Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks AR.

Comment

Earlier I mentioned how bad the Hasegawa 18C is. Well the D isn't any better. In their defense, these are old issue models, that have been reboxed. Both share the same sprues, with a added one thrown in to make the D (2 seat) model. A late 70s kit, that was updated with engraved panel lines in the mid 80s. Now molds are showing their age with flash, warpage and shrinkage.

On to the kit

Click image for larger version

Name:	F-18d  a.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1475722

With these decals

Name:	F-18d b.jpg
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	1475723

To show how old the parts are, the sprues were labeled F-18a/TF-18A. Made before the training version got the "B" designation.
      The part number is molded into the part. If its large enough. Typical, 1970s stuff

Name:	F-18d c.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	1475724

Name:	F-18d d.jpg
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1475725

Even with that thought, Hasegawa always has been known for really good molded in detail. Look at the wheel well and gun vents. There are recent releases from other companies that are no where near this good

Name:	F-18d e.jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1475726

Comment

Fuselage parts were warped and had a bit of shrinkage. Took a few hours of Hot water bath then bend the part a bit, More hot water then bend.....

Got most of the warp out. Then came glue a bit. Hold till it dried, Then bend to get more lined up, glue, hold. repeat

One side came out pretty good. A bit of filler and it will be fine

Name:	d-1.jpg
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1475744

The other side was the one that had shrunk. Had to cut a shim from card stock to fill the gap.

Name:	d-2.jpg
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1475745

The intakes were oversized. Got the front half sanded down. Still need to sand the backs

Name:	d-3.jpg
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1475746

Cockpit pretty shabby. Bang seats not installed yet. The D model doesn't have a stick in back so don't follow the instructions and put one there. Instrument panel is wrong. But she will have the canopy closed and wont be seen.

Name:	d-4.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1475747

Comment

Package from Sprue Brothers came today.

Plan to do a asymmetrical CAS loadout According to one of my F-18 books one of the loadouts that the Vikings used was Maverick and gas tank on port wing, sniper pod on fuselage hardpoint
          And 2 500lb LGBs and 1 500lb JDAM on the starboard wing.

So I ordered these sets.

Name:	E-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1475748

Name:	e-2.jpg
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1475749

Name:	E-3.jpg
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	1475750

Comment

You do good work! And you have a terrific understanding of the subject and that's a big help.

Comment

Paint time

Coat of Vallejo Black Primer on the bird.

I haven't jumped on the "Black Basing" bandwagon. I just got a bottle of Ammo by MIG one shot white primer. Played with it on a test model. Still trying to figure it out. But I also got a Ammo by mig paint set and am trying to figure them out also. They don't spray like every other acrylic paint. And the company is proud of that! If I wasn't so stubborn, I would have thrown them away.

My normal primer is Vallejo Lt Ghost Grey. But its hard to see where you put the primer down when the plastic is also grey. 2d model using the black. I like it. Its gotten to where all I'm using is Vallejo Model Air.

Name:	B-1.jpg
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	1475772

Name:	b-2.jpg
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	1475773

Also started on the underwing stores. We have just about got to where everything is grey.on the Navy/Marine side. But I did old 500lb bombs (green, no heat resistant coating) with new paveway kits to add a little color. And all Marine Corps Sniper pods are Gunship Grey

Name:	b-3.jpg
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1475774

Comment

I know... some guys swear by the black undercoating, and then bury it in layers of top coats and weathering. I know that gloss black is supposed to be used under the metallizer coats is necessary to give them depth. I haven't done it yet, but am willing to try. Your work is very good and I know you'll make it work.

Comment

Shot a coat of paint on the bird and worked on the ord.

Name:	c-1.jpg
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	1475775

Name:	c-2.jpg
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	1475776

I do like the black primer. But, it does hide stuff like scratches, mold lines gaps. Don't catch those till you put the first coat of paint on. Then you end up sanding and respraying after fixing the problems.

Comment

Decals started. Decided to get the big ones out of the way first. The Orion decals are working good. No problem with the major decals but some of the stenciling/data decals came apart. I'll have to use the kit decals for that

Name:	g-1.jpg
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	1475811

Name:	g-2.jpg
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	1475812

Name:	g-4.jpg
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	1475813

Comment

Finished, well maybe some touchup. The kit is crap. Missing lots of bumps and other things that make it a "D" model. Wolfpack use to make a update set for it. But if you want a 2 seat Marine bird, this model is the only game in town

Hasegawa 1/72 F-18D
                      Hasegawa Weapon sets 4 (Maverick) 6 (500lb Paveways) and 9 (500lb JDAM and Sniper Pod)
                      Vallejo Model Air paints (Black Primer, Lt Ghost Grey and Dark Ghost Grey, Insignia White)
                      Testors Model Master Acrylic Flat
                      Orion Decals

Name:	h-6.jpg
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	1475822

Name:	h-2.jpg
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	1475823

Name:	h-3.jpg
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	1475824

Name:	h-5.jpg
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	1475825

Name:	h-4.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	1475826

Comment

I've built a C, D, E, and F.

That leaves only one variant left.

Birthdays coming up. And Sprue Brothers had a 20% sale on Hasegawa kits last week. This is one of the things I got myself.

Name:	f-2.jpg
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1475827

Comment

On to the "G". Had planned to take a Hornet break and do a F-14 or the new boxing F-4 from Academy. But the wife thought this looked "Cute" and wants me to do it next. Happy wife, Happy Life. So here goes

After 2 crappy models I'm back to the better fitting E/F Hasegwa. The G boxing is updated from the basic E/F boxing in that it has the updated cooling stacks between the tails. They have done the same with all their recent release CAG birds but still sell the original boxing with old exhaust. Remember that if you want to build a early OEF bird or anything before 2012ish.

First the sprue shots. All marked F-18E/F/G. Standard E/F sprues except for one.

Name:	g-1.jpg
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	1475910

Name:	g-2.jpg
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	1475911

Name:	g-3.jpg
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	1475912

And here is the "G" specific sprue. Hasegawa finally had to include some underwing stores. Its what makes a G.

Name:	g-4.jpg
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	1475913

Comment

Some "G" specific things. All annotated in the instructions. Lots of holes to drill out for the various sensors. Some panel lines to get rid of. And a gun to close up

Name:	g-5.jpg
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	1475914

Name:	g-6.jpg
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	1475915

And something not mentioned in the instructions, The gun vents need to be filled in. The Growler doesn't have a gun and it doesn't have vents.

Name:	g-7.jpg
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1475916

Been fighting a cold/flu for the last week. So drilling out holes and filling vents is all I got done this weekend.

Comment

In the end it should look something like this

VAQ-132 The Scorpions

Name:	Scorpions.jpg
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1475917

Comment

As per your usual quality, it's going to be a nice build. I forgot that the "Growler" has a different designation. Lots of stuff hanging under it. Hope you feel better. Apparently, you and a few million others are getting that flu.

Comment

Working...
                                X