Germany to replace the G36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany to replace the G36

With a Piston AR-15 variant. With a very cool AUG type barrel removal set up.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...nmetall-rs556/
    Last edited by surfgun; 01 Jan 17,, 18:18.

The Rheinmetall/Steyr bid is just one of a number in the running. Heckler & Koch will likely be going in with a modified HK416A5 (similar to the version they sold France), while SigSauer will run with its MCX. There'll probably be a couple more contenders, but those three are the ones with actual chances at winning.

Comment

Ironic seeing as the US Army a few years ago tried to back door the G-36 into American service.
      To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

There is a reason why the XM-8 was S--- canned.

Comment

Those are some pretty nifty features, particularly not requiring gun oil. I'm assuming there's some kind of graphite coating involved with the moving parts? It sounds like something that could reduce stoppages significantly in dirty environments.

I'm curious how much abuse the special coating can take before it needs to be reapplied, and if it can be done in the field.

------------------------------

Ironic seeing as the US Army a few years ago tried to back door the G-36 into American service.
          I don't foresee the US moving away from the M4 pattern until either caseless ammunition becomes feasible or some other new revolution in firearms occurs to actually increase lethality.

I thought there might be a big move towards a bullpup design a few years ago, but evidently the reduction in overall length wasn't enough to justify the expense involved.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
            The XM-8 didn't make the cut, but I'm interested to see if the improved XM-25 gets fielded now that it's essentially reached milestone C. It's about the only recent "revolutionary" change to infantry firepower I can think of.

Rifles continue to come out with new little refinements, but there there hasn't really been a significant change in their lethality or performance since the big switch from .762 to .556.

Giving Infantry the tools to deal with an enemy in cover organically, without the need for indirect fire support is a big deal. Particularly when it can reach out to 600+ yards as opposed to the short range of an underbarrel 40mm.

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post
              Heard rumours FN might drop into the German competition... with SCAR.

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
              To be fair the original HK50 was a pretty fine rifle when it was field-tested by the army. It fully accomodated the tests, including the LMG-like usage tests that the G36 has its problems with.
              Then HK went and saved the government some money and the soldiers some weight by pretty much stripping it down. Including saving half a kilo just on the barrel.

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
              Those are some pretty nifty features, particularly not requiring gun oil. I'm assuming there's some kind of graphite coating involved with the moving parts? It sounds like something that could reduce stoppages significantly in dirty environments.
              I've seen it strongly suggested - and not denied - that it's likely simply a dry graphite aerosol used for lubrication in an Austrian military forum. With people who've shot the STM556 participating in discussion.

Though i've also seen comments from Austrians that "it kinda sounds like the self-cleaning M16".

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                I've seen it strongly suggested - and not denied - that it's likely simply a dry graphite aerosol used for lubrication in an Austrian military forum. With people who've shot the STM556 participating in discussion.

Though i've also seen comments from Austrians that "it kinda sounds like the self-cleaning M16".
                That actually sounds like what I already use on my guns with good results. It sprays on and dries in a few seconds, and collects noticeably less dust/powder residue than when I was using Rem oil.

However, I can't speak to it's ability to keep the internals from rusting when guns are taken out in the rain for extended periods of time. I still use oil when waterfowl hunting due to that concern, even though I know my firearms will be dried off at the end of the day and stored in dry conditions. Removing rust from the little nooks and crannies of the tiny internal bits can be a real pain.

If the STM556 is designed around being lubricated with dry lube spray, it must incorporate stainless steel or an aluminum alloy in places where rust would be a concern.
                Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 05 Jan 17,, 16:41.

Comment

More on the Rheinmetall/Steyr rifle.
                  http://www.janes.com/article/66709/r...-assault-rifle

Comment

More or less confirms what I have been starting to suspect over the past couple of years which is that 'bullpup' configured rifles have had their day in the sun and been found wanting. As much as the additional barrel length intrinsic to such designs is desirable apparently the professional consensus (based on a couple of articles I have read recently) is that there is a significant loss of situational awareness during mag changes which recent combat experience has taught is not worth the price.This is especially the case when you are engaged in a firefight at close quarters and (based on those articles) its the principal reason special forces units like our SAS don't use the Steyer Aug.

So it looks like soldiers equipped with bull pups have no choice but to look down while changing over mags. Well trained soldiers can do a mag change very quickly of course but no matter how fast they are they still lose visual contact with the enemy and have to re-orientate themselves before engaging - something that apparently doesn't have to happen convention rifles.

At a guess I wouldn't expect any western army to be equipped with Bull-pup designs in a decade or so as new combat systems get rolled out.
                    Last edited by Monash; 08 Jan 17,, 21:56.
                    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

New from HK
                      Attached Files
                      To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Short version:

Click image for larger version

Name:	TpWLAHZ.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1470414

Short & Long:

Name:	90074d1486076429-hk433-new-assault-rifle-hk-img_8133.jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1470415

Also:

Name:	e21331b063eb625af309c24aebff37a1.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1470416

G36 with some minor changes in a aluminium frame from HK416. Getting rid of both the AR vestiges of the HK416 and the plastic case of the G36.

They haven't said yet btw that they're gonna run the Army G36 Successor competition with it.

Comment

Jane's claims that the competitors for the tender are:
                          • Heckler & Koch with HK433 (... see last post)
                          • Rheinmetall with RS556 (see first post)
                          • FN Herstal with FN SCAR (no mention which version)
                          • SIG Sauer with SIG MCX (AR15 architecture - just even uglier)
                          • Haenel Defense with MK556 (AR15 architecture - even uses M4 parts)

Contract expected April/May 2019 pending parliamentary funding approval.
                          Last edited by kato; 23 Sep 17,, 17:42.

Comment

• In a significant change since the last similar tender (rifles for SOF in spring), the Bundeswehr is demanding that the rifles have to be ITAR free. Guess what happened politically since spring. Rumours of this basically broke last month.
                            • SIG Sauer has now withdrawn the MCX from the tender claiming "discrimination against US companies" and also claiming that other conditions (such as no ammunition for testing being provided) favour current Bundeswehr suppliers, in particular H&K. They were also not able to provide a sample weapon within the timeframe required.

The ITAR-free condition effectively removes all AR15-based bids, and brings the competition down to HK vs Rheinmetall/Steyr-Mannlicher. No word on FN entering the SCAR recently, and due to its price also doubtable given a cost ceiling (2000 Euro per rifle) has been announced.

P.S., reading through German sources: SIG Sauer would have had to buy the ammunition for tests. The conditions include an offered sales contract to anyone submitting a bid for 146,000 rounds in either 5.56x45 or 7.62x51 from standard Bundeswehr stocks.
                            Last edited by kato; 24 Nov 17,, 18:25.

Comment

Working...
                            X