The Terror of Fake News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
    Some ABC @fake news, tanking the markets.
    http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/12...e-stock-market
    The usual squabble over words. ABC calls it a "clarification". Looks to me like a retraction. In any case, it illustrates how fact-checking sometimes goes by the board in the rush to report.

The momentary drop and quick correction in the Dow was largely due to auto-trading driven by algorithms that weigh political news into their projections. If you're a retail trader this should give you some insight as to how the market will react if ever that sort of news becomes accurate. Anyway, alert retail traders made some decent money on the dip.

EDIT: ABC has suspended Brian Ross, the reporter who made the error. The suspension will run for 4 weeks without pay. ABC apologized for the error, saying the report was not properly vetted.
    Last edited by JAD_333; 03 Dec 17,, 01:27.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• After outcry, ABC suspends (Fake News reporter) Ross for four weeks without pay.
      http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42214214
      Last edited by surfgun; 03 Dec 17,, 14:05.

Comment

• No, Trump's approval rating hasn't caught up to Obama's

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/29/po...ing/index.html
        Trust me?
        I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
          No, Trump's approval rating hasn't caught up to Obama's

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/29/po...ing/index.html
          Prince Harry interviewed Obama on the Today Program this week, did you get to hear it?

Comment

• No, traveling
            Trust me?
            I'm an economist!

Comment

• Fox & Friends finally admits right-wing media's favorite economic statistic is mislea

After years of hyping declining labor force participation rate, Fox & Friends points out that the statistic isn’t useful for measuring economic activity

December 5, 2017 www.mediamatters.org/issues/economy

This morning, Fox & Friends pointed out that the labor force participation rate, a favorite statistic cited by Fox News during the Obama administration to dismiss economic successes, can be a misleading indicator of the health of the job market. Fox spent years using a declining labor force participation rate to portray the job market in a negative light while hyping grossly exaggerated claims about the so-called “real unemployment rate.” And President Donald Trump also used the network’s purposeful distortion of the labor force statistic during the 2016 election campaign.

In 2010, the Pew Research Center reported that “10,000 Baby Boomers” will reach retirement age “every day for the next 19 years,” and, as The Washington Post’s Glenn Kessler pointed out in 2014, “The composition of the labor force has been affected by the retirement of the leading edge of the Baby Boom generation.”

On the December 5 edition of Fox & Friends, when co-host Brian Kilmeade mentioned the lagging labor force participation rate during a discussion of the health of the economy under Trump, co-host Steve Doocy was quick to point out that the statistic was misleading because “a lot of those people are retired.” The about-face is yet another example since Trump's inauguration in which Fox has abandoned its conspiratorial portrayals of the labor market, often going out of its way to put a positive spin on numbers they would have trashed during the Obama administration:

BRIAN KILMEADE (CO-HOST): There’s two things I'm looking at, the trade deals and the workforce. So only 60 percent of the workforce is working right now. How do we get those people into the game?
              STUART VARNEY: I don't have an answer to your question. I do believe, however, that when you restore prosperity and you've got real growth, people will be enticed back into the labor force because there’s a decent job available. It makes sense to go back into the labor force, if that’s the case.
              STEVE DOOCY (CO-HOST): But also, a lot of those people are retired.
              VARNEY: Yes, a lot of the people are retired, that’s very true.
              KILMEADE: Yeah, I don't want to make them work again. I mean they’re fine.
              DOOCY: Move to Florida.
              VARNEY: I should be retired.

Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

• Trump calls off trip to London, blaming Obama for Bush embassy decision

Jan. 12, 2018, USA Today

WASHINGTON — President Trump said he canceled a planned trip to London because he doesn't want to cut the ribbon at the new U.S. embassy there that he described as a "bad deal."

Trump's on-again, off-again visit to the United Kingdom had been in the planning stages but hadn't been officially announced. The latest cancellation is sure to increase tensions with a vital ally that has broken with Trump recently over his anti-Muslim rhetoric. Some neighborhoods in London declared themselves off-limits to the president.

Trump confirmed his decision on Twitter late Thursday night after British newspapers reported that fears of mass protests had scuttled the trip. A poll from last year found that about 4% of Britain's population — roughly 2.5 million people — would protest a state visit by Trump. But he gave a different reason, blaming former President Obama.

"Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for 'peanuts,' only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars," Trump said in a tweet late Thursday. "Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!"

The problem with that rationale is that Trump's tweet misrepresented the history of the U.S. Embassy move. According to the State Department, it was the administration of President George W. Bush — not Obama — that decided to build a new embassy in 2006 and chose the new location in 2008.

And the billion-dollar price tag is typical of an embassy construction of that size. Officials also said that it was financed entirely by the sale of other U.S. property in England — not new taxpayer money.

The diplomatic compound moved from Grosvenor Square in the well-heeled Mayfair neighborhood of central London, to Nine Elms, a formerly industrial area of southwest London that has been part of regeneration efforts by the capital city.

Trump's ambassador to the United Kingdom, Woody Johnson, described the new embassy last month as a "signal to the world" that the “special relationship” between the two nations "is stronger and is going to grow and get better."

But the decision to cancel the visit will be an embarrassment to British Prime Minister Theresa May. While the trip was always intended to be a working one, and separate to an official full state visit this year for which a date has not been set, as president Trump has visited more than a dozen countries ahead of Britain. These include: Belgium, China, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Japan, the Philippines, Poland, Saudi Arabia, South Korea and Vietnam. He has even visited Vatican City and the West Bank.

