No announcement yet.

Trumpeter 1:32 Enhanced Avenger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, that one lug on the outer half fits into a pin at the front of the hydraulic cylinder to hold the wing in place. You can see one of the timing check valves down by the lug to control the exact sequence of events so you don't rip anything like the flaps which have a latch to meld the inner with outer half of the flaps. The handle below the cylinder is obviously to open the wings manually which is how I do it till my F-4 Phantom hydraulics expert rebuilds the hydraulic system.

The inner part of the wings is always body color which means dark sea blue or white. The interior green is incorrect.

The ailerons are under hydraulic control.

Comment

The hand lever just disengages the pin? How difficult is it to move the wings against the pistons in the cylinders. Where does the hydraulic fluid go? I assume that in your plane, all the fluid is drained so you can work on everything. Again, these pictures and your experience is what makes writing this stuff every day totally worth the effort. I'm going to post some of these on the other sites, if it's okay with you.

Comment

Yes, the hand lever disengages the pin with a forward tug. To open manually you need one person at the pin, two-three people at the tip of the wing (tall), and then one person at the back where the flaps of the folding wing meet the large flap of the inner wing. Just inside the meeting of those two halves is a catch that locks the two halved together to act as a unit. There is also a hydraulic timing check valve down in there. My left hand side does leak. Anyway that catch must be moved by hand otherwise as the wing comes down, and the two halves want to separate, bad things can happen besides a loud snap. Once all is done in order the wing moves down half way and will remain there. One person can push the wing back and attach the holding cable to the elevator. There is a picture of the wing end on page 2. Picture below is the elevator end.

Hydraulic oil has a reservoir above the pump which is in the back half of the plane under the turret. There is a picture of that on page 1.

By the way did you notice the picture I had of the pilot's left side of the cockpit. Those control dials happen to be half red/half green for the top one, front one also with black dial over, and the inside one is half white/half black. None of them are all red.
        Attached Files

Comment

Continued
          Attached Files

Comment

Continued 2
            Attached Files

Comment

Continued 3
              Attached Files

Comment

ABM: Wing Fold Piping

More great pictures! Some of those small details are in the kit, some are not.

I started piping the fold area. I'm using that micro tubing to fake the fitting. I believe there are some resin plumbing fittings that I saw at the hobby shop. I have to check them out before I get too far into the weeds. But, even so, when painted, it should look reasonably complicated. After all, we're just shooting for the illusion of gadgetry, not a workable product.

The tubing size is ridiculous, and this wasn't the smallest size. The smallest telescopes into this one. For the junction block I actually drilled two cross holes into a one-size larger tube to insert the small tube. All is held with CA. I actually entertained the thought to solder these connections. I held that thought for about 5 milliseconds. I scraped all the molded details which this special chisel from MicroMark.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Piping 01.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	1470344

Name:	Piping 02.JPG
Size:	560.9 KB
ID:	1470345

Comment

TBM: Left Wing Fold Detailed

One of my readers on Fine Scale Modeling Forum (where I'm also posting this simultaneously) claimed that the flaps are hydraulic, but the ailerons were operated by push rod. Is that correct? If not I need you to set him straight.

I finished (as much as I'm going to) putting piping on the left wing joint.

Name:	Detailed Wing Fold Left.jpg
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	1470347

I decided to go with stripped wire insulation from the 24 AWG wiring since the tubes needed to look flexible like hoses and not pipes. I'm going to paint it all dark blue so, even though the color matches the museum version with the red piping.

It took two work sessions to do one joint. The right side should go faster now that I actually know what I'm doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Builder 2010 View Post
                    I'm going to paint it all dark blue so, even though the color matches the museum version with the red piping.
                    First, the museum version is wrong. Those particular lines happen to be fabric covered and are black. I masked them off when painting the plane so they were not contaminated.

Comment

• TBM: Hiatus Announcement

I'll paint them black.

I'll be taking some time off from the TBM project. The laser cut parts for the Bernhiem 1870 Distillery model arrived today and I have to build it for a client. It's going into the Heaven Hill Evan Williams Bourbon Experience here in downtown Louisvile. Here's the photo from which I designed the model, and the one that's sitting on my railroad. While I've covered building the prototype in all its gory details on my other thread on the model railroad build, here's just a quick refresher about it.

The old picture hangs in lobby of Heaven Hill's Lousiville Distillation Plant. It was one of Isaac Bernheim's distilleries and the picture dates from 1870 and existed in Pleasure Ridge Park (a S.W. Louisville suburb) and was razed during Prohibition. We think it's the only extant picture.

Name:	01 Original Berheim Bros Distillery.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1470354

Name:	Distillery Complete 4 sm.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	1470353

Picture was imported into SketchUp where I produced a scaled 3D image. This was then exported to Illustrator to make 3-view working drawings which were then laser cut to make the "kit". Model is mostly MDF, Masonite, thin ply or Laser Board. All the fancy Victorian stonework is layered ply.

The prototype took many months to complete due to working through lots of kinks. This next kit should go togehter much faster based on the number of errors I found and fixed, the reduction in parts count and the use of 1/4" MDF, istead of 3/16 Masonite for the main body. The MDF is smooth on both sides with enabled the bricks to be engraved on both sides eliminating a lot of overlay pieces to add bricks to the back edges of certain parts.

One change I'm contemplating is to paint and grout the laser-engraved bricks while the walls are still flat and unassembled. It's much easier to squeegee all the excess joint compound with flat walls, instead of trying to scrap it out of inside corners.

