X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Carrier Kuznetsov 2016 Deployment

Russian Aircraft Carrier Smokes Through English Channel

BRENDAN MCGARRY OCTOBER 21, 2016
    The Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov transited the English Channel on Friday en route to Syria.

Likely envisioned as the latest display of Russian power projection, the move appears to have backfired.

Photos and videos captured by international media showed the vessel billowing large plumes of black smoke, drawing jokes on social media that the steam-powered ship was actually a 19th century relic fueled by coal.

The Russian aircraft carrier, its flagship, is making its first combat deployment, cruising to the eastern Mediterranean Sea to launch airstrikes in Syria, where Russia supports the regime of President Bashar al-Assad in the five-year-old civil war.

The U.S. has also deployed aircraft and special operations forces to the fight in Syria to support rebels who oppose Assad and militants affiliated with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, or ISIS.

Naval enthusiasts on Twitter couldn’t resist commenting on what could be wrong with the Kuznetsov, with one observer, Mark Best, saying the excessive smoke could be the result of water in the fuel or partially burned fuel, among other factors.

cdrsalamander @cdrsalamander
    On a serious note; any former CHENG want 2 weigh in on what nightmare their Russian counterpart is facing right now?

Mark Best @navy_nuke_lc
    1. water in the fuel. 2. casing leaks in the boiler or uptakes. 3. bad or dirty atomizers 4.unburned fuel in boiler DANGER

“One can only hope that the technicians in the plants aren’t dying of carbon monoxide poisoning,” he wrote in another Tweet.

The angled-deck ship, commissioned in 1990, was to carry about 25 fixed wing and rotary aircraft, including about 10 fighter jets such as the Sukhoi Su-33 (known as the Flanker D in NATO parlance) and Mikoyan MiG-29K/KUB twin-engine fighters and about 15 attack helicopters such as the Kamov Ka-52K, Ka-27 and Ka-31, according to previous Russian news reports.

The ship’s crew was to coordinate the airstrikes with colleagues at Russia’s Hmeymim air base in Syria south of the port city of Latakia in the eastern part of the country, according to TASS. The ship is currently undergoing trials in the Barents Sea after repairs, it reported. Link

NATO intelligence officers and naval engineers have to be having a field day with this one, whilst SAR crews are warily checking on their rescue gear.

I dearly wish desertswo was still with us for commentary. :-(

Place your bets ladies and gentlemen....When (not if) will this coal-burning disaster break down?
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

What am I missing here? This vessel brings ten fighters and 15 rotary-wing aircraft to the fight...if KUSNETSOV makes it there at all. Seems they could fly all that down to an airfield in Syria inside of a day. Why this tortured, tedious deployment? Will this vessel ultimately find itself assigned to the Black Sea Fleet because they can't get it home to the Northern Fleet?

Just not sure what the KUSNETSOV brings to the party that couldn't be better-served from a fixed runway.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

He is just waving the flag; poorly.
      An LHD with six AV-8B's can project more power.
      Other than Russia's submarines, their Navy is a complete basket case.

Comment

It would seem that even the Muscovite authorities are a little ashamed of this old carrier since they have been publicising it's journey using pictures of a US and French (I think) carrier group;

Click image for larger version

Name:	CvbKhcDWEAAdkCS.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1469587

Comment

Better to show that pic back home instead of these.

Name:	Russian-Admiral_Kuznetsov-Dover-.jpg
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1469589

Name:	russian cv.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1469588

Watch the video here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ical-problems/

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            Better to show that pic back home instead of these.

[ATTACH]42395[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]42394[/ATTACH]

Watch the video here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ical-problems/
            Well, if that ski-jump nosed carrier is not nuclear powered, then her forced draft blowers need to be replaced.
            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

A good symbol for Muscovy under Putin in general; grubby, polluting, big and bellicose though lacking any great power and probably needs scrapping as it's beyond repair.

