No announcement yet.

Taiwan accidentally launches missile toward China, kills fishing boat captain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taiwan accidentally launches missile toward China, kills fishing boat captain

Taiwan accidentally launches missile toward China, kills fishing boat captain

By Kay Guerrero, CNN

Updated 12:41 PM ET, Fri July 1, 2016

(CNN) — A Taiwanese warship mistakenly launched a supersonic "aircraft carrier killer" missile toward China Friday, hitting a fishing boat and killing the boat's captain in an incident China called "a serious matter."

A spokesman for Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense apologized on behalf of the military.

"The Ministry of National Defense sincerely apologizes for the incident that caused the death of the captain (of the boat) and injured other crew members," Maj. Gen. Chen Chung-Chi said in a news conference. The ministry has also asked the Navy to provide assistance and compensation to the family of the victims.

The deceased captain has been identified as Huang Wen-Chung, the defense ministry confirmed, according to Taiwan Focus, the English-language service of state-run Central News Agency.

Chung-Chi said the missile, the "Hsiung Feng III," ripped through the fishing boat but did not explode.

An investigation into the incident has begun, Chung-Chi added.

China's top official in Taiwan, Zhang Zhijun, said Friday that Taiwan must provide a "responsible explanation" for the launch of the missile, calling it a "serious matter."

Relations between Taiwan -- officially the Republic of China -- and the People's Republic of China have been increasingly tense since the landslide election of Tsai Ing-wen, whose party has traditionally leaned in favor of formal independence from China.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/01/asia/t...ina/index.html

Saw this in Taiwan news this morning. What do you guys think?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Better article here.

Taiwan misfires anti-ship missile, kills 1

Associated Press 5:17 a.m. EDT July 1, 2016

TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan’s military said it mistakenly fired a supersonic anti-ship missile Friday that hit a fishing boat, killing one and injuring three people, on the day rival China was celebrating the Communist Party’s anniversary.

The 500-ton patrol boat Chinchiang was undergoing an inspection inside a military base when the Hsiung Feng III missile was fired and landed about 40 nautical miles (75 kilometers) away in waters off the islands of Penghu near Taiwan, the official Central News Agency said.

The Defense Ministry said the missile penetrated a nearby Taiwanese fishing boat, killing its captain and injuring three crew members.

A preliminary investigation showed that missile operators likely failed to follow proper procedures, CNA said.

A full investigation was under way, while the navy sent a helicopter and boats to search for the missile, the report said.

The firing coincided with Beijing’s celebrations of the 95th anniversary of the founding of the ruling Communist Party. Chinese President Xi Jinping, also the party’s top leader, delivered a speech Friday calling for peaceful development of relations between Beijing and Taipei.

Tensions across the strait have escalated since Tsai Ing-wen of a pro-independence party was elected president earlier this year. Tsai has refused to endorse the concept of a single Chinese nation, and Beijing cut off contact with Taiwan’s liaison office when she was inaugurated in May.

Beijing sees Taiwan as a renegade province after a civil war, although the island has functioned as an independent country and does not acknowledge Beijing’s claim of authority over it.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ls-1/86588458/
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      What do you guys think?
      An accident ?

Comment

A Taiwanese missile accidentally hit a Taiwanese fishing boat. How the hell is the PRC involved?
        Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          A Taiwanese missile accidentally hit a Taiwanese fishing boat. How the hell is the PRC involved?
          and I thought it was just me after reading the entire story to get a clearer picture that it was a Taiwanese fishing boat.

I assume it is just China being China as they also had a fit concerning Lady Gaga.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            I think it was the "toward China" part that freaked them out; they probably saw it on radar and assumed the worst (pre-emptive attack against the mainland).
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
              I think it was the "toward China" part that freaked them out; they probably saw it on radar and assumed the worst (pre-emptive attack against the mainland).
              Because they have, what, like 20k warheads?
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

It was an AShM. The ballistic curve would have told them the thing lacked the range ... or their techs are idiots.

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                Because they have, what, like 20k warheads?
                They have ~1000 conventional missiles aimed at Taiwan.
                Chimo

Comment

I was saying it's not like Taipei has 20k warheads pointed at Beijing and Shanghai.

Why the fuss?
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    I was saying it's not like Taipei has 20k warheads pointed at Beijing and Shanghai.

Why the fuss?
                    Both the countries are having a low-key diplomatic fissure. All hail Tsai Ing-wen!
                    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Penghu is south west of the island, still of the Taiwan side of the strait.

It would be interesting to see if there was any Chinese mil/law enforcement vessels in the path of the trajectory.

I wonder if they failed the inspection...?
                      "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

Working...
                      X