No announcement yet.

Chilcot report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gulf War II may not have been the best planned and executed operation but it is a lie to claim it was initiated under false pretenses. Saddam violated the terms of the cease fire as already pointed out. Those that claim otherwise do so for political purposes. When it looked like an easy win everyone was onboard but as soon as war weariness became popular politicians saw an opportunity to capitalize.

Unlike Iraq, Afghanistan never had a chance to be successful once the mission changed from toppling the Taliban to nation building.

Comment

Originally posted by Silly Moustache View Post
      I wonder how much the west would have medeld with the region if it wasn't for oil?
      Are you sure the West even got the oil? How much? When?

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post

Deaths on all sides , thousands and thousands and for civvies still going on .

In all fairness even without Blair jumping on the Bush bandwagon it wouldn't have been much different in terms of the carnage in that region.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          Probably the worst foreign policy decision since Tonkin Gulf.
          The only real rationale you can provide for it is the Bush administration determined Saudi actors were the master plotters, we couldn't attack the Saudis because they're our allies and the Bushes are huge friends with them, so they sought to weaken the Saudis and tangentially help their rivals the Iranians by removing Iraq as a Saudi buffer state. Because in the end that's what happened.

I'm probably assigning too much intelligence to things that were largely unintended consequences.

(I personally think the worst foreign policy decision of this enterprise was disbanding the Iraqi Army, combined with us not sending over enough troops for post-war security. There were a lot of decisions made early on almost flippantly that made lives in that region for the locals and the Coalition military hell for many years.)

Comment

Working...
          X