USS Independence (CVL-22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Independence (CVL-22)

A WWII CVL carrier that was present at the Bikini bomb tests and withstood the blasts. Towed to the SF Bay Area in 1951 and then secretly sunk off the Farallone Islands. Just today, August 23rd, she was explored for the first time by submersibles off the E/V Nautilus.

Awesome! My Dad served aboard a sister ship CVL-28 the USS Cabot!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

I saw the USS Cabot as the SPS Dedalo in Rota Spain back in the 80's. She was looking pretty tired by then, the mast had a distinct lean to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        Awesome! My Dad served aboard a sister ship CVL-28 the USS Cabot!
        Glad you liked it. They were actually on it today also and streaming the video back live.

Your Dad was on the Cabot, the ship they royally screwed up as a potential museum?

http://www.nautiluslive.org/album/20...s-independence

Go to MAIN on that web site as they have lots of interesting stuff they have run across.
        Last edited by tbm3fan; 25 Aug 16,, 05:55.

Comment

Your Dad was on the Cabot, the ship they royally screwed up as a potential museum?

Yup. And I remember listening to a piece on NPR in May 2001 which told the story of the Iron Woman (thanks Ernie Pyle!) And I remember balling my eyes out when it played on AFN (I was listening to it in Germany). Dad had died at 312355DEC2000 so this was just 4 months after he died. He went aboard as a 17 year old Seaman Apprentice (Electrician) and finished as an 18 year old Fireman 1st Class working the boiler room.

You can listen to the story through the NPR website but its archived and you have to use Real Media player. I'll try to send from home later.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Cabot in New Orleans....

Interesting that the attempt to create a museum for the USS Cabot failed... , especially in New Orleans.
            With the success of The Kidd in Baton Rouge I would of thought there'd been a higher chance of success.
            Attached Files

Comment

It had more to do with the sloppy management from the group that got the ship than a lack of local enthusiasm.

Comment

Working...
              X