The laser cutting is being done by River Leaf Models. I'm in discussion with them about the possibilities of offering the Bernheim Distillery as a kit in their line up. Once you have correct drawings, it doesn't matter whether you make one or one hundred copies on the laser. It's all variable cost.

A multi-part article on its design and construction is being published in the next issues of Railroad Model Craftsman.
                      Last edited by Builder 2010; 26 Jan 17,, 01:01.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        Continued
                        TBM

In the first photo the hole located between the star and the bar. It looks like a hole we have on our Tora Tora Tora Kate which is T-6/SNJ with a couple of fuselage plugs and the tail of a BT-13. To lift the tail MX thread a steel rod through the holes in the fuselage and lift with jack, hoist or any anybody foolish enough to be in the vicinity. Is that the what the hole is for?

Comment

• TBM: Hiatus on the Hiatus

Well... there's a slight hiatus on the Avenger Hiatus. A couple parts of the Distillery needed to be re-cut due to some minor errors I made on the drawings so I had another day to work on the Avenger and got the other wing joint piped. Took much less time to do the right hand wing joint than the left due to that wonderful learning curve and actually knowing what I was doing.

This time I drilled and installed the micro pipe fittings before joining it to the joint.

Name:	Lock Cylinder CU.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	1470371

Then, when I went to install it, I realized that I drilled the holes on the wrong side of the cylinder. So I cut off the mounting lug and glued it in correctly. Without the lug, the joint was weak, but with medium CA in the slot, secured it well enough.

The brass wire I'm using for the hydraulics is from a wire net wrapped around bottles of Rioja Spanish red wine. When I removed those nets, I immediately realized that this was a nice small guage brass that had modeling usage. I was right. It's a bit tougher than copper wire of the same guage and less difficult than the guitar string.

Here is an intermediate shot showing the early piping.

Name:	IMG_6038.jpg
Size:	640.0 KB
ID:	1470372

And now with the rubber hoses added to the metal piping.

Name:	IMG_6039.jpg
Size:	553.3 KB
ID:	1470373

And here are both wing joints ready to be installed and painted.

Name:	IMG_6040.JPG
Size:	731.0 KB
ID:	1470374

So with this done, and the new distillery parts expected next week some time, I may or may not contiue working on the Avenger. If I can, I will post the results.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazed View Post
                            TBM

In the first photo the hole located between the star and the bar. It looks like a hole we have on our Tora Tora Tora Kate which is T-6/SNJ with a couple of fuselage plugs and the tail of a BT-13. To lift the tail MX thread a steel rod through the holes in the fuselage and lift with jack, hoist or any anybody foolish enough to be in the vicinity. Is that the what the hole is for?
                            To lift the tail only, one positions a 1 1/2 inch steel tube, through the lift hole you see at the rear until it sticks out two feet on either side. Then slip on padded hoisting hooks onto the tube on each side, close to the fuselage and then lift.

Comment

• Originally posted by Builder 2010 View Post
                              One of my readers on Fine Scale Modeling Forum (where I'm also posting this simultaneously) claimed that the flaps are hydraulic, but the ailerons were operated by push rod. Is that correct? If not I need you to set him straight.

Ok, flaps are hydraulic. Ailerons use several pushrods with a bellcrank. The pulley system used is pretty much hidden behind the wing hinge rod. Aileron tabs used a flexible shaft and are controlled by a round dial on the control panel to the left of the pilot.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by tbm3fan; 29 Jan 17,, 05:00.

Comment

• Saturday Work

That's a good diagram. It really shows the construction of that middle bracket that supports the ends of the pushrods. So... pulleys not hydraulics. Is any of that handbook available on line... cheap?

Another rare Saturday work session and I finished up the inner wing PE. I was then able to attach the two lower wing sections together with the newly piped hinge assembly. Well look at that. I was able to upload directly. It was right in front of my eyes. I was always looking at the icon bar for the insert and not at that big (upload) box at the bottom.

The placing of the PE was certainly easier this second time around. Isn't it always? Notice the tiny little PE bracket with a PE gear-looking thing and a brass rod. Don't know what it's for, but it certainly took more time to install than it was worth. Sometimes this really little stuff drives me nuts.

Name:	PE Inner Wing.jpg
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	1470378

The lower halves of the wings are joined through the hinge pieces. It has enough gluing surface to be pretty secure. I moved it back and forth and with the new bushings is very stable and works well.

Name:	Wing Fold Attached.jpg
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	1470379

You can see how the fold brings the flaps very close together. One of the timing valves is to ensure that the flaps clear one another so they don't be broken when the wing swings by.

Next up was creating and positioning the flap hinges. This time I attempted to medium CA the PE hinges into their slots since I now know that closing the wing on top isn't dependable enough to hold the hinges in place.

Name:	Slat Hinge.jpg
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	1470380

Lastly, I positioned the 50. cal in its spot to see how it all fits and to determine what should be painted and what should be ignored. I will leave some parts unpainted that will be completely obscured when the wings are glued together.

Name:	50 Cal position.jpg
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	1470381

Since the replacement parts for the distillery won't be here until late next week, I will get some more TBM work done. At the rate the assembly's going, I might get ready for paint by the end of next week. There's more PE brackets going on the fold area of the upper wing half, but since I'm get better at it, shouldn't take too long (famous last words...). The landing gear have Eduard PE brake lines, but I'm thinking that I will use iron wire which is much easier to handle and less brittle. PE simulating wire is much worse than wire simulating wire.

Comment

Working...
                                X