2016 Turkish Coup Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    EU is strict about the death penalty. Can't have it and be a member.
    I know this and CNN reported that. But there is no news of Kerry threatening Turkey the NATO seat. If this is true, things are changing at lightning speed the world over.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• "Nato has a requirement with respect of democracy and Nato will measure very carefully what is happening," Kerry said.

https://euobserver.com/foreign/134390

Idiot.To use empty threat.At the same time Putin&Erdogan plan to meet,to ammend old wounds.

And I say it's an empty threat because NATO had ,without problems,plenty of undemocratic regimes in its ranks.Plus almost war between NATO members.
      Last edited by Mihais; 18 Jul 16,, 14:41.
      Those who know don't speak
      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Me being pragmatist,I'd say this Turkish Delight will serve the Motherland to an extent.Them going bad is not to our interest in any case.But at the same time reaffirms Romania and Poland as the only sane and reliable partners for the US&UK(W. Europe can go f... itself).
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• As for Kerry's threat, paywalled video from the WP: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...5b1_story.html

That said : As experienced before with Greece - in a similar situation a couple decades ago - there's no way to kick someone out of NATO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mihais View Post
            Me being pragmatist,I'd say this Turkish Delight will serve the Motherland to an extent.Them going bad is not to our interest in any case.But at the same time reaffirms Romania and Poland as the only sane and reliable partners for the US&UK(W. Europe can go f... itself).
            We need Germany as a staging area.
            Chimo

Comment

• Oh dear ,, something had to give

CRIME It’s WAR – France Just Attacked ISIS and Syria [VIDEO] By AM 50SHARESSHARE TWEET SHARE SHARE CLICK TO COMMENT
              After Nice attack, where 80 people died, France is really MAD!

The French Ministry of Defense just confirmed the massive bombing of Raqqa, the “capital” of Syria, the headquarter of ISIS.

From an Italian website (translated by Google)

The operation was conducted in coordination with US forces. US intelligence has provided information to identify ISIS targets while minimizing innocent damage.

France has dropped 20 bombs in Syria: 12 aircraft have been employed, including 10 fighter jets.

People on social media are going crazy: Destroy them, Kill them one by one, #KillISIS is the new viral hashtag.

The reaction of the French government continues even at home. French Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, said they will start shutting down mosques that preach hate and violence. They will check all the mosques and imams in France.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                We need Germany as a staging area.
                Well, USAFE does. Although most that runs out of Ramstein, Landstuhl etc could just as well be done from CONUS or the UK. The 50k less population would be felt in that rural backwater area, but we'd only need like three weeks to fill it up with Polish and Romanian immigrants again.

Comment

• Deputy mayor of Istanbul shot by a person who entered his office.

Incirlik AB searched.

What I can say is that Turks also don't pick up the phone.They're getting a fait accompli.
                  I don't believe there is any turning back.The op is too big and too well prepared.And it's only beggining.It won't let anyone untouched.It doesn't matter if they are petty bureaucrats or private individuals.If they got on the list,they'll get persecuted.I pretty much expect people to start dissapearing,soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
                    Oh dear ,, something had to give

CRIME It’s WAR – France Just Attacked ISIS and Syria [VIDEO] By AM 50SHARESSHARE TWEET SHARE SHARE CLICK TO COMMENT
                    After Nice attack, where 80 people died, France is really MAD!

The French Ministry of Defense just confirmed the massive bombing of Raqqa, the “capital” of Syria, the headquarter of ISIS.
                    Think this is someone's wet dreams. Nothing on the MSM about an airstrike that's at least 10 hours old.
                    Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                      Think this is someone's wet dreams. Nothing on the MSM about an airstrike that's at least 10 hours old.
                      Yup i saw after nice attacks france retaliates , your correct its from last year , the reporting is wrong

Comment

• Chakos,

Sorry to disappoint but talking about a civil war in Turkey is a clear misunderstanding of its inner dynamics.

But i would love to see them trying. Oh expecting Kurds joining any of these is crazy.

Sir i got a question for you and all others,

Can NATO afford excluding Turkey? i am not chestthumping here, just asking for the sake of the argument
                        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

• Yes,but it would be a way to shitty of a situation.Legalities aside.

Problem isn't exclusion or not.Problem is lack of reliablity.

Comment

• Me being pragmatist,I'd say this Turkish Delight will serve the Motherland to an extent.Them going bad is not to our interest in any case.But at the same time reaffirms Romania and Poland as the only sane and reliable partners for the US&UK(W. Europe can go f... itself).
                            The Turks have retired planes more capable than anything the RoAF has flown. Turkey has twenty times the F-16s in service as Romania hopes to put in service (12 third hand F-16s). Hardly a consolation prize.

If anything that's a reflection on how much the alliance has fallen away. Less a sane and reliable partner than someone wanting protection.

America doesn't mind Islamists all that much anyways.

Turkey Says More Than 6,000 People Have Been Detained After Failed Coup

July 17, 20168:25 AM ET

Joe Ruiz
                            http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...er-failed-coup

Updated at 2:20 p.m. ET on July 18.