White House officials could not immediately be reached to clarify the reasoning behind the decision. May's office has also not commented. But others who have long opposed Trump's visit to Britain, including London Mayor Sadiq Khan, have.

"Many Londoners have made it clear that Donald Trump is not welcome here while he is pursuing such a divisive agenda. It seems he’s finally got that message," Khan said.

Trump will visit the World Economic Forum meeting in Davos, Switzerland this month

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/1027345001/
                Trust me?
                I'm an economist!

Comment

• Sarah Huckabee Sanders pleads ignorance as the Rob Porter mess worsens
                  Washington Post

We've reached the stage in the Rob Porter saga where the White House's previous statements now appear so blatantly false that all press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders can do is suggest she didn't know they were false.
                  Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

• How not to read the news (or, to gather “related coverage” and imply it’s the same story):

China Sichuan Airlines pilot 'half sucked out of plane' survives
                    BBC News

Related Coverage
                    Flight passenger detained after he opens emergency exit to get fresh air
                    International Business Times,

The two stories are totally unrelated.
                    The pilot did not open the door mid-flight to get some fresh air, and the passenger who did open the door did so while the plane was on the ground.
                    Trust me?
                    I'm an economist!

Comment

• Interesting report on how the media should handle 'disinformation'/propaganda/lies: https://datasociety.net/wp-content/u...ication_DS.pdf

Comment

• What do you make of this vid. It's in favour of social media. It seems to imply just because a story that might not be popular gt shared many times it was read and checked. hence true

Comment

• Fake news outlet settles out of court.
                          https://www.foxnews.com/media/the-fi...-nick-sandmann

Comment

• More about fake news at ABC.
                            https://www.foxnews.com/media/abc-ne...s-video-report

Comment

• FactChecking Trump’s Coronavirus Press Conference

By Jessica McDonald, Eugene Kiely, and Lori Robertson, FactCheck.org, Feb 27, 2020

Facing a declining stock market and criticism from Democrats, President Donald Trump and other officials have minimized the risks of the coronavirus to the U.S. and given inaccurate and misleading information about the new virus.

• Trump said the current number of COVID-19 cases in the U.S. is “going very substantially down, not up.” But the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said to expect more cases and has warned that it is highly unlikely that the virus will not spread to some degree within the U.S. The first case of community spread may have already occurred.
                              • Economic adviser Larry Kudlow also misled on the potential for the virus to spread within the U.S., saying in a television interview, “We have contained this,” and “[I]t’s pretty close to airtight.”
                              • The president said that the U.S. is “rapidly developing a vaccine” for COVID-19 and “will essentially have a flu shot for this in a fairly quick manner.” That’s misleading. The director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said a vaccine at best won’t be ready for “a year to a year-and-a-half” and won’t be available for the current epidemic.
                              • So far, the fatality rate for COVID-19 has been about 2-3%, higher than the influenza fatality rate in the United States of about 0.1%. But in talking about those rates, the president made confusing remarks that left a false impression that “the flu is much higher” than the coronavirus rate.
                              • Trump’s acting secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Chad Wolf, falsely claimed this week that the influenza fatality rate was “right around 2% as well.” It’s not.
                              • In making a comparison to a past outbreak, the president correctly noted that Ebola is far more deadly than the novel coronavirus. But he neglected to mention that Ebola can only be transmitted via bodily fluids and is harder to catch.

The president made these claims in a Feb. 26 press conference, in which he said Vice President Mike Pence would lead the administration’s response to the coronavirus outbreak. Wolf and Kudlow, who is now a member of the administration’s coronavirus task force, spoke earlier this week.

The outbreak of the 2019 novel coronavirus, which causes the COVID-19 disease, began in the central Chinese city of Wuhan at the end of last year. It has now sickened more than 82,000 people and killed more than 2,800. The virus, which causes pneumonia-like symptoms, is fairly similar to the severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, virus but is a new pathogen. See our Q&A on the virus for more information.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/fa...ss-conference/
                              Trust me?
                              I'm an economist!

Comment

• Wired Magazine takes on the slimy purveyors of fake news

Myth: Covid-19 isn’t more dangerous than seasonal flu

“Why aren’t people this worried about normal flu?” has been the refrain of high-street coronavirus experts since the disease first emerged at the very end of 2019. But this conflation is wrong for a number of reasons. First off, Covid-19 is more deadly than seasonal flu. The average flu strain kills about 0.1 per cent of those infected, but the Covid-19 mortality rate is much higher. Figures from Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak, put it at closer to two per cent while figures including deaths outside of Wuhan are lower.

Covid-19 also seems to spread more easily than seasonal flu. The infectiousness of a disease is defined by something called the reproduction number, which estimates how many new infections spring from each case of the virus. Each person infected with Covid-19 appears to infect 2.2 more people on average, but for seasonal flu that number is about 1.3.

Another factor that makes Covid-19 worth worrying about is the fact that it’s a totally new virus in humans. We don’t have any natural immunity or vaccines against Covid-19. And although more than 80 per cent of Covid-19 cases are mild, according to one Chinese study, this makes it more likely that it’ll spread without being detected by health authorities.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/alco...s-myth-busting
                                Trust me?
                                I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                                X