Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marine veterans sentenced for brutally beating man who had an affair with one of thei

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine veterans sentenced for brutally beating man who had an affair with one of thei

Could have just been sensible and filed for divorce....

Marine veterans sentenced for brutally beating man who had an affair with one of their wives

By Lindsey Bever

August 30 

3 Marines kidnap, assault man after alleged affair
     

Play Video1:03

Three former Marines were sentenced August 24 for attacking a man who had an affair with a Marine’s wife while he was deployed. The men wore hockey masks to conceal their identities and beat the victim so badly his kidneys failed. (KERO TV)

Norman Early III pulled up to the Southern California house one night in September 2015 and sent a Snapchat message to the woman he went there to see, saying he was parked a short distance away.

The two, who had known each other for several years, had crossed the line between friendship and flirtation while her husband was serving overseas.

The woman responded, “Come in the door is unlocked.”

[A Marine fights to prove he’s innocent of sexual misconduct. Then a lost cellphone is found]

The account from court documents reads like the start of slasher movie.

Minutes after midnight on Sept. 20, 2015, Early walked into the modest corner house with a white iron fence and concrete pillars.

It was her husband, however, who was using her cellphone to talk to him.

Almost simultaneously, Early later told police, a car alarm started to scream and he saw a man running toward him, according to a criminal complaint filed in the case.

He slammed the front door, locked it and turned around, and there stood three Marines.

The men, wearing Jason Voorhees-style hockey masks, started to punch, kick and push him to the ground, according to the court documents.

Early later told police that he struggled to fight but that his assailants pinned him down on his stomach and zip-tied his wrists, then continued to punch and kick him in his face and body. He said he tried to shout but they stuffed a sock into his mouth and sealed it with tape. He said they wrapped a belt around his neck so tightly he almost passed out.

[Military hazing is often horrifying — and the Pentagon has no idea how often it happens]

The three men had one question: “Did you know she was married?”

“She told me she was separated and getting a divorce,” Early said he told the men, according to the court documents.

Early told them that he “loved” the woman and that although he had never had sex with her, the two had been romantically involved.

He said they taunted him, shouting, “You think you are better than us,” and held him captive for about 30 minutes.

One of the men walked to Early’s car where he kept a BB gun, he said. He said the men then pointed an object that felt like the barrel of a gun to his head and told him, “We are going to kill you with your own gun.”

Court records state that the men stole Early’s wallet and cellphone, warned him not to go to police and then let him leave, but followed him to the highway. Early got off the highway, pulled into a 7-Eleven and pushed his vehicle’s OnStar button to request emergency help.

[Opinion: I was a military wife for 13 years. I won’t do it again.]

Lance Cpl. Sergio Medina, stationed at the Marine base in Twentynine Palms, Calif., had discovered that his wife, Diana Reyes, had kissed Early while Medina was deployed overseas, according to court records.

So while he was on leave last year, he called on his Marine buddies and apparently decided to teach Early a lesson.

Authorities said Early sustained an orbital fracture and that his eye was bruised and swollen shut. They also said he had numerous contusions to his head and body and marks around his neck and his wrists.

During his recovery, doctors said, his kidneys failed and he was put on dialysis, according to ABC affiliate KERO.

“I knew what my fate was,” Early told the court, according to the Bakersfield Californian. “I was going to be murdered.”

Twenty-two-year-old Medina and his friends Lance Cpl. Rodrigo Sanchez and Lance Cpl. Leonardo Ortiz, both 21, were sentenced Wednesday for robbery in concert — Medina receiving a six-year term and Sanchez and Ortiz a three-year term each.

Officials said the men have been discharged from the Marine Corps.

[Male on male sexual assault in the military: Overlooked and hard to fix, investigation finds]

The Bakersfield Californian reported that the men were initially charged with several felonies, including attempted murder and kidnapping and torture. But, it said, the attempted-murder and kidnapping charges were dismissed during the preliminary hearing, and the prosecutor in the case worried he would not be able to get an entire jury to convict the men of torture, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

At the same time, the defense worried the jury might do just that. Over the summer, lawyers accepted a plea deal for first-degree robbery.

Prosecutor Brad Taconi said the men received a sentence similar to the one he suspects they would have gotten had the case gone to trial.

“It was a stupid decision by the three Marines,” he told The Washington Post last week about the beating. “They had everything going for them, and to let something like this derail them from their career — to put Mr. Early through this for no gain — was just stupid.”

He said they “more or less changed the path of their lives, changed the path of their families’ lives and changed the path of the victim’s life.”

But Medina’s attorney, H.A. Sala, said that Early had merely been “punched” by an angry husband with help from buddies who had his back.

“From one perspective, this man got what was coming to him,” Sala told The Post last week, referring to Early. “He knew he was having an affair with the wife of a Marine who was deployed fighting for his country oversees.”

It’s no secret that military marriages can be hard, but Pentagon statistics show that for that past six years, the divorce rate has been declining, hitting an even 3 percent in 2015, according to Military.com.

The civilian divorce rate is 3.2 per 1,000 people, according to recent figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

[How my husband’s deployment has strengthened our marriage]

Early told police he met Reyes in 2012 and that the two had seen each other many times since then but had not had sexual intercourse, according to court documents.

The defense claimed Reyes had tried to end it but that Early continued to pursue her; she then told her husband about it and he arranged a meeting under false pretenses, according to the Bakersfield Californian.

Medina admitted to police that he posed as his wife on Snapchat to lure Early to the home, where he restrained Early and questioned him about the affair.

