Russian Carrier Kuznetsov 2016 Deployment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
    Perhaps I'm overreaching in the thought process .... but when you travel ( i.e. take the fleet to sea...) isn't there a travel officer who arranges such things... ????
    Normally arranged before you start out via Foreign Ministry and presumably they had a previous 'OK' from the Spanish and relying on their previous welcome in Valetta still thought they had an Option B. It just got too 'publicly acceptable' for the Spanish and Maltese to be seen to have anything to do with it. Moscow (of course) says that it has everything it needs but I would guess they had few frantic phone calls. Chances are it won't make it back north without an overhaul of the evident engine problem so yea probably park up in Tartus - which they plan to expand.
    Last edited by snapper; 28 Oct 16,, 19:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      On Twitter I saw a photo similar to this and saying it was heading out for refueling the Kuznetsov...

[ATTACH]42428[/ATTACH]

Tee Hee
      Refuel an Aircraft Carrier with COAL? All modern non-nuclear ships use either bunker oil (if conventionally steam powered) for the boilers or Navy Distillate (Diesel Fuel Marine). We even converted the steam boiler powered Iowa class Battleships to run on DFM. Our Destroyers and Cruisers now run on Gas Turbines that usually use DFM. I say usually because a gas turbine will run on anything that can burn and (with powered aeration) even banana oil.

Bunker oil powered ships are normally non-smokers IF all maintenance procedures are done correctly and replacements of worn out or damaged parts quickly replaced. The smoke is prevented from forming by the Forced Draft Blowers that (sort of) atomize the dark carbon dust and the most you would see is a thin white cloud (mostly of steam) drifting away very fast toward the aft end of the ship.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
        Refuel an Aircraft Carrier with COAL?
        Judging by those pictures of the Kuznetsov...yes, definitely coal!
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          Judging by those pictures of the Kuznetsov...yes, definitely coal!
          So, how many Russian seamen does it take to shovel that coal into the boiler?
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Rickover's view from the great Officer's club in the sky ....

[QUOHyman GeorgeTE=Stitch;1015304]So, how many Russian seamen does it take to shovel that coal into the boiler?[/QUOTE]QUO

Hyman George must be slapping Winston Churchill's back at the officers club telling the story about the Russians fuel problems....

"Russia's Dilapidated Aircraft Carrier Keeps Getting Banned From Ports"

the story line...

Russia's only aircraft carrier, the Admiral Flota Sovetskogo Soyuza Kuznetsov, has set sail for Syria. The vessel is leaving a long and unhealthy trail of smoke in its wake.

Moscow's symbol of power projection is old and in danger of breaking down as it make its way from the North Sea to the Mediterranean. The Russians have also discovered that this smoldering boat and her naval task force are unwelcome, as port after port along its route refuses entry now that human rights organizations and governments worldwide have accused the Russian government of war crimes. Source- [why Popular Mechanics ... of course]
            Attached Files
            Last edited by blidgepump; 30 Oct 16,, 02:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
              So, how many Russian seamen does it take to shovel that coal into the boiler?
              All of them
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Kuznetsov is now apparently under tow.

Comment

Yikes.... can the tugs tow the carrier fast enough to launch Migs?

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                    Refuel an Aircraft Carrier with COAL? All modern non-nuclear ships use either bunker oil (if conventionally steam powered) for the boilers or Navy Distillate (Diesel Fuel Marine). We even converted the steam boiler powered Iowa class Battleships to run on DFM. Our Destroyers and Cruisers now run on Gas Turbines that usually use DFM. I say usually because a gas turbine will run on anything that can burn and (with powered aeration) even banana oil.

Bunker oil powered ships are normally non-smokers IF all maintenance procedures are done correctly and replacements of worn out or damaged parts quickly replaced. The smoke is prevented from forming by the Forced Draft Blowers that (sort of) atomize the dark carbon dust and the most you would see is a thin white cloud (mostly of steam) drifting away very fast toward the aft end of the ship.
                    Rusty...I assume you knew it was a joke

But it does remind me of this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	USS SAble.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	680.5 KB
ID:	1469641
                    Last edited by Albany Rifles; 03 Nov 16,, 19:33.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      Rusty...I assume you knew it was a joke
                      My good sir, I refer you to reason number 7 in my "17 reasons why I love the WAB" thread. :)

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                        Kuznetsov is now apparently under tow.
                        Looks like a hoax/photoshop. Reddit Thread

Comment

Understatement....

Don't you see the error?

The governor in the engine room has failed thus creating a runaway "Flank Ahead" condition.
                          Thus, the "tug" is a dynamic brake to prevent another "urban legend crisis".
                          Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to submit this understated response.... ;^)

Comment

Russia loses 2nd Su 33 in a month during carrier ops off Syria!

Saw a media article reporting that a Su 33 returning from air ops over Syria crashed while attempting to land due to arrester cable failure. Apparently the pilot was able to eject safely and was recovered unharmed.

The same report also said another Su 33 was lost earlier after it ran out of fuel (again returning from a mission) while waiting for flight deck crew to repair another broken arrester cable.

Is it just me or are the Russians doing it wrong? I know they have limited experience with carrier ops but should they really be suffering from this kind of loss rate even allowing for the increased tempo of combat operations?
                            Last edited by Monash; 06 Dec 16,, 08:18.
                            If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

The first one was reported as MiG-29K.
                              Bear in mind, it's first time Russian naval aviation is actually used
                              We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
                                The first one was reported as MiG-29K.
                                Bear in mind, it's first time Russian naval aviation is actually used
                                Pretty much this. They are learning the hard way how dangerous naval air is. This article mentions a broken arresting cable gear on landing.

Comment

Working...
                                X