Arnold Palmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arnold Palmer

passed away today. When I was 4 years old I became aware of the New York Yankees, Mickey Mantle et al, when my Grandfather took me to my first ball game at the house that Ruth built. That was 1958. The next sport I became aware of was golf when my father watched the 1960 US Open, a televised first I believe, and he was following Arnold Palmer. In 1962 I became aware of Johnny Unitas and the Baltimore Colts while in Baltimore. In 1964 I became aware of Cassius Clay beating Sonny Liston. Four unique sports individuals who brought their sport into my line of sight and had me following their careers from that point on. Do need to acknowledge Rod Laver for tennis also before Jimmy. Today I don't watch that much sports anymore as it seems, to me, no one is a real stand out in this day and age.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/25/us/arn...ath/index.html

Proud member of Arnie's Army...Rest In Peace Arnie
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Picked up my father this morning to bring him in for an exam. Vision not that good at 90 and he wants to get a CA license now and give up his AZ license. So we are driving down and we hear some comments on Vin Scully on the radio. My father says do you know that guy is full of shit? How do you know that? Well, I met him 40 years ago and he was full of shit then when talking to him.

Then he tells me a great guy died. Then launches into a story where he met him at O'Hare waiting to board a flight. My father was on a business trip covering one of his territories as boss. His local guy said look there's Arnold and I am going up to say hi. He did and then waved my dad over to meet him where upon Mr. Palmer told them to call him Arnie. They ended up sharing the same flight in first class and talking on the flight.

To top it off he then tells me he and his second wife spotted Jack Nicklaus standing by himself on the street in Carmel. This time my father went up and said hi. Jack asked if they were down for Pebble Beach which they were. Jack then said he was standing where he was since his wife was no doubt shopping in one of the shops somewhere on the street.

You know I believe my father has more stories in his head dating back to WWII yet the only time they come out is when he hears something that jogs his mind. That's how I heard some of his stories about his time in Japan for occupation all the way to Seattle and then Fort Dix for discharge.

He happens to be a long time food salesman starting with Carnation Milk in 1950 so pretty outgoing.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        Picked up my father this morning to bring him in for an exam. Vision not that good at 90 and he wants to get a CA license now and give up his AZ license. So we are driving down and we hear some comments on Vin Scully on the radio. My father says do you know that guy is full of shit? How do you know that? Well, I met him 40 years ago and he was full of shit then when talking to him.

Then he tells me a great guy died. Then launches into a story where he met him at O'Hare waiting to board a flight. My father was on a business trip covering one of his territories as boss. His local guy said look there's Arnold and I am going up to say hi. He did and then waved my dad over to meet him where upon Mr. Palmer told them to call him Arnie. They ended up sharing the same flight in first class and talking on the flight.

To top it off he then tells me he and his second wife spotted Jack Nicklaus standing by himself on the street in Carmel. This time my father went up and said hi. Jack asked if they were down for Pebble Beach which they were. Jack then said he was standing where he was since his wife was no doubt shopping in one of the shops somewhere on the street.

You know I believe my father has more stories in his head dating back to WWII yet the only time they come out is when he hears something that jogs his mind. That's how I heard some of his stories about his time in Japan for occupation all the way to Seattle and then Fort Dix for discharge.

He happens to be a long time food salesman starting with Carnation Milk in 1950 so pretty outgoing.
        Those are great stories. Cherish them.

I lost my Dad at age 72. He only opened up during the last year of his life with me about his time in the Navy in World War 2. I never sat down with him without a pad of paper handy that last year.

He did tell the story of how right before Christmas in 1963 or 1964 he was ducking into Filenes (think a local Macy's) in downtown Boston to get something real quick. Dad could be mission driven. He was moving with a sense of purpose when he noticed a crown in the corridor ahead of him. He excused me, pardon me-ed his way through the crowd and then burst into the open. He saw someone standing there he knew so he threw a quick wave and How you Doing and kept going. He said it was only later as he left the store and was heading for the T that he realized he had busted into a photo shoot and the guy he recognized?

It was Arnie. He was there promoting a new line of clothing. Dad said he always wondered what Arnie thought of this guy busting out of the crowd and basically just barely acknowledging him!
        Mark Twain

Comment

Great stories guys. My dad took up golf in the very early sixties. Helped put in the first (maybe only) golf course at Ft. Irwin. Arnie was his man, followed by Jack and Gary Player. Dad was a top-notch seniors tennis player later but real good all his life. Laver, Newcombe and Ashe were the guys we started following on T.V. when we returned from W. Germany in early 1966. Watched, I believe, Tommy Aaron lose the Masters in 1966 when Roberto De Vacenzo signed his score-card wrong. Great memories all started by guys like Palmer on snowy black & white T.V.s.

T.Vs got better. Not sure the sports have. Most of those guys seemed like real gentlemen.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Well said Steve

This is going to sound weird but I swear the best gentlemen playing a major sport today can be found in the NHL.
            Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X