• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kato View Post
    Ignorance is Strength.
    Got the room ready?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      Ministry of truth. Oh, God.
      Yup
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
        Walter was a POS with an anti Military slant during the late 1960's. He was just pretty talented in covering his motives. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned. I will say the same thing when his less masterful protege Dan Rather kicks the bucket!
        Whatever, for one's opinion...

Comment

When politicians start talking about fake news, start worrying about your freedom.....what little you have left!

Comment

I had of course forgotten this absolute pearler from the it-was-bullshit-but-we-were-noble-because-we-were-on-the-right-side-of-history brigade.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/dan-rath...ars-1445295792

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
              I had of course forgotten this absolute pearler from the it-was-bullshit-but-we-were-noble-because-we-were-on-the-right-side-of-history brigade.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/dan-rath...ars-1445295792

reminds me of former CBS anchorman, Bernard Goldberg, who wrote, in the introduction to his bestselling book, Bias:

"Sadly, Dan doesn't think that any critic who utters the words "liberal bias" can be legitimate, even if that critic worked with Dan himself for two decades. Such a critic cannot possibly be well-meaning. To Dan, such a critic is Spiro Agnew reincarnated, spouting off about those nattering nabobs of negativism. Too bad. A little introspection could go a long way.

I know that no matter how many examples I give of liberal bias, no matter how carefully I try to explain how it happens, some will dismiss my book as the product of bad blood, of a "feud" between Dan Rather and me. How do I know this? Because that is exactly how Tom Brokaw characterized it when I wrote a second Wall Street Journal piece about liberal bias in May 2001.

In it I said that as hard as it may be to believe, I'm convinced that Dan and Tom and Peter "don't even know what liberal bias is." "The problem," I wrote, "is that Mr. Rather and the other evening stars think that liberal bias means just one thing: going hard on Republicans and easy on Democrats. But real media bias comes not so much from what party they attack. Liberal bias is the result of how they see the world."
              (Bold added) http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bias...roductInfoTabs

His book is well worth reading. It's full of examples of how stories were shewed to the liberal viewpoint.
              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by drhuy View Post
                so are those leftist government sending people to communist countries to learn how to censor and control information yet?
                Nope.They have no need for that.Old school commies relied on suppressing access to information.New age sort use information overload and a fine personnel policy.Back then you had no need to be a true believer to work in propaganda related areas.Only do your job and shut up.Now you have to.

Old style communism was assimilated into the collective psyche as a form of widespread corruption.Which still allows individual freedom of thought.At individual level,the most vitriolic and honest critics were those tasked with protecting the system.

Modern types are in many respects more dangerous.They have more means to supress freedom .But what they lack is the old style commie first generation bloodthirst.
                Those who know don't speak
                He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                  There's also that crazy story about Podesta spiritual dinner with Abramovic, a respected performance artist, where they are accused of performing Satanic self-mutilation and blood drinking. Um... OK.
                  ... and then that wild story about there being thousands upon thousands of WMD's in Irak. More than one million innocent men women, and children were raped, tortured, and murdered because of that. What's worse is that the ones responsible for that Fake News are still free men. Where is a policeman and a judge when you really need them?

Comment

Originally posted by FORMBY View Post
                    ... and then that wild story about there being thousands upon thousands of WMD's in Irak. More than one million innocent men women, and children were raped, tortured, and murdered because of that. What's worse is that the ones responsible for that Fake News are still free men. Where is a policeman and a judge when you really need them?
                    Fake news has a specific definition, It's made up news generated by private media, not inaccurate intelligence reports. It would also be good if you backed up your statement that 1 million "innocent" people met the fates you described. Iraqi government estimates based on body counts & morgue entries says the number is closer to 175,000. This doesn't count coalition troops or deaths in areas controlled by Jihadist groups. US military deaths stand at around 4,500 through 2104. You say it's worse that those responsible are still free. Really? What could be worse than so many people killed.

In all fairness, there are varying scientific reports that say 1 million people have died or 500,000 or 600,000 or 300,000--take your pick--but they use mathematical formulas, such as projections based on random surveys of families claiming lost relatives.

It's good to see you engaging in discussion. Just be careful of your facts.
                    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

I've been mulling over ways of dealing with the problem. The central issue would appear to be that 'fake news' constitutes either a civil tort or potentially a breach of criminal law in as far as that applies to consumer rights. Fake news is at heart a deliberately designed 'defective' product and could potentially be covered by the same legislation that protects consumers and legitimate manufacturers/retailers from the unrestrained sale of other defective or dangerous goods. A lot of the sites are apparently foreign based (non-US) and no foreign producer of say automobiles or processed food could get away with selling dangerous or defective products into the US market without getting into a world of civil and criminal hurt - VW for instance has re-learned this lesson recently.

Assuming the websites are based in jurisdictions with US trade agreements there might be mechanisms in place to force compliance action by the country in which the site is domiciled. The problem is who lodges the compliant or otherwise claims damages? I think you might have to put in place legislation allowing the National Press Councils or related peak bodies to initiate actions and claim for damages on behalf of their members. Such legislation would be tricky of course because you would have to have a very finely tuned definition of what constitutes 'fake news' lest satirical news sites like the Onion get caught up in the mix. If you can't initiate action because the jurisdiction concerned will not comply then you may be able to apply for site blocking orders in US courts.
                      If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Iowahawk deftly destroys the latest fake news

http://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2016/12/3...n-hacking-b-s/

How would you all suggest censuring Wapo, the NYT and the POTUS for generating it?

Leibniz

Comment

No I was considering only sites specifically set up to distribute fake news.

For a start 'fake' news would have to be the default setting for the sites concerned not just a random or occasional occurrence i.e. a small percentage of total content not the entirety. Any manufacturer can produce a 'dud' product as part of a normal production run and there was indeed a run of made up 'news' articles a few years back in the US that got a couple of well respected (until then) US journalists into serious trouble so retractions in those instances are a starting point.

In any event the fault has to lie with supposedly factual articles - not opinion pieces. So I could publish a story saying 'Obama is an idiot and traitor' - based on my albeit slanted view of true statements or events and get away with it but not non factual ones saying that he was in Chicago on the December 7th this year addressing a secret conference of Islamic terrorists and has planted an neuc in the white house in order to take out Trump. Fact based versus opinion based.

Some thought would have to go into writing up the legislation to cover freedom of speech issues but it might be doable. In any case I was just trying to work through a potential remedy for the most egregious cases.
                          Last edited by Monash; 04 Jan 17,, 00:43.
                          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Iowahawk deftly destroys the latest fake news

http://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2016/12/3...n-hacking-b-s/

How would you all suggest censuring Wapo, the NYT and the POTUS for generating it?
                            I like good comedy, too, but not when it is reposted as if it were somehow factual.
                            Trust me?
                            I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                              I like good comedy, too, but not when it is reposted as if it were somehow factual.
                              Someone else has been using your account. You should change your password immediately

Leibniz

Comment

Someone else has been using your account. You should change your password immediately

I’m not sure why you posted that link; it isn’t related to the accuracy of the comedy site you posted earlier. Here’s some examples of the comedy on that other site:

“Breaking: State Dept expels 20 Nigerian diplomats after John Podesta fails to receive $1 million wire transfer from nephew of General Okezi”

“Breaking: State Dept expels Ireland, Spain, & Australia over refusal to recognize John Podesta's lottery-winning email notifications”
                                Trust me?
                                I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                                X