A shocking and tragic turn of events:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/07...s-protest.html

snipers during Dallas protest, chief says
    Published July 07, 2016 FoxNews.com
    Facebook2244 Twitter2204 Email Print

NOW PLAYING
    Protesters run for cover after gunfire begins
    Never autoplay videos
    DEVELOPING: At least four Dallas police officers were killed Thursday after being targeted by two snipers in a downtown parking garage Thursday night during a protest over police shootings of African-Americans.

Fox News confirmed late Thursday that no suspects were in custody, contrary to earlier reports. Dallas Police Chief David Brown told the news conference that police had one suspect "cornered", but made no mention of a second suspect.

Brown confirmed that seven other officers were injured and one civilian was wounded in the shooting. Three of the injured officers were in critical condition and two others were in surgery.

Dallas' public transit agency, DART, confirmed on Twitter that one of its officers was shot and killed, while three of its officers suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Fox4 cameras captured protesters running away from the scene of the shooting shortly before 9 p.m. local time. A cameraman approached the scene and captured officers apparently lying on the ground.

A Fox4 reporter said he heard approximately 10 gunshots downtown. That reporter was told by an officer police were searching for someone with a rifle.

The status of the shooter was not immediately clear. Aerial images showed officers appearing to focus their search on a parking garage.

Witness Carlos Harris told the Dallas Morning News the gunfire was "strategic. It was tap-tap-pause. Tap-tap-pause."

Michael Batista told KDFW the protest march had been "very peaceful" before the shooting started.

Brittany Peete, a demonstrator, told the Associated Press she didn't hear the gunshots, but she "saw people rushing back toward me saying there was an active shooter."
    Peete said she saw a woman trip and nearly get trampled as people ran to get to safety.
    "Everyone just started running," Devante Odom, 21, told The Dallas Morning News. "We lost touch with two of our friends just trying to get out of there."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I'll state the obvious here and I'm sorry for doing so: This is horrible. Dead citizens and now police. The death ,fear and mistrust is mind numbing. Hope no more lives are lost tonight, but according to the news it seems like a cornered gunman is determined to take more officers down with him. :(

Comment

Suspect pictured carrying a weapon turned out to be law abiding citizen exercising 2nd amendment rights. He turned him self in to police and has been cleared.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dallas-p...niper-suspect/

Comment

This is a sad sad day
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I'm disturbing shocked and even more shocked that I'm not surprised.
          Chimo

Comment

Rest in Peace.
            sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              I'm disturbing shocked and even more shocked that I'm not surprised.
              Same. Even more I am shocked from not being surprised that some people justify the shootings.

God bless.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

With one night we have been taken back to the 1960's. This has been a long time coming and I think that many saw this on the horizon. Relations between parts of the black community and law enforcement have been coming to a head and now it has finally happened. The racial undercurrent disharmony can no longer be swept under the rug and be ignored. Either the criminals on both sides are to be dealt with or we will have open warfare on the streets. My hope is that people from all sides see the realities that precipitated this tragedy and find effective ways to ensure similar events do not follow. Not holding my breath though as recent history shows that all sides will jump in their well used ideological trenches and we end up making no headway on the issue. We need to stop kicking the can down the road and meet these issues head on. It is not easy, politically correct, or comfortable, but it is the right thing to do.
                Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

The fvckers had at least some basic CQB training

http://basedheisenberg.tumblr.com/po...n.blogspot.ro/
                  Those who know don't speak
                  He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

the suspected shooter Micah Xavier Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                      With one night we have been taken back to the 1960's. This has been a long time coming and I think that many saw this on the horizon. Relations between parts of the black community and law enforcement have been coming to a head and now it has finally happened. The racial undercurrent disharmony can no longer be swept under the rug and be ignored. Either the criminals on both sides are to be dealt with or we will have open warfare on the streets. My hope is that people from all sides see the realities that precipitated this tragedy and find effective ways to ensure similar events do not follow. Not holding my breath though as recent history shows that all sides will jump in their well used ideological trenches and we end up making no headway on the issue. We need to stop kicking the can down the road and meet these issues head on. It is not easy, politically correct, or comfortable, but it is the right thing to do.
                      Exactly the same thing I was thinking. The 60's again. Watts again. Distrust on both sides.

