No announcement yet.

2016 Turkish Coup Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In your view, is Turkey still a democracy, or has it turned into an autocracy?
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
      In your view, is Turkey still a democracy, or has it turned into an autocracy?
      again,

everyone knows that i am not in love with erdogan with the slightest bit,

but we are not an autocracy, not yet...
      Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

• Could you elaborate the finer points on what the differences are in the types of Islamism are as professed by Gulen and Erdogan?

From what scant information I know, Gulen seemingly presents himself as some sort of tolerant Sufi type who believes in democracy and co-existence with secularism. Is that all just a sham, that he's a hardline Islamist that cloaks himself with professions of democracy, tolerance, moderation, etc., with the ultimate goal of establishing a hardline Islamist state in Turkey in the end?

What are the differences in the ultimate visions that Erdogan and Gulen have for Turkey?

I missed out on all of many of these sorts of things for a period of about six years when I was just paying scant, superficial attention to world affairs. Kind of been playing catch-up over the last year.

Thank you for the insights you've been providing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
          From what scant information I know, Gulen seemingly presents himself as some sort of tolerant Sufi type who believes in democracy and co-existence with secularism. Is that all just a sham, that he's a hardline Islamist that cloaks himself with professions of democracy, tolerance, moderation, etc., with the ultimate goal of establishing a hardline Islamist state in Turkey in the end?
          One should point out in that context that the self-portrayal of islamism that the Gülen movement presents is marketed differently for each target market. One example commonly cited is apostasy: In Western markets the movement presents a supposed ruling by Gülen that while it is a religious crime, it is up to allah to punish it. For the turkish market the movement follows the turkish islamist mainstream though in that regard while explicitly not publishing their "westernized" version.

Comment

• I'm more aware of how Gulen presents himself to Western audiences - perhaps a better way to frame my question is to ask how he frames his message to Turkish audiences more broadly, and the conservative religious types in Turkey more specifically.

Comment

• Turkey asks Germany to arrest and extradite former PYD co-chair Salih Muslim

Turkey has officially demanded the temporary arrest and extradition of Salih Muslim, the former Syrian Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) co-chair, from Germany, Anadolu Agency reported on March 5.

Muslim was “temporarily detained” in the Czech Republic capital Prague upon Turkey’s request on Feb. 25.

A Czech court on Feb. 27 ruled to release Muslim, prompting a strong reaction from Turkey, which requested the country to extradite him.

Muslim was seen in Germany after he was released by the Czech court.

Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu is set to visit Germany on March 6 and meet his German counterpart Sigmar Gabriel on March 7.
              http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/tur...germany-128245

Comment

• "Seen in Germany" is a funny way to term it.

Salih Muslim does all kind of political activities out of Germany in recent times, from street protests (where he was "seen" after his Turkish-instigated arrest in Prague) to information events with over thirty members of the German parliament attending.

Comment

Working...
                X