1/72 F-18s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/72 F-18s

Had these around for a few weeks and decided I should get something built (or at least started) before the year runs out.

All Hasegawa kits. I have 2 F-18Es, A F-18F and a F-18C.

the F is in the VFA-41 Black Aces CAG boxing

One of the Es and the C in the VFA-27 Royal Maces History boxing.

The last one is the old F-18E boxing with VFA-14 Top Hat USS Nimitz 2009 (?) CAG or VFA 115 Eagles CAG.

Pictures to follow

First Build. Old E with Eduard PE

Click image for larger version

Name:	VF14.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	1470110Click image for larger version

Name:	decals.jpg
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	1470111

Comment

Did a little. Glued wings, drop tanks together.

Then started on the cockpit

The Eduard PE really dresses up the otherwise plain back deck. And their instrument panels are way better then the decals that Hasegawa provides.

Name:	cockpit PE.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1470112Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1470113

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        First Build. Old E with Eduard PE
        I see it came with the correct squadron decals :-)
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Bit more work today

Finished the cockpit and put the fuselage together.

After the fact, I will say that PE in 1/72 scale isn't worth buying. After a couple hours folding and putting the cockpit PE together, I realize that you won't see any of it. And they caused fit problems.

The back deck piece and the bangseat pieces were worth using. Since I have a set for the 18F I'll use them but the rest of the planes will be OOB.

Name:	cockpit 2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1470137Click image for larger version

Name:	seat before.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1470138Click image for larger version

Name:	seat.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1470139

Big seam. Had been warned about it reading other builds. So I didn't put the intakes on. Much easier to fix that way

Name:	seam.jpg
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	1470140
          Last edited by Gun Grape; 01 Jan 17,, 07:53. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
            I see it came with the correct squadron decals :-)
            Hate to break it to you. I'm not using them. Have some different squadron decals that I like better.

The only plane I'm using the kit decals on is the F-18F VF-41 CAG markings.

Name:	black aces.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1470141

Comment

Hate to break it to you. I'm not using them. Have some different squadron decals that I like better.
              I swear to god...

We just can't have nice things!
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                I swear to god...

We just can't have nice things!

I like this one better. What do you think?

Name:	02.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1470142

Name:	VFA14_01.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1470144
                Attached Files

Comment

I like it!

Comment

What happened?

Right after this, we had the holidays, 2 birthdays, 1 funeral, The wife and I's anniversary (26th).

Then the water got cold enough for the winter fish (Whiting and Trout) to start biting. I only do models on the weekend. And if the choice is between putting together a model or fishing. Fishing wins every time.

I have not forgot about these. They are just in a holding pattern.

Comment

Notice how clean that plane was. I don't like them when they're over-weathered. It's funny... I only do modeling during the week. It's my retirement "job". That's the deal wife and I've worked out.

Comment

Fish are not biting, its to hot. Got my son graduated from High School, and all that entails. Got him off to AF boot camp, went to see his Boot Camp Graduation a week before the hurricane. Had a close call with Irma

Finally a little bit of model building time. Oh yea, now that the son is gone and there is a spare/unused room, I talked the wife into letting me put a work table in there instead of trying to build from my computer desk.

Got the F-18F done. Mostly, still need to microsand the dust off the gloss coat. Then give her a satin finish.

Hasegawa 1/72 F-18f in Black Aces CAG boxing

It has been too humid to use the airbrush so painted with a harry stick using model master paints.

Finished as the 2010 CAG bird off the USS Nimitz. Slick with 2 CATM-9s on the wingtips

A few quick pics. I'll post more/better ones when I get them all finished.

Name:	f-18f-1.jpg
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	1471614

Name:	f-18f-2.jpg
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	1471615

Name:	f-18f-3.jpg
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	1471616

Name:	f-18f-4.jpg
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	1471617

Name:	f-18f-5.JPG
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	1471618

Comment

I like this one better. What do you think?
                          How did I miss this?? YES USE THIS ONE!

Comment

Well done, Gunny!
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Good job! Are you putting on some matte finish?

Comment

Working...
                              X