No announcement yet.

Bastille Day Terrorist Attack in Nice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bastille Day Terrorist Attack in Nice.

First reports are coming in of a major incident in Nice with a truck apparently being deliberately driven at high speed through crowds watching a fireworks display on the waterfront. Indications at this stage are that more than 70 men women and children have been killed. Terrible news.

The question then becomes how does the West defend itself against this type of attack?
    Last edited by Monash; 15 Jul 16,, 10:12.
    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Well, if I were Donald Trump, I'd know exactly what to do.

Very sad for the French on what is their Independence Day.

Comment

OMG. My prayers for the dead and injured. The madness doesn't stop.

France terror attack: Truck hits Nice on Bastille Day, 80 killed

@Monash - This type of attacks are very difficult to stop.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

A Truck’s Path of Destruction in Nice, France

In Nice, a Vibrant Celebration Gives Way to a Trail of Death

The bodies covered with blanket is a very sad view. Parents, wives, kids waiting for people to come home, cellphone's ringing but no one's picking up. Many lives lost, much more ruined forever. RIP.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Offer condolences, have a moment of silence for the dead, move on.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
          Wash, rinse, repeat.

Month.
          After month.

I'm sick of investing in any emotions of sadness and outrage when our fucking leaders aren't willing to do anything other than create sound bytes.

If Trump were president right now, he would do something stupid and destructive and idiotic.

Can you honestly say the status quo is any better?
          Last edited by YellowFever; 15 Jul 16,, 06:17.

Comment

Nice attack: What we know and don't know

NICE: At least 80 people have been killed after a truck slammed into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille Day in the southern French city of Nice.
            French President Francois Hollande has declared it an "undeniable" terrorist attack.
            Here is what we know about the attack so far:
            1. The large white truck plunged into the crowd at around 11:00pm (2100 GMT) Thursday night as hundreds of people were on Nice's beachfront Promenade des Anglais to watch the fireworks for France's national day.
            2. Christian Estrosi, head of the local region, said guns and "larger weapons" were found in the truck.
            3. Hollande said at least 77 people including children were killed after the truck ploughed two kilometres (1.3 miles) through the crowd, who had just finished watching the firework show.
            4. As rumours swirled online, interior ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet dismissed reports that people had been taken hostage.
            5. The attacker has been shot dead, Hollande said.
            6. He is yet to be named, but the identity papers of a 31-year-old French-Tunisian were found in the truck, according to a police source. The papers indicate the man is a Nice resident.
            7. Prosecutors say the probe will be handled by anti-terrorism investigators. "Investigations are currently underway to establish if the individual acted alone or if he had accomplices who might have fled," Brandet said.
            8. Hollande announced that the state of emergency would be extended by three months and army reservists called up to boost security. The attack comes with France under a state of emergency following the Islamic State attacks in Paris in November that left 130 people dead.
            9. He also said France would strengthen its role in Iraq and Syria, where it is part of the international coalition fighting IS jihadists. He will chair a meeting of top military and security officials later Friday to decide on possible further steps.

What we don't know:
            1 . Who committed the attacks, and why.
            2 .The attack has not been claimed by any group.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
              Offer condolences, have a moment of silence for the dead, move on.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
              Wash, rinse, repeat.

Month.
              After month.

I'm sick of investing in any emotions of sadness and outrage when our fucking leaders aren't willing to do anything other than create sound bytes.

If Trump were president right now, he would do something stupid and destructive and idiotic.

Can you honestly say the status quo is any better?
              I'm not so sure he'd do something stupid. Thus far he's wiped the floor with the Republican lite, the Democrat party and the left media. In this he's reserved his VP nomination pick while Hillary plays Pokemon go and she, the Democrat party and President Obama race bait. Thus far he looks positively presidential in comparison.
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5788175b18c77300b897ff59.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1469035

another child lies dead because of what?.. what? a damn politic game or a so-called religion or for what?

Children are dying because these...

ANYone from ANY country who can even think about killing children should be killed slowly & publicly.

if there is a God, he should really be doing something for this...
                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Another sad and tragically pointless loss of life.

While I am fully aware that conflict is a fact of life, and I have accepted it will not change, no matter who is in charge, or whatever action is taken, I am always deeply affected by events like these.
                  "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

The use of a truck alone is hard to stop without careful forethought, but the presence of heavy weapons on the truck means this was an intelligence failure.

The French police needs to do better in the collection and timely processing of intelligence.

Comment

There are millions of illegal weapons in France.The French police should become God before it can cease failing.Given the circumstances,they're doing an excellent job minimizing the attacks,but they can only postpone the inevitable.While legislation is increasingly in their favor and they get freer hands after any event,overall conditions get worse.

Western leaders decided to create Yugoslavia on greater scale.It will end the same,on greater scale.
                      Those who know don't speak
                      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

CNN is saying one real handgun and a number of bogus rifles and an inert grenade(s). Suspect was evidently previously monitored for criminal weapons violations but not terror-related.

Dunno but any Tunisian suspected of criminal weapons violations in France gets my attention as a possible terror threat. Still, easy after-the-fact to woulda, coulda, shoulda.
                        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Is one among tens,possibly hundreds ,of thousands of guys with the same profile.
                          Those who know don't speak
                          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

No words to describe the pain and loss of innocent lives. Rest in peace. A mindless act which boils my blood
                            It is so. It cant be otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                              Dunno but any Tunisian suspected of criminal weapons violations in France gets my attention as a possible terror threat.
                              ... the guy was just another small-time criminal like literally hundreds of thousands in France - just one that had been caught by police carrying a pistol in the past. It's a very, very broad field, but as has been shown in past attacks over several years now it's the one that islamist radicals primarily find people to recruit in here and there.

As for Tunisians in France (at almost 700,000 people): they make up roughly the same percentage share as Chinese Americans in the USA.

Comment

Working...
                              X