The Terror of Fake News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
    If you go to Breitbart or it's extreme left equivalent The Daily Beast you'll see their advertising revenue is generated almost purely by click-bait.
    The New York Time's revenue is generated almost entirely by big brand advertisers, the interwebs companies almost entirely by click-bait. Click-bait doesn't care about politics, only traffic, because that's the fundamental structure of internet advertising.
    It's very unlikely big-name advertising brands refusing to advertise or anti-site-campaigns would have any significant impact on either Daily Beast or Breitbart.

In the article it says that advertisers can prevent their ads from appearing on any site, provided they tell the ad placement folks to avoid it. That includes click bait ads. All placements come from a bidding process. If the pool of advertisers willing to run ads on a particular site shrinks, the bid for space will be lower, and result in less ad revenue for the site. Supply and demand.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
      http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017...church-alight/

There's a couple interesting German articles that take it apart pretty much paragraph by paragraph. Each paragraph has a kernel of truth which is then modified, twisted and embellished to create the kind of sentence that neo-fascist rag wants. Exactly the way propaganda is traditionally spun if you want to do it the right way. The KGB would be proud.
      Yes, it is a complete bullshit article. My cousin-in-law just shared an article from the NY Times about a study commissioned by the sugar industry in the 60s. Why? Because liberals in the NY Times want to create a narrative that the sugar industry invented the "Fat is Bad" mantra, and not decades of "research" by government-funded "academics." Because if we question the academics, why, WHAT ELSE MIGHT THE PROLES QUESTION?

When do I get to shut down the New York Times?
      "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
        In the article it says that advertisers can prevent their ads from appearing on any site, provided they tell the ad placement folks to avoid it. That includes click bait ads. All placements come from a bidding process. If the pool of advertisers willing to run ads on a particular site shrinks, the bid for space will be lower, and result in less ad revenue for the site. Supply and demand.
        Click-bait sites are different, they don't advertise a product, they advertise their site with "you won't believe what she looks like now". "OMG, he found this in his back yard, you WON'T BELIEVE what happened next!"
        The advertising revenue is generated from those sites and a margin is passed back to the original site. Every company in the world could ban Breitbart from their list and they would still receive revenue because the click-bait sites aren't breitbart.
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Heard an interview on the radio where they interviewed the owner of one of the fake news sites. He said they could make up to $10,000 on a fake news story. The example he gave of one that netted 10K was that Morgan Freedman was supporting Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
            Click-bait sites are different, they don't advertise a product, they advertise their site with "you won't believe what she looks like now". "OMG, he found this in his back yard, you WON'T BELIEVE what happened next!"
            The advertising revenue is generated from those sites and a margin is passed back to the original site. Every company in the world could ban Breitbart from their list and they would still receive revenue because the click-bait sites aren't breitbart.
            I know the difference, but you make a good point. The click bait sites can be Trojan Horses. I checked out all the click bait ads on Breitbart and didn't see any major advertisers listed on those sites. Hardly a scientific study. I noticed that some click bait sites are a rabbit warren of links to more click bait sites. Still never found a major company advertised. Still, I concede your point that it's hard for a company to ensure its ads are inaccessible from Breitbart, etal. However, companies can avoid popping up on Breitbart and click bait sites and thereby deny them all revenue. Remains to be seen if this campaign will produce results.
            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
              Still never found a major company advertised.
              Nor are you likely to. I've never seen a kelloggs add on Breibart, Daily Beast, Drudge Report, Vox, or Hufpo. My point I guess is that modern media isn't reliant on major advertisers, only legacy media like the NYT is. They're barking up the wrong tree, probably more to retain their own revenue stream than to have any effect on new media.

Leibniz

Comment

It really is toooo easy
                http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...source=copyurl
                https://www.buzzfeed.com/kenbensinge...18d#.tqaKpwr2B
                http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/10/po...sia/index.html
                Here's 4chan/POL taking credit for it in early november
                https://archive.4plebs.org/pol/threa...8919/#95571329

Leibniz

Comment

Even when you get actual real News. Who decides the order and context and whose opinion matters most......

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
                    Even when you get actual real News. Who decides the order and context and whose opinion matters most......
                    The editor. As long as everything is factual and opinion can be seen as such it's all good.
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

White House press secretary Sean Spicer asserted at Thursday’s press briefing that Iran had attacked a U.S. naval vessel, as part of his argument defending the administration’s bellicose announcement that Iran is “on notice.”

“I think General Flynn was really clear yesterday that Iran has violated the Joint Resolution, that Iran’s additional hostile actions that it took against our Navy vessel are ones that we are very clear are not going to sit by and take,” he said. “I think that we will have further updates for you on those additional actions.”

In the real world, Yemen-based Houthi rebels are suspected of having launched an attack on a Saudi frigate.
                      Trust me?
                      I'm an economist!

Comment

During a Thursday interview with MSNBC’s Chris Matthews, Kellyanne Conway, counselor to the president, defended President Trump’s travel ban related to seven majority-Muslim countries. At one point, Conway made a reference to two Iraqi refugees whom she described as the masterminds behind “the Bowling Green massacre.”

In the real world, there never was a terrorist attack in Bowling Green Kentucky.
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

Holy cripes.

Now fake news (and the so called real news) is having a conniption fit over an obviously mispoken word that was corrected in a matter of seconds and frothing at the mouth about it.

:40 second mark

Comment

And of course it turns out Trump hanging up on "Trunbill" turns out to be fake as well.

Leibniz

Comment

A roundup of some of the fake news generated in the last week by legacy media

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/04/er...dministration/

Leibniz

Comment

There are powerful elements within the Iranian government and the revolutionary guards that were never happy about the nuclear deal and they have been trying very hard to torpedo it ever since. With the sudden death of their nemesis Rafsanjani and the results of the US election and an unexpected-ally in the White House (who feels the same way), they are about to get their wish.

As far as Iran's influence over Yemen is concerned, I compare that situation to Mr Trump so-called global business empire. Trump doesn't have much real-estate assets outside the US, what he has are advertising and branding deals with hotels here and there. Yet his egos demands it to be a global business empire so he keeps talking about 'empire'. Inversely, his political opponents also over-blow his businesses into a global 'empire', because it helps them make the case of conflict of interests. Everyone gets something out of this lie.

Iran has a similar situation with Yemen, I think. I am no expert, but feel that Yemen is a place, where the Quds forces like to think they hold sway, as it is another satrap like Iraq. But they don't, due to geographical challenge, an obvious naval blockade and the fact that it is in the Saudi's backyard. Yet it helps their propaganda narrative. Equally, it helps the Saudi and the White House to think that Iran's tentacles are everywhere. Everyone gets something out of this exageration.

Now, i don't know what happened with the boat in Red sea. But if for a second, one thinks that the White House won't hesitate to make up stuff & exagerate to create emotions to help their anti-Iranian narrative, one is a complete and utter fool.

Comment

Working...
                                X