It was only a matter of time before some decided enough was enough and would strike back. Human nature. You can only be pushed so far before...

Comment

Give the robot a medal.
                        Expert: Dallas PD’s use of bomb robot unprecedented but legal
                        By Sean Collins Walsh
                        Friday, July 8, 2016​

[​IMG]​

The Dallas Police Department’s decision to end a stand-off with the man suspected of killing of five officers by killing him with a bomb-carrying robot was unprecedented but perfectly legal, said Pete Blair, executive director of a nationally recognized police active-shooter training facility in San Marcos.

Officers are permitted to use lethal force when a suspect is threatening lives, Blair said, and there is no restriction on what method of lethal force they use.

“Deadly force is deadly force. So if it reaches that level where you could shoot them, you could use other forms of force just as readily,” said Blair, an associate professor at Texas State University and leader of the Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Center. “If I have a choice between risking the lives of officers with somebody we know has already murdered officers and risking a piece of machinery, I’d rather risk the piece of machinery.”

The explosive employed by Dallas police, a breaching charge, is typically used to blow up doors or barricades to allow police to enter a building or room, Blair said. It is unclear what type of robot was used, but many police departments have robots that are used to defuse bombs or inspect suspicious packages.

Dallas Police Chief David Brown said Friday morning that using the explosive was the only way to end the stand-off without risking the lives of more officers after the suspect, identified as Micah Xavier Johnson, had already killed five and wounded seven.

“We cornered one suspect and we tried to negotiate for several hours. Negotiations broke down. We had an exchange of gunfire with the suspect. We saw no other option but to use our bomb robot and place a device on its extension for it to detonate where the suspect was,” Brown told reporters.

Other policing experts agreed with Blair’s assessment of the decision. The event marked a “new horizon for police technology” but not for the law surrounding police use of force, Seth Stoughton, an assistant professor of law at South Carolina University, told The Atlantic magazine.

“If someone is shooting at the police, the police are, generally speaking, going to be authorized to eliminate that threat by shooting them, or by stabbing them with a knife, or by running them over with a vehicle,” he said. “Once lethal force is justified and appropriate, the method of delivery — I doubt it’s legally relevant.”

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/new....dented-/nrtqb/
                        To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Of course some officers don't have the correct temperament, but statistics show that minorities are safer being confronted by a white police officer than one of Hispanic or black ancestry. That's right a white officer is less likely to use a firearm against a black suspect than a black officer. Black males are about 6% of the population in the USA and kill about 40% of the police officers that are killed by firearms.
                          Not to mention there is a segment of the black population that is filled with anarchists that surround every aspect of their life with chaos and resent any concept of rules and order. So by nature they hate anyone that tries to impose regulations upon them, thus the F' the police mentality.
                          I reiterate that is just a segment, but is the segment that propagates the drama in race relations.

Comment

Of course some officers don't have the correct temperament, but statistics show that minorities are safer being confronted by a white police officer than one of Hispanic or black ancestry. That's right a white officer is less likely to use a firearm against a black suspect than a black officer. Black males are about 6% of the population in the USA and kill about 40% of the police officers that are killed by firearms.
                            Not to mention there is a segment of the black population that is filled with anarchists that surround every aspect of their life with chaos and resent any concept of rules and order. So by nature they hate anyone that tries to impose regulations upon them, thus the F' the police mentality.
                            I reiterate that is just a segment, but is the segment that propagates the drama in race relations.
                            that's quite the extraordinary combination of strange (and poor use of) statistics and blanket statements that you've got there.
                            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

astaralis, may I suggest some light reading for your reading list? The War on Cops.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/15940...eofficiw0c2-20

Comment

Working...
                              X