Reyes told police that Medina asked her to wait in a back bedroom, where she said she listened to Early’s beating, according to the records.

Sanchez’s attorney, Kyle Humphrey, told the Bakersfield Californian that although the three men were in the wrong, Early was not without blame.

“You don’t want to be sniffing around another man’s wife,” he said.

Attorney Richard Middlebrook, who represented Ortiz, told the newspaper that it was never the men’s intention to cause Early any real or lasting harm, but that the former Marines’ training kicked in during the interrogation.

“They come back from seeing some pretty crappy things,” Middlebrook said, “and there’s no process to get them accustomed to what’s normal and what’s not any longer.”

The prosecutor said Early has since returned home to his family in California and is working to finish school so that he can join the military.

An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the civilian divorce rate. It has been updated
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...heckpoint_2_na
    Last edited by troung; 01 Nov 16,, 13:42.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poet...h_soldier.html

Now, if you must marry, take care she is old --
    A troop-sergeant's widow's the nicest I'm told,
    For beauty won't help if your rations is cold,
    Nor love ain't enough for a soldier.
    'Nough, 'nough, 'nough for a soldier . . .

If the wife should go wrong with a comrade, be loath
    To shoot when you catch 'em -- you'll swing, on my oath! --
    Make 'im take 'er and keep 'er: that's Hell for them both,
    An' you're shut o' the curse of a soldier.
    Curse, curse, curse of a soldier . . .
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

3 Of them , tut tut , one on one is the norm , if hubby cant do it , his reg big boy mate could have helped him , cash backhander , job done , it happpens all to often in military circles , hubbies away , slut will play , and usually its the friend har,har of the soldier ? but how did his " wifey " fare in all this , after all , SHE is the main one at fault here . Thats only on the face of it , of course I/we dont know what behind the scenes drove her to adultery ? however there is no excuse especially with divorce easy these days . And yes it works both ways when hubbies away , they can also be errrrrrr , randy .

But 3 of them ppfffttttttt ,, noooooooo way hose A .
      Last edited by tankie; 01 Nov 16,, 17:46.

Comment

Aint that the truth . Strange Kiplings poem mentions A/Gs plains ,,,,, we are still fkin there .
        Last edited by tankie; 01 Nov 16,, 17:55.

Comment

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
          And the women come out to cut up what remains,
          To Tankie's point, this is the stanza which has stuck for me for years....

Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
          An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.
          Go, go, go like a soldier,
          So-oldier of the Queen!
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

actually what's stuck with me for years is the first half of the poem-- it sounds like every friggin' safety brief i've had the displeasure of sitting through!!
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

^^^^^
              Like very much
              Mark Twain

Comment

SALUTE

He was getting old and paunchy
                And his hair was falling fast,
                And he sat around the Legion,
                Telling stories of the past.

Of a war that he once fought in
                And the deeds that he had done,
                In his exploits with his buddies;
                They were heroes, every one.

And 'tho sometimes to his neighbors
                His tales became a joke,
                All his buddies listened quietly
                For they knew where of he spoke.

But we'll hear his tales no longer,
                For ol' Bob has passed away,
                And the world's a little poorer
                For a Soldier died today.

He won't be mourned by many,
                Just his children and his wife.
                For he lived an ordinary,
                Very quiet sort of life.

He held a job and raised a family,
                Going quietly on his way;
                And the world won't note his passing,
                'Tho a Soldier died today.

When politicians leave this earth,
                Their bodies lie in state,
                While thousands note their passing,
                And proclaim that they were great.

Papers tell of their life stories
                From the time that they were young
                But the passing of a Soldier
                Goes unnoticed, and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution
                To the welfare of our land,
                Some jerk who breaks his promise
                And cons his fellow man?

Or the ordinary fellow
                Who in times of war and strife,
                Goes off to serve his country
                And offers up his life?

The politician's stipend
                And the style in which he lives,
                Are often disproportionate,
                To the service that he gives.

While the ordinary Soldier,
                Who offered up his all,
                Is paid off with a medal
                And perhaps a pension, small.

It is not the politicians
                With their compromise and ploys,
                Who won for us the freedom
                That our country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger,
                With your enemies at hand,
                Would you really want some cop-out,
                With his ever waffling stand?

Or would you want a Soldier--
                His home, his country, his kin,
                Just a common Soldier,
                Who would fight until the end.

He was just a common Soldier,
                And his ranks are growing thin,
                But his presence should remind us
                We may need his like again.

For when countries are in conflict,
                We find the Soldier's part
                Is to clean up all the troubles
                That the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honor
                While he's here to hear the praise,
                Then at least let's give him homage
                At the ending of his days.

Perhaps just a simple headline
                In the paper that might say:

"OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING,
                A SOLDIER DIED TODAY.

Comment

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
                  The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
                  The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
                  I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
                  O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
                  But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
                  The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
                  O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

Comment

Originally posted by JCT View Post
                    I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
                    The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
                    The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
                    I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
                    O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
                    But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
                    The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
                    O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

nice /\

Click image for larger version

Name:	14938153_1160818577335782_5331464814629851797_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1469660

Comment

I'm sure these guys have some reserve time left on their contract. Need to recall them to active duty and give the dumbasses a bit of brig time and a Big Chicken Dinner to go with their State time.

Low life Pieces of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                        I'm sure these guys have some reserve time left on their contract. Need to recall them to active duty and give the dumbasses a bit of brig time and a Big Chicken Dinner to go with their State time.

Low life Pieces of crap.
                        Couldn't agree more, Gunny
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X