Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Trumpeter 1:32 Enhanced Avenger

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Builder 2010 View Post
    That's a good diagram. It really shows the construction of that middle bracket that supports the ends of the pushrods. So... pulleys not hydraulics. Is any of that handbook available on line... cheap?
    You are talking about the 664 page Erection and Maintenance Handbook for the TBM-3 Airplane. On line in various places. No download is free from what I can tell. Cds run around $140 a copy. Mine I got back in 1998.

Senior Contributor Builder 2010's Avatar
    Well then, I will leave it to the fellows that own an actual airplane, not for guys like me building a toy one. I hate to admit, but even scale models are sort of toys. Actually one could argue even owning a real one is sort of a toy. At least if I wanted one, that's what my would say.

TBM: Wing Work plus

While I did work on Saturday to finish up the PE on the other wing root, I didn't post, but got more done today. Basically what I didn't get done was get the flap hinges to work. The design is awkward and doesn't really work. I attempted to stabilize all the floating pieces with CA, but just got a mess. After messing with the pins and the PE hinges, I decided to scrap it and glue the flaps closed since I'm going to display with the wings folded and the flaps would not be hanging open. The hinge rods should have somehow snapped into their slots, not just lay there hoping that the upper wing will hold it all in place. Today I started working on the upper wings. These too have their PE enhancements some from the kit and a lot from the Eduard set. First there were two walls to install in the wheel well. Last week I cut the parts for one wing ahead of when I was going to use them thinking, "I won't lose them". Famous last words! Of course I lost one. So I cobbled one together out of styrene sheet, added a raised strip and marked and drill the rivet marks.

Name:  Wheel Well Fix.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  937.9 KB

In the wing root, the PE lined both the bottom and side of the space with all those webs. In the wing body (top), Eduard did not include a bottom and you had to fill the slots to receive the plastic webs in preparation to receive the PE wedges. Instead of piling in filler and then sanding it all off, I used styrene strip to fill the bulk of the space, and then use some filler to clean it up.

Name:  Wing Filler 1.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  398.7 KB

I used a razor saw to trim the strips down almost level so I reduced the amount of filing needed to make them flush.

Name:  Wing Filler 2.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  408.7 KB

After this pic was taken I added the Tamiya filler. I'll sand it tomorrow.

While all this was drying, I saw that there was some more PE to be added on the fuze. There were two PE overlays to add more relief to the tail skid area, and then a folded piece which was supposed to have a piece of plastic rod to add as a snubber to control the downward drop of the tail hook.

Name:  Tail PE.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  420.2 KB

Instead of the plastic rod, I drilled the PE to accept a 0.021" brass rod. I also did not use CA on this, but epoxied it with J-B Weld 5-Minute Epoxy. It cured much more securely than CA which has been letting go on a lot of the brass overlays that concerns me. I scratch the back of the brass pieces to provide more "tooth" for the CA to grab, but it still doesn't like to hold metal all that well. The epoxy worked really well, it's just not instant.

Name:  Tail Hook Snubber.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  686.8 KB

I feel bad about scrapping the hinges, but with folded wings you're not going to be expecting the flight surfaces to be moving at all.

TBM: Wings and Gear

Worked today finishing up the Eduard PE on the outer wings. There are more gussets in the outer wing. The last two are very small with the very last one, almost microscopic. On the first wing I attempted, both flew into the rift. I did get them both on the second one and was quite surprised that I did. When folded, these details are not easy to see. When un-folded, they're buried in the wing. Notice that I drilled the plastic behind the open hole on the wall PE. AMS rearing it's head again.

Name:  Outer Wing Gussets.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  457.3 KB

I painted those inner wing areas dark sea blue now since they'll be very hard to air brush when assembled. Tomorrow I'll pick out the silver details in the joint area and paint the flexible hoses rubber black.

Name:  Wing Paint 2.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  358.1 KB

While this was all drying, it was time to work on the main landing gear. I reinforced the main shaft with a piece of 0.021" brass rod, and then after assembling the oleo links, drilled the their pivot points and again used the brass wire to reinforce and make the joint more realistic.

Name:  Pinned Oleo Links.JPG
Size:  783.3 KB

On the opposite side of the wheel hub is a tie-down ring. The first one I was going to place blasted out of my tweezers, but lo and behold, I actually found it. I glued it in and carefully glued in the second. I wanted to take a picture and guess what? The first ring glue joint had let go and it disappeared again. This time it successfully went into the Rift and was lost. So, even though I had found it and glued it in, it still disappeared. So I made one out of brass that luckily was exactly the same gauge. I took the opportunity to put the brass all the way out to the other end, thereby strengthening the wheel hub.

Name:  New Ring.JPG
Size:  651.4 KB

There were tiny nuts and washers that Eduard wanted me to glue on the pivot ends of the oleo links. I actually tried to put these on. They were so small that my very expensive jeweler's tweezers could barely grab them. One actually got stuck under my fingernail. Ultimately, I realized that any detail so small that magnification was needed to see it, wouldn't be missed on the model. You've got to draw the line sometimes.

The last thing I did was add the gear doors. There's a little Eduard folded PE bracket that goes onto the top of the door. Nice little detail...

Name:  Gear Doors.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  1.02 MB

With this done, the hiatus has to begin again. The additional parts for the distillery arrived today and I'll be working on that project until its completion (or when paint is drying).

Okay, dug up my torpedo pictures from the Hornet; these were the various torpedoes they've had on display over the last 10 years or so. The little one on the bench is (I believe) a helicopter-dropped weapon, since early helicopters couldn't carry that much (tbm probably knows more about that than I do):

Name:  P1010035.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  629.7 KB

Name:  P1010036.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  638.2 KB

Name:  P1010037.jpg
Size:  201.7 KB

Name:  P1010038.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  207.7 KB

Name:  P1010039.JPG
Size:  1.00 MB

There's one more photo, but I'll have to post that in a separate entry.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

I'm pretty sure this is the same torpedo that was at the bottom of the magazine in the first pictures, just 5 years later:

Name:  PA240006.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  194.5 KB
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Thanks for the great pics. So they can be green on green, gray on gray, bare metal, and probably one with a red nose like I'm using.

With the torpedo up inside, you'll have to pick up the model to look inside unless I sit it on a mirror which isn't a bad idea since picking this beast up invites disaster.

Thread Information