Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big K View Post
    this one seems like Gulens move
    Isn't Gulen's movement secular by nature? The killer was obvious Islamic fanatic as far as I can see
    We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
      :O

Props to Pedicabby for the inappropriate.....but very funny pic.

Stayin' alive, stayin' alive. ...ah....ah....ah.....ah....stayin' aliveeeeee~
      tsk tsk ,,,

I heard Putin is having Turkey for xmas .

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
        Isn't Gulen's movement secular by nature? The killer was obvious Islamic fanatic as far as I can see
        Secular? I must have missed it. Isn't he an imam?
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Thanks, I'll look him up more thoroughly
          We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

Pruned off the posts about Tankie and his future misadventures and moved them here :-)

Tankie's Visit(?) To Russia
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
              Definitely Islamic- they aligned with the AKP against the military and secular interests in Turkey. They tend to be described as more tolerant and peaceful, but I've also seen them described as cultish.

Comment

Gulen and Erbodan are both non-secular and in fact used to be pretty close allies before they broke up, leading Gulen into exile in the U.S.
                But all in all, Gulens are pretty pacifist (just based on readings in the past few years).

Just because Gulen is islamist doesn't mean he is crazy or bent to turn the world upside down.

Comment

Gulen favors a secular government that is tolerant of religion, but he is fairly mainstream. He is a Hanafi Sunni but he appears to be trying to modernize it to be more tolerant of other beliefs and better able to co-exist in a modern world with other religious and non-religious actors. This is why he's so welcome in the U.S. As far as whether he has any ulterior motives who knows? Or maybe who doesn't is the better question. They seem pretty reasonable but I do get a little bit of a sense of something odd about the movement, like Scientologists or Jehova's....nothing rational or factual that I can put a finger on, just a feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                    The most obvious reason is the one the shooter stated, i.e. the Syrian opposition. They obviously have the motivation
                    Yep, this is what happens to parties that get the job done. When they good/bad terrorist game isn't played.

Always some symbolic high impact retaliation.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                      Unusually clear for an attack of this kind but perfectly understandable why: He was in a brightly lit room in front of a crowd of journalists, i.e. professional photographers with high-end equipment.
                      One of the photog sites was commending the presence of mind of the photog who just kept er shooting while it happened.

There was interesting article i read about when it all went colour from black & white. Some time in '87 some pol in the US shot himself at a press confrerence. Prior to that incident the choice of colour or not was left to staff after it became the norm.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 03 Jan 17,, 20:45.

Comment

Working...
                      X