No announcement yet.

11 Police Officers Shot, 4 killed by sniper at Dallas anti-police protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extremely bad use of statistics. Considering that cops are overwhelmingly white and 99% of all police actions are non-confrontational, parking and speeding tickets, that skewed your use of your statistic into meaningless.
    Chimo

Comment

This is terrible. Rest in peace.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

RIP to the dead.

I came across this pretty comprehensive workup on death by cop. Doesn't favour the black view much.

How bad are police?
        https://imgur.com/gallery/XsKhT
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Motives ?

Comment

Payback.
            Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
              RIP to the dead.

I came across this pretty comprehensive workup on death by cop. Doesn't favour the black view much.

How bad are police?
              https://imgur.com/gallery/XsKhT
              Be very careful when looking at statistics. They can be massage any which way to backup one's point of view. I much prefer the raw numbers when looking at things. One raw number not up there was how many of those killed by police were unarmed?

As for the police, and mind you I have no grudge against them, but I have learned over my life they are no better or worse than the general population. The San Francisco PD and Oakland PD have had ongoing problems with racism in their ranks for years and years to this day. Oakland Raiders comes to mind. Also both departments have had ongoing problems with sex scandals and sexual abuse via their power over prostitution. If I had to put a number on how bad it is I would guess 25-30% should be removed from the forces. One last thing and that is Oakland went through three Chiefs in less than 10 days because of a sex scandal and racist texts. The first Chief to retire was black followed by two white replacements. There is currently no Chief at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                Be very careful when looking at statistics. They can be massage any which way to backup one's point of view. I much prefer the raw numbers when looking at things. One raw number not up there was how many of those killed by police were unarmed?
                It said 9% of 990.
                Ego Numquam

Comment

My quick reading of the feuding literature quickly produces the impression that there isn't even an agreed-upon data set for conducting those statistical analyses. One active commentator on police matters denying systematic racial bias used a website that tracks "officer homicides" by pulling media reports from the net, of which the race of the deceased in 25% of the incidents are unlisted. Another advocacy group saying that black teens are more likely to be shot and killed by the police by a staggering degree uses FBI data, which relies on PD self-reporting, and many jurisdictions had stopped handing those reports to the FBI for years.

In any rate, kind of irrelevant to the murder of Dallas police officers, who were by all accounts keeping order with professional restraint and killed for no good reason by a deranged assassin.
                  All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                  -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                    In any rate, kind of irrelevant to the murder of Dallas police officers, who were by all accounts keeping order with professional restraint and killed for no good reason by a deranged assassin.
                    yeah, that's the tragedy here.

The extremists hijacked the moderate agenda.

Makes the problem worse.

Comment

The surgeon who tried to save the officers. Poignant.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/11/us/emo...ams/index.html

(CNN)Dr. Brian H. Williams, a trauma surgeon at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, was on duty last Thursday night when wounded police officers began to arrive in the ER.

Speaking to CNN's Don Lemon Monday night, he said that the experience has affected him deeply and was like "this this bad movie on an endless loop."

He added: "Going to work has forced me to kind of push it aside temporarily but it continues to break through.

"I'm thinking about the officers and their families and the men that were killed in Baton Rouge and Minnesota last week and I compare my situation to theirs and it's hard for me to focus on myself right now."

Central to the conflict that Williams feels is the experiences he has as both a surgeon and as a black man, and the different reactions that his professional and personal appearances elicit.

"Clearly when I'm at work dressed in my white coat the reactions I get with individuals and the officers I deal with on a daily basis is much different to what I would get outside the hospital in regular clothes and my fear and mild inherent distrust in law enforcement, that goes back to my own personal experiences that I've had in my own personal life as well as hearing the stories from friends and family that look like me, that have had similar experiences," he said.

"You put that all together, that will explain why I feel like I do."

'Going nonstop'

At an earlier press conference, an emotional Williams said he "had been going nonstop" since the shooting and talked about the aftermath of the ambush that killed five officers.
                      Dallas trauma surgeon: This has to stop

"I think about it everyday that I was unable to save those cops when they came here that night," Williams said . "It weighs on my mind constantly. This killing, it has to stop."

"This experience has been very personal for me and a turning point in my life," said Williams, who is African-American. "We routinely care for multiple gunshot victims. But the preceding days of more black men dying at the hands of police officers affected me. I think the reasons are obvious. I fit that demographic of individuals. But I abhor what has been done to these officers and I grieve with their families."

The ambush in Dallas followed the fatal shooting by police of black men in Louisiana and Minnesota.

The black community and the police need to work together, Williams said.

"I understand the anger and the frustration and the distrust of law enforcement, but they are not the problem," Williams said. "The problem is the lack of open discussions about the impact of race relations in this country. Black men dying and being forgotten. People are retaliating against the people who are sworn to defend us. We have to come together. And end all this."

