

The researchers have developed a tool to help businesses assess signs of psychopathic personality disorder during recruitment.

"We hope to implement our screening tool in businesses so that there's an adequate assessment to hopefully identify this problem - to stop people sneaking through into positions in the business that can become very costly," Mr Brooks says.
                        21 percent of CEOs are psychopaths. Only 21 percent?

By Gene Marks
                        September 16, 2016
                        The Washington Post

The data has confirmed all of our suspicions: one in five chief executives are psychopaths. At least, that’s what was found by a recent study of 261 senior corporate professionals in the United States.

What exactly is a psychopath? Webster’s Dictionary defines the condition as “a person who is mentally ill, who does not care about other people, and who is usually dangerous or violent and affected with antisocial personality disorder.” Yeah, that pretty much describes me on some days…and my entire client base most of the time!

“Typically psychopaths create a lot of chaos and generally tend to play people off against each other,” Nathan Brooks, a forensic psychologist and the lead researcher of the study said in this report from The Telegraph. “For psychopaths, it [corporate success] is a game and they don’t mind if they violate morals. It is about getting where they want in the company and having dominance over others.”

Brooks blames bad screening practices during the hiring process.

By the way – psychopathic behavior in the general population is about one in a 100. What’s a little disturbing in this study is that not only are 21 percent of corporate executives psychopathic, but so is the same percentage of prison inmates.

Also disturbing: this isn’t the first time researchers have noted psychopathic tendencies among senior executives. In research also reported by The Telegraph a few years ago, a psychologist warned of a growing number of “triadic persons” in the workplace who combine three types of dysfunctional personalities among white-collar workers: psychopath, Machiavellian, and narcissist. Such people, he warned “have a dangerous, yet effective mix of a lack of empathy, self-centeredness, deviousness and self-regard which can propel them to the top of the organizations.”

The good news? I thought the number would have been higher.
                        Last edited by JRT; 31 Jul 17,, 23:15.

Comment

Trump Removes Anthony Scaramucci From Communications Director Role

WASHINGTON — President Trump has decided to remove Anthony Scaramucci from his position as communications director, three people close to the decision said Monday, relieving him just days after Mr. Scaramucci unloaded a crude verbal tirade against other senior members of the president’s senior staff.

Mr. Scaramucci’s abrupt removal came just 10 days after the wealthy New York financier was brought on to the West Wing staff, a move that convulsed an already chaotic White House and led to the departures of Sean Spicer, the former press secretary, and Reince Priebus, the president’s first chief of staff.

The decision to remove Mr. Scaramucci, who had boasted about reporting directly to the president not the chief of staff, John F. Kelly, came at Mr. Kelly’s request, the people said. Mr. Kelly made clear to members of the White House staff at a meeting Monday morning that he is in charge.

It was not clear whether Mr. Scaramucci will remain employed at the White House in another position or will leave altogether. Link

Breaking news, still to be confirmed, however...

One thing I never doubted was Kelly's willingness to knock heads together.
                          Possibly a good sign that Gen. Kelly has been given authority over senior staff? If so, this is one of his few good moves (the others being Mattis and McMaster)

Comment

• Originally posted by JRT View Post
                            Oh yeah, most definitely.
                            We actually went over all of this at the beginning of the election season.

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                            Possibly a good sign that Gen. Kelly has been given authority over senior staff? If so, this is one of his few good moves (the others being Mattis and McMaster)
                            Oh it'll be nice for a while. Then Trump will do or tweet something heinous and Gen. Kelly will resign, OR Gen. Kelly will tell Trump "No" or something similar and Gen. Kelly will be fired.

When you're dealing with a sociopath, these things are almost scripted.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRT View Post
                              Oh, that is a given. The stories I have been told in my exam room by people who work in Silicon Valley are quite interesting. Without naming names Apple and Oracle were two prominent companies mentioned a lot. Silicon Valley is littered with those personalities back then and today such as Shkreli and Kalanick.

Comment

No, not "crazy", but almost certainly suffering from (or enjoying) sociopathy, more correctly known as Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD),

"a personality disorder characterized by a long term pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. An impoverished moral sense or conscience is often apparent, as well as a history of crime, legal problems, or impulsive and aggressive behavior"

More specifically Narcissistic personality disorder
                                • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
                                • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
                                • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
                                • Needing constant admiration from others
                                • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
                                • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
                                • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
                                • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
                                • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

(Any of that remind you of someone?)
                                You just described 90% of the 535 members of Congress.

Comment

Working...
                                X