Turkey's justice minister says that some 6,000 people have been detained following a failed coup attempt.

That includes some 3,000 military personnel detained in bases around the country, as NPR's Leila Fadel tells Weekend Edition Sunday.

There have been varying official counts of the number of deaths. Turkey's foreign ministry stated over the weekend that the incident killed at least 290 people — more than 100 people involved in the attempted coup and 190 other citizens — and wounded at least 1,400 people. But on Monday, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim put the death toll at about 230 people.
                            Muslim cleric Fetullah Gulen (right) receives a vase from Israel's Chief Rabbi Eliyahu Bakshi Doron during a meeting in Istanbul, Turkey, in 1998. Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday accused Gulen of involvement in a coup attempt, a charge Gulen denied.
                            Parallels
                            Why Is A Cleric In The Poconos Accused Of Fomenting Turkey's Coup Attempt?

The crackdown comes after Friday's failed coup, and Turkey's president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, spoke about a purge while addressing a crowd in Istanbul. "He's saying that this attempt actually was a gift from God, because it gives him an opportunity to clean out the armed forces," Leila reports.

But his critics fear that the failed coup will simply provide a pretext for a crackdown on his opponents, as Leila reports.

Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag says the "cleansing" will continue, and that he expects more people to be detained, Leila adds.

Bozdag also called on the United States to stop protecting Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen, who lives in Pennslyvania and has been accused by Turkey's government of orchestrating the attempted coup.

"The United States will not protect a person who attempted such an event against Turkey," he said.

Gulen has denied any involvement in the coup and criticized military intervention. He was previously an ally of Erdogan before their relationship soured.

In a profile of Gulen, NPR's Greg Myre wrote:
                            Erdogan and Gulen used to be buddies. Both were considered moderate Islamists. Gulen encouraged his many followers to support Erdogan, who in turn helped raise the profile of Gulen, who runs a vast network of Islamic schools worldwide, including more than 100 charter schools in the United States.

Both men benefited from the relationship. But they had a falling out in 2013 over a corruption investigation that targeted Erdogan and some of his closest allies. Erdogan apparently believed Gulen's allies in the judiciary were responsible for the inquiry, and responded by dismissing many in the judicial system considered close to Gulen, a powerful political force in his own right.

In a statement by the U.S. State Department on Saturday, Sec. John Kerry urged the Turkish government to abide by due process and its international obligations as it investigates the attempted coup. He also warned against claiming the United States played any role in the events, and that continued claims were false and would be "harmful to our bilateral relations."

Meanwhile, Turkish citizens took to the streets Saturday evening in support of Erodgan's government. Erdogan encouraged them to continue demonstrating in favor of the government, saying that now is not the time to relax their grip, as Leila reports.

Leila says that while residents were festive and happy that their democracy was safeguarded, there is also a sense of dread and fear over what comes next:

"It's a far cry from the low-flying jets, the explosions, the shootouts on Friday. It's really calm right now. People are out in cafes. There's no gunfire, no sonic booms, but there's also a somberness, a sadness, prayers for the people who died on Friday after the festivities last night, the celebrations of safeguarding democracy.

"So there were a chorus of prayers in the mosques for the dead, and there's also a sense of fear and dread, especially among those who don't support Erdogan. Concern about what comes next after all that happened on Friday."
                            Last edited by troung; 19 Jul 16,, 02:56.
                            To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

• Originally posted by Big K View Post

Can NATO afford excluding Turkey? i am not chestthumping here, just asking for the sake of the argument
                              Let's not jump the gun here. Your country just went through a coup and there was bound to be mass arrests. It's the military and Gulen's supporters. It could very have been Ergodan and his people.

As of right now, Turkey is of no use to anyone. You've just crippled your infrastructures by firing so many police and judges. Until this all settle down, you're effectively out of NATO. We couldn't clear crap with Turkey right now. The officer we talked to one day is arrested the next and the orders he issued countermanded.

But to answer your larger question, there's only one country NATO needs and she isn't in Europe. She's powerful enough to say fuck you to the rest of NATO and carry out a war of conquest without NATO approval.

But if the US says no to NATO, no one dares to question her. The ABM interceptors in Europe comes to mind. Obama unilaterally changed US nuclear response doctrine (and therefore NATO), no one questioned it.

Now that being said, excluding Turkey is going to hurt. No question. The Turkish Army is the dominant force in the region. It guarantees ISIL will not spill over and frankly, it can kill ISIL. Losing that would give ISIL more courage to do more stupid things. The Russians would become bolder and let's face it, their interests will clash with Turkish interests. So, we have to be prepared to accept Russian domination of the region and isolate it.

We rather not but if Turkey is to leave of her own choosing, then these are the scenarios that we're looking at ... and frankly none of them are of vital concern to the US.
                              Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Big K View Post

Uhhhh, doesn't that depend on what exactly NATO is trying to accomplish? I don't see us influencing the Middle East terribly well if the Turks aren't in NATO, but I don't see Russian tanks rolling into the Rhine-Ruhr region either.
                                "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Working...
                                X