Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HMS Illustrious

HMS Illustrious

HMS Illustrious UKs last working aircraft carrier set sail today to be scrapped , in Turkey , surely this is madness , nothing left to train on now ,c,mon Argentina , invade now its all yours, malvinas , lets just sing Rule Brittania ,,but there again ,,,,why fkin bother .

Senior Contributor
    Not exactly like there's "nothing left to train on". HMS Queen Elizabeth is already in her sea trials, which she'll finish up in May for handover to the Navy.

Of course then again there are currently more carriers than carrier-capable aircraft in service anyway, and that has been the case for the last six years...

Empire building .....

Quote Originally Posted by kato View Post
    Not exactly like there's "nothing left to train on". HMS Queen Elizabeth is already in her sea trials, which she'll finish up in May for handover to the Navy.

Of course then again there are currently more carriers than carrier-capable aircraft in service anyway, and that has been the case for the last six years...
    With due respect to the RN and all that serve, the Fleet has been in slow decline since WWII. The new QE is a glimmer of hope to hold high the long standards and traditions of the RN.

Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    With due respect to the RN and all that serve, the Fleet has been in slow decline since WWII. The new QE is a glimmer of hope to hold high the long standards and traditions of the RN.
    And no CATOBAR.

Great I'm feeling much better now ,thanks

You do not use a brand new veh of any sort in the UK military to train on , we train to do the job on vehicles which are not in service ,or in the navy , a land based ship / boat , then when the trade is learned we then get posted to units to carry out our training , HMS Q/E is not in service as yet , true when in service familiarisation of its inventory will be carried out , Illustious is our last carrier after Ark Royal got scrapped , we used to put the plates after scrapping on our tank ranges as targets , so the only reason i can fathom why Turkey is scrapping it , is ,it must be full of hazardous materials , which the UK cant have the facilities for it ,,Kerem ,,dont go near it bud lol
    Last edited by tankie; 09 Dec 16, at 05:53.

Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    True , the slow decimation of our armed forces , due to IMO the fact that we were to be part of the EU forces . Have to wait n see how this pans out now .

I reckon even Horatio wouldnt have turned a blind eye to it tho .

EU evolves slowly .....

The recent change in the political landscape relating to the impact on the military forces, and most notability the RN, will take many months if not a decade to sort out the proper response to GB leaving the EU. Interesting times ahead for all that serve the Queen in uniform.
    Last edited by blidgepump; 09 Dec 16, at 05:19.

Indeed .

Banned Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by tankie View Post
    HMS Illustrious UKs last working aircraft carrier set sail today to be scrapped , in Turkey , surely this is madness , nothing left to train on now ,c,mon Argentina , invade now its all yours, malvinas , lets just sing Rule Brittania ,,but there again ,,,,why fkin bother .
    Taken that Argentina is very close to the Falklands, But it doesn't have the equipment or armaments to mount a successful amphibious invasion of the Falklands. It's air-force is obsolete, it hasn't got the Naval capacity in equipment or Marines. Argentina's armed forces are primarily financed to secure its own borders. It lacks any meaningful offensive projection.
    RN is a shadow of its former self...but apart from the US Navy, which other Navies are as modern or capable?

Toby , I was being a tad sarky .ref invasion lol

Quote Originally Posted by tankie View Post
    Toby , I was being a tad sarky .ref invasion lol
    ,ah right...miss that one..lol

Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    RN is a shadow of its former self...but apart from the US Navy, which other Navies are as modern or capable?
    Off the top of my head, France, Japan, Italy, ROK. I can keep going if you like. At least you still have SSBNs (for now)
    Human Scum. Proud Never Trumper

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Off the top of my head, France, Japan, Italy, ROK. I can keep going if you like. At least you still have SSBNs (for now)
    Cheers G/G , that makes me feel sooooooooooooo much better ,lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Off the top of my head, France, Japan, Italy, ROK. I can keep going if you like.
    Yeh keep going and while you're at it remind me of their last major naval engagement or amphibious assualt...

At least you still have SSBNs (for now)
    We've started building the new fleet of SSBN's..First one is now being built

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/the-equi...uccessor-class

Thread Information