No announcement yet.

Hague Announces Decision on South China Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Give them a bloody nose': Xi Jinping pressed for stronger South China Sea response

Colonel, what drives this line of thinking, or say morale, or maybe stupidity?

I haven't seen these kind of statements from any country except NKorea, Pakistan and China. Upping Nationalistic fervor is one thing, but these type of statements reminds me of school bullies.
    Last edited by Oracle; 01 Aug 16,, 19:09.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      I haven't seen these kind of statements from any country except NKorea, Pakistan and China. Upping Nationalistic fervor is one thing, but these type of statements reminds me of school bullies.
      "Retired Colonels" telling the Navy what to do. That should tell you a whole lot.
      Chimo

Comment

'Give them a bloody nose': Xi Jinping pressed for stronger South China Sea response

Colonel, what drives this line of thinking, or say morale, or maybe stupidity?
        Loss of face from something like the ruling against China's 9-dash line claims is a MUCH bigger deal in High Context societies like you find in East Asia compared to Low Context societies such as the US or Germany.

In places like the Middle East or East Asia, saving face in negotiations can be more important than the actual issue being negotiated.
        Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 01 Aug 16,, 21:45.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
          Loss of face from something like the ruling against China's 9-dash line claims is a MUCH bigger deal in High Context societies like you find in East Asia compared to Low Context societies such as the US or Germany.

In places like the Middle East or East Asia, saving face in negotiations can be more important than the actual issue being negotiated.
          So true. From my experience in Asia, mainly Filipino and Chinese, they both will go to no ends to preserve face before they preserve a deal and this is on a personal level. Imagine that on a national country level.

Comment

It's a lot simpler. This is the first time in Chinese history that they had military think tanks. Retired officers who actually found work outside the military. The fact a "Colonel" and not a Commander nor a Captain is spouting this horse puckey should say a lot. These men are not qualified to comment on naval warfare. But their hawkish attitudes makes them a draw and they get paid to appear on TV.

DF21D? That alone should tell you this is pure horse puckey. No Chinese naval officer had even said this is even a real system.
            Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              "Retired Colonels" telling the Navy what to do. That should tell you a whole lot.
              I was under the impression that they all work together, i.e. after retirement. PLA, PLAAF, PLAN.

In another thread, DCL said that China might take on the Philippines/smaller countries to make a point to other countries surrounding the SCS. Would it not be better to take on India for a better example? The PLA does a blitzkrieg, gains some KMs of Indian territory and then they vacate their positions and move back to peacetime boundary, after other countries urges restraint. They have not fought a war for decades, so isn't this a big low conflict thing(?).
              Last edited by Oracle; 02 Aug 16,, 04:21.
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Chinese AF Colonels or Army Colonels don't know bow from stern. And they pretend to know the Chinese navy can take on the USN?
                Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  Chinese AF Colonels or Army Colonels don't know bow from stern. And they pretend to know the Chinese navy can take on the USN?
                  You missed the 2nd para of my post. LAC is not completely fenced or manned. So?

Comment

You missed the 2nd para of my post. LAC is not completely fenced or manned. So?
                    Can't see it. A Sino-Indo War would actually hurt China economically. Not that Beijing has a soft spot for Dehli but trade means jobs and Chinese jobs are important to the stability of the CCP. Countries like the Philippines don't buy enough from China for the CCP to worry about Chinese jobs.
                    Chimo

Comment

In another thread, DCL said that China might take on the Philippines/smaller countries to make a point to other countries surrounding the SCS.
                      This would be a big departure from their "Peaceful Rise" narrative as well as their recent history of incremental progress in strengthening their position in the SCS. I don't see why they would undertake such a radical departure, when they seem to be successfully changing the situation on the ground without stirring up any real consequences for themselves.

What China does NOT want to do is invite international condemnation, sanctions, or encourage SCS neighbors to put mines in their shipping lanes.
                      Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 02 Aug 16,, 15:53.

Comment

Chinese take it a step further to prosecute trespassers...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/02/asia/s...urt/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                          This would be a big departure from their "Peaceful Rise" narrative as well as their recent history of incremental progress in strengthening their position in the SCS. I don't see why they would undertake such a radical departure, when they seem to be successfully changing the situation on the ground without stirring up any real consequences for themselves.

What China does NOT want to do is invite international condemnation, sanctions, or encourage SCS neighbors to put mines in their shipping lanes.
                          "Peaceful rise", well not fighting a war is not it. Germany, Japan, they can be considered as rising peacefully. China's actions are not peaceful, it is creating tensions. You are right though, they will keep building infrastructure silently in those islands and the nations that have a claim to those would hardly be able to do anything. This cannot be solved diplomatically as China won't give any space, militarily other SCS countries do not stand a chance. China is also building the CPEC with Paks permission on what Pak calls disputed territory, this is the complicit nature of both these countries, on what is essentially Indian land. The world is too big for any single country to dominate, the Chinese need to know that and take lessons from history.

In other news, Army to get steep-dive BrahMos missile regiment for China front

Carrier killers - any cruise missile can hit a carrier, isn't it? 6-7 hits can cripple an A/C. So, why this new fascination? And with regard to Chinese ABM capability, is the Brahmos carrier killer justified, or is it just a propaganda sort of thing to keep the enemy anxious.
                          One more thing, the anti-ship version is already inducted and operational, so what is the need for a carrier killer?
                          Last edited by Oracle; 03 Aug 16,, 04:29.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                            Chinese take it a step further to prosecute trespassers...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/02/asia/s...urt/index.html
                            They have been giving out statements like this even before the Hauge verdict came out. They knew they wouldn't win this case. The question is how? If a US warship passes through the SCS, they will be force feeding noodles? Big talk.
                            Last edited by Oracle; 03 Aug 16,, 04:34.

Comment

They have been giving out statements like this even before the Hauge verdict came out. They knew they wouldn't win this case. The question is how? If a US warship passes through the SCS, they will be force feeding noodles? Big talk.
                              My guess is that this is directed at Vietnam and the Philippines. Filipino fisherman have been continually chased away, or blocked, from fishing within their own 200 mile EEZ by armed Chinese fishing boats.

As far as US Navy ships I would prefer pot stickers.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                                My guess is that this is directed at Vietnam and the Philippines. Filipino fisherman have been continually chased away, or blocked, from fishing within their own 200 mile EEZ by armed Chinese fishing boats.

As far as US Navy ships I would prefer pot stickers.
                                Yes, but you missed out the propaganda part. The Chinese doesn't need to threaten the Philippines or Vietnam anymore than it already has. Or the other claimants of the SCS. This is mostly directed at the USN to stay away, and also at the Japanese and the Australians to not interfere.

I would be mighty pleased if the 2017 Malabar Naval exercises is held at the SCS, with the active participation of Singapore, Australia, Vietnam, Philippines and all other countries who have a claim. That would be the best cost-effective way to teach CCP a lesson. As far as Chinese food is concerned, I'd love a Peking duck marinated in soya sauce overnight, and then honey roasted with garlic, pepper, rock salt and rosemary.

Comment

Working...
                                X