New purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New purchase

My Mother and her husband thought it wise to get an AR 15 while the getting was good. I tried to explain that a ban was remote and the prices are now rather high but they were undeterred. He hunted for 70 years but his normal guns are now too much for his shoulders and the guns too heavy in general. They have some acreage he wants to defend and still wants to go plinking every once in awhile. Possibly a few hunts left in him. So I got hijacked even though I professed no expertise in the matter, and from start to finish of about 2 hours, from learning to what they had in mind to coming home with the rifle, we were done. I got all of 10 minutes to research on my iphone. We went to 3 stores and saw the AR 15's being sold like at an auction. After getting our hands on about 20 makes and models and seeing the inventory drop exceedingly fast, I steered him to a Colt LE6920 MPS B for pennies under a grand.

Did i screw him or did he do alright.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

You got a pretty good deal for that model, as it is consistent with pre-panic prices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bdVrmJ3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1468913

Comment

Ok. Good to know the price was good. I was more wondering about was it worth the 300 dollars over the lessor expensive models and whether or not this was a good solid rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
        Ok. Good to know the price was good. I was more wondering about was it worth the 300 dollars over the lessor expensive models and whether or not this was a good solid rifle.
        Better components are always worth it. He would have been pissed if you sold him some cheap crap that failed every other mag...
        "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

I think you can get $700 AR that are decent, but the colt is a gun they can be proud to own.

Plus, it makes sense to get quality for a rifle that will be an old friend not a starter.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
            I would love to put a 1000 rounds through it to find out.
            Chimo

Comment

I think even some of the Dems are starting to realize that an AR ban is by no way a gun ban nirvana as witnessed by the likes of Ares SCR http://www.aresdefense.com/?page_id=729 ,that uses AR magazines and upper receivers, and they are more likely to ban sale of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds than anything else. So stack a pile of magazines in the back of your closet!

Comment

We're lucky the aholes know nothing about guns or they might be rearing to ban optics.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  I would love to put a 1000 rounds through it to find out.
                  Only 1000? Your getting old.

I am supposed to teach him how to operate and clean it tomorrow. That should be interesting. The blind leading the blind comes to mind. Its going to be a steep learning curve for me too.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                    I think even some of the Dems are starting to realize that an AR ban is by no way a gun ban nirvana as witnessed by the likes of Ares SCR http://www.aresdefense.com/?page_id=729 ,that uses AR magazines and upper receivers, and they are more likely to ban sale of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds than anything else. So stack a pile of magazines in the back of your closet!
                    Yeah. I learned that in the 1990's. I needed to change my underwear when they wanted 50 bucks for a 25 round mag for a ruger 10-22.

Comment

.....AND IT SNOWBALLED....

After pouring over the computer, thank God for youtube, I learned some of the basics of taking down his rifle. So far have not taken the bolt carrier assembly apart. So the more I worked with it and looked on it and thinking about the current political climate, I hit a gun store myself. Damned they are busy these days. I came home with a colt of my own. Only 900.00 for the basic black 6920. My only gripe was the flat butt stock it came with. I bought a magpul butt stock, No black available but grey was so I got the matching pistol grip and handguard. I also have a magpul trigger guard that I have not installed yet. Now it is grey on black. I was in the market for a new scope so why not? Now I have a Leupold VX3i 3.5X10. Not happy with the mount/rings I bought for it so that will be changed soon. Kind of looking for a detachable one so I can use the scope as needed and tak it off when I dont want it. That Leupold was actually slated for another rifle and I may later on get a smaller scope for the colt but nothing is written in stone.

So far I have 1.75 inch spread at 100 yards using bulk ammo. Once I got it sighted in I could hit clay pigeons at 100 yards easily. That is a keeper in my book. With a new mount and some better ammo I have reason to believe I can tighted that up a bit. The trigger is a bit gritty. Is that normal? if so is there anything I can do or should I put some more rounds in it and let it smooth out a bit on its own before messing with it. My 35 year old Remington 700 has a trigger that is much better but that would be expected. I have no need for a fancy trigger or one that breaks like my remington, just one that is a bit smoother. I know there must be some of you out there with real life experience with these so any advice in general is appreciated.

Oh and just in case someone ventures way back in some of my previous posts where I trashed the AR platform. I already have had a heaping plate of crow. I am a convert. Already thinking of ditching my 2 Ak's and getting another colt so my son has one to shoot. He has young man