Why MacArthur was fired: Declassified Congressional testimony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why MacArthur was fired: Declassified Congressional testimony

A very interesting article about why MacArthur was canned, and the American military situation in Korea.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...antopic&no-ist

On a discussion group on Facebook Shek has been talking extensively on this. It's intriguing to follow te discussion amongst professional strategists.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

mack was canned because he was straight talker that gave two shits what people thought of him.

Has to be among the most consequential people whose actions setup the world half a century later.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        mack was canned because he was straight talker that gave two shits what people thought of him.
        MacArthur cared very very much what people thought of him and especially what they read about him. Criticism of MacArthur would bring him down on you like the wrath of an angry god.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          MacArthur cared very very much what people thought of him and especially what they read about him. Criticism of MacArthur would bring him down on you like the wrath of an angry god.
          That's not what i heard here. Though that might have had to do more with his run for president which was unsuccessful. Couldn't pull off an Ike.

Does not matter, the man's place in history is pretty much guaranteed. So he couldn't finish Korea off but i'd be damned if you could find a better man for the job.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 06 Oct 16,, 18:21.

Comment

MacArthur publically complained about his Commander-in-Chief. He publically advocated a strategy that was contrary to the one being pursued by his C-in-C. Seems to me that's sufficient grounds to fire him.

Now we also know that he perjured himself before the Senate by claiming that the Joint Chiefs of Staff supported his position; and by claiming China was fighting “all out.”
            Trust me?
            I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
            X