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                What am I missing here? This vessel brings ten fighters and 15 rotary-wing aircraft to the fight...if KUSNETSOV makes it there at all. Seems they could fly all that down to an airfield in Syria inside of a day. Why this tortured, tedious deployment? Will this vessel ultimately find itself assigned to the Black Sea Fleet because they can't get it home to the Northern Fleet?

Just not sure what the KUSNETSOV brings to the party that couldn't be better-served from a fixed runway.
                As surfgun said, this is flag-waving. Putin is showing that not only is his land-based air force is a power to be reckoned with, but that Russia can also send a balanced carrier battlegroup long distances to carry out combat missions as well. Flag-waving. Advertisement for Russian naval aviation. It's all about the image.

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                It would seem that even the Muscovite authorities are a little ashamed of this old carrier since they have been publicising it's journey using pictures of a US and French (I think) carrier group
                Yep, two US carriers, John C Stennis and John F Kennedy, Charles de Gaulle and HMS Ocean.

(Note that JFK and Ocean are both conventionally-power ships...see all the smoke pouring out them? :-D)
                Last edited by TopHatter; 24 Oct 16,, 04:26.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

By the way... remember the Mistrals? Guess where they are going now... The Polish Defence Minister alleges that they are being sold (by Egypt to whom France 'sold' them) to Muscovy for $1. The French payed compensation to Moscow for the non delivery so presumably the Egyptians were used as a 'middle man'.
                  Last edited by snapper; 23 Oct 16,, 23:57.

Comment

By the way... remember the Mistrals? Guess where they are going now... The Polish Defence Minister alleges that they are being sold (by Egypt to whom France 'sold' them) to Muscovy for $1. The French payed compensation to Moscow for the non delivery so presumably the Egyptians were used as a 'middle man'.
                    If that is indeed the case, the French should be obliged to put them down (as I would be surprised that if the contracts did not have small print that stated NOT TO BE TRANSFERRED TO RUSSIA!).

Comment

So far only Sputnik news is reporting this in English, and that too just as an allegation by the minister. Any reputable sources for this claim?

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                        So far only Sputnik news is reporting this in English, and that too just as an allegation by the minister. Any reputable sources for this claim?
                        Most I suppose would regard the Polish Minister of Defence as a 'reputable source' though I would not be too hasty on taking his word personally... Macierewicz is known for his love of conspiracy theories. The Egyptians deny it I have heard but admit they intend to buy Muscovite helicopters to use with the ships. The Muscovites naturally deny everything but any word they say has little to no truth value. One additional factor that may be at play here is the recent Polish cancellation of contract for French Airbus made Caracal helicopters which the Frogs are not happy about. Instead the Poles are in talks with Ukraine over a joint helicopter project which of course would be much cheaper and have more local geopolitical implications (http://www.defensenews.com/articles/...ry-helicopters)

Comment

Cheng.....

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          NATO intelligence officers and naval engineers have to be having a field day with this one, whilst SAR crews are warily checking on their rescue gear.

I dearly wish desertswo was still with us for commentary. :-(

Place your bets ladies and gentlemen....When (not if) will this coal-burning disaster break down?
                          The good Captain is smiling ear to ear looking down on this circus.... of this I am sure!

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                            The good Captain is smiling ear to ear looking down on this circus.... of this I am sure!
                            I also wish Desertstwo was still with us. I had the extreme pleasure of piping him aboard the Iowa when he visited the ship a few months before his passing. The info and recommendations he gave our engineering staff was terrific. I also gave him an autographed copy of my book. Unfortunately, he probably did not have enough time to read it all the way through.

But he did tour some of the Russian ships AFTER the Cold War ended and found they are VERY LACKING in damage control equipment. Too few water fittings for fire control, too few triage spaces for wounded, too few this and too few that. He agreed with me (and Admiral Gorshekov) that one 16" hi-cap from an Iowa hitting forward of the superstructure of a Kirov (where all the missile launchers were installed) would turn that ship into a mushroom cloud.
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                              My guess is they'll sail it down to Tartus, and park it there for the duration; not so sure they're very eager to find out if it'll make it home or not.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34...4d35.874?hl=en
                              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
                              X