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        The surgeon who tried to save the officers. Poignant.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/11/us/emo...ams/index.html
                        Wow, this guy sounds more presidential then all of our so called "leaders" put together.

Comment

Chicago on the Brink

The growing mayhem is the result of Chicago police officers’ withdrawal from proactive enforcement, making the city a dramatic example of what I have called the “Ferguson effect.” Since the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, in August 2014, the conceit that American policing is lethally racist has dominated the national airwaves and political discourse, from the White House on down. In response, cops in minority neighborhoods in Chicago and other cities around the country are backing off pedestrian stops and public-order policing; criminals are flourishing in the resulting vacuum. (An early and influential Ferguson-effect denier has now changed his mind: in a June 2016 study for the National Institute of Justice, Richard Rosenfeld of the University of Missouri–St. Louis concedes that the 2015 homicide increase in the nation’s large cities was “real and nearly unprecedented.” “The only explanation that gets the timing right is a version of the Ferguson effect,” he told the Guardian.)
                          Continues, but not pretty reading.
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Batton Rouge police killings

A Youtube account operated by Gavin Eugene Long and discovered by The Daily Caller reveals key insight into what might have motivated the 29-year-old black man who killed three Baton Rouge police officers Sunday morning.

Videos on Long’s account show that he was a former Nation of Islam member. He also ranted against “crackers” and made references to Alton Sterling, the black man killed by police in Baton Rouge on July 5.

Other information about Long shows that the Kansas City native, who CBS reported was honorably discharged from the Marines in 2010, went by the name Cosmo Ausar Setepenra.

In one video filmed from Houston and posted to Long’s Youtube account on July 12, the suspected guman discusses being in the Marines and reaching the rank of E-5.
                            Continues

President Obama condemned the killing of three law enforcement officers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana as an "attack on all of us." Obama made his remarks from the White House, just a week after he eulogized five officers murdered in Dallas by another gunman. "I said that killer would not be the last person who tries to make us turn on each other, nor will today's killer," he said, adding, "That's up to us."
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Claimed to be a former member of a racist hate group.

Baton Rouge shooter identified as former marine, reportedly ex-Nation of Islam member
                              Published time: 18 Jul, 2016 01:26
                              Edited time: 18 Jul, 2016 01:30

https://www.rt.com/usa/351780-baton-...er-identified/
                              The killed gunman in the Baton Rouge shooting was identified as Gavin Eugene Long, a former marine and allegedly a former Nation of Islam member. He reportedly carried out the attack on his 29th birthday.

The suspect is said to have been a black male from Kansas City, Missouri. On the day of the attack he reportedly turned 29, CBS News reported.
                              Read more
                              Police officers block off a road after a shooting of police in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S. July 17, 2016 © Joe Penney Baton Rouge shooting: 3 police dead & 3 injured, shooter dead – LA superintendent

Long allegedly left the Marines in 2010 with a rank of a sergeant E-5, after an honorable discharge.

The suspect used the pseudonym of Cosmo Setepenra in his online videos, where he talked about oppression and police protests. In some of the videos he made references to Alton Sterling, the black man who was killed by police in Baton Rouge on July 5.

Other videos also suggest he used to be a Nation of Islam member, which is an African American Islamic religious movement that was founded in Detroit, US.

Long attended the University of Alabama for short time, according to reports.

Other media reports said that he served seven months in Iraq and filed for divorce in 2011.

Baton Rouge shooting LIVE UPDATES

Three police officers were confirmed dead and three were injured in a shooting on Airline Highway near Old Hammond Highway on Sunday in the state capital of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, according to state police superintendent.
                              Boosie Badazz on Baton Rouge Shooting: "Attacks Against Cops Will Continue Until There Is Justice"
                              [Joshua Espinoza]
                              Joshua EspinozaJuly 17, 2016
                              https://www.yahoo.com/music/boosie-b...013345260.html
                              Boosie Badazz says the violence against cops won't stop until officers are punished for killing black citizens.

Boosie Badazz has responded to the deadly police shooting that went down in his hometown of Baton Rouge, La. In a video released on Sunday evening, the rapper insists that the killing of Alton Sterling played a big part in the tragedy, which left three police officers dead.

In a video presented by TMZ, Boosie says many people are angry about the recent instances of police brutality against blacks; but perhaps more infuriating is that the cops are essentially getting away with murder.

“It’s a lot of anger down there, a lot of people are angry down there. Everybody I’m talking to when I call home they mad,” Boosie said in the video. “I don't think it’s going to stop until they really start convicting officers for doing what they do. If they don’t start convicting officers of what they’re doing, it’s just going to keep on escalating.”

Though Boosie says the attacks against cops are inevitable, he says he doesn't believe they're right.

"We've been going through a lot of stuff in Baton Rouge for so long, and this was their time to, I guess, to just express their madness," he said. "But I just tell everybody to calm down and let's just try to find a better way. I don't know the better way, but I just say calm down and try to find a better way."
                              To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Working...
                              X