Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Rusty I need your help

  1. #1
    Contributor Battleship IOWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Dec 13
    Location
    San Pedro, Ca
    Posts
    340

    Rusty I need your help

    Hey Dick, I need your help. I am putting together an exhibit for the new big screen displays in Iowa’s museum space, the ones David Canfield put together, they now show the 360 degree photos of the off tour spaces.
    I am writing the code for a new app that shows an elevation drawing of the Iowa (Actually the Wisconsin, because I don’t have digital Iowa plans) in cutaway view. When our quests mouse over a compartment it will highlight and bring up a text box with a description of the space, we could also play a sound file description or video.
    My problem is the plans are a little hard to read and some of these abbreviations I just don’t know.
    I put yellow circles around the questions I have. I am hoping that you or anyone else out there can help me with this.

    Thanks Craig

    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  1,018.0 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  1.03 MB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  1.03 MB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  341.1 KB
    Craig Johnson

  2. #2
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,863
    SD Storage = Supply Department Storage

    PYRO LKR = Pyrotechnics locker

    Might be a few here but many of those outlined are far newer than the 1936 nomenclature. Still an interesting site for understanding how a ship is broken down section by section. Their knowledge base is very informative with manuals.

    http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/label/index.htm#desc
    Last edited by tbm3fan; 19 Sep 16, at 19:43.

  3. #3
    Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 06
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    6,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
    Hey Dick, I need your help. I am putting together an exhibit for the new big screen displays in Iowa’s museum space, the ones David Canfield put together, they now show the 360 degree photos of the off tour spaces.
    I am writing the code for a new app that shows an elevation drawing of the Iowa (Actually the Wisconsin, because I don’t have digital Iowa plans) in cutaway view. When our quests mouse over a compartment it will highlight and bring up a text box with a description of the space, we could also play a sound file description or video.
    My problem is the plans are a little hard to read and some of these abbreviations I just don’t know.
    I put yellow circles around the questions I have. I am hoping that you or anyone else out there can help me with this.

    Thanks Craig

    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  1,018.0 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  1.03 MB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  1.03 MB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  341.1 KB
    Top profile: AFFF Compartment: Carried AFFF Fire Fighting equipment in case a helo landed too hard and ruptured a fuel tank or two.
    SD Storeroom for Ship's Dry Stores.
    UNA: Unassigned Space. Usually used by crew to stow 1,100 feet of Nylon Double Braided towing line.

    2nd profile down: FO Optical Workshop: Flight Operators (Air Controllers) workshop to clean, repair and/or recalibrate Optical equipment for guiding in Helos or RPVs.
    Faccon Area Number 1: Control station plus maintainance of Foam Fire Fighting equipment in the Main Machinery Spaces.
    IC Repair Shop. Repair of Interior Communications equipment.

    3rd profile down: Rocket Assisted "Torpedo Magazine". Actually not torpedoes but Signal Flares. The other side of that compartment stowed signal floats, balloons, etc.
    Marine's Storeroom. Stowed bulkier items for the ship's 45 Marines where there wasn't enough room in their
    quarters surrounding Barbett III. Particularly Landing Gear.
    WR Storeroom: Wardroom Storeroom.


    Bottom profile: Air and Watertight Compartment Hatch with Quick Acting Scuttle. It led down to the 2nd deck crew's quarters aft and the anchor windlass room and Boatswains work spaces forward.
    Pyro Locker: Stowage of Pyrotechnics such as special signal flares or even Holiday Fireworks shows.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

  4. #4
    Contributor Battleship IOWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Dec 13
    Location
    San Pedro, Ca
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    SD Storage = Supply Department Storage

    PYRO LKR = Pyrotechnics locker

    Might be a few here but many of those outlined are far newer than the 1936 nomenclature. Still an interesting site for understanding how a ship is broken down section by section. Their knowledge base is very informative with manuals.

    http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/label/index.htm#desc
    Thanks tbm3fan


    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    Top profile: AFFF Compartment: Carried AFFF Fire Fighting equipment in case a helo landed too hard and ruptured a fuel tank or two.
    SD Storeroom for Ship's Dry Stores.
    UNA: Unassigned Space. Usually used by crew to stow 1,100 feet of Nylon Double Braided towing line.

    2nd profile down: FO Optical Workshop: Flight Operators (Air Controllers) workshop to clean, repair and/or recalibrate Optical equipment for guiding in Helos or RPVs.
    Faccon Area Number 1: Control station plus maintainance of Foam Fire Fighting equipment in the Main Machinery Spaces.
    IC Repair Shop. Repair of Interior Communications equipment.

    3rd profile down: Rocket Assisted "Torpedo Magazine". Actually not torpedoes but Signal Flares. The other side of that compartment stowed signal floats, balloons, etc.
    Marine's Storeroom. Stowed bulkier items for the ship's 45 Marines where there wasn't enough room in their
    quarters surrounding Barbett III. Particularly Landing Gear.
    WR Storeroom: Wardroom Storeroom.


    Bottom profile: Air and Watertight Compartment Hatch with Quick Acting Scuttle. It led down to the 2nd deck crew's quarters aft and the anchor windlass room and Boatswains work spaces forward.
    Pyro Locker: Stowage of Pyrotechnics such as special signal flares or even Holiday Fireworks shows.
    Thanks Dick this is very helpful. Craig
    Craig Johnson

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Happy B/Day rusty
    By tankie in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 28 Jul 14,, 23:20
  2. Happy Birthday Rusty!
    By Doktor in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 26 Jul 13,, 19:40
  3. A Kayak for Rusty?
    By Admiral Nelson in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16 Mar 13,, 05:51
  4. Question for rusty
    By Stan in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 24 Apr 08,, 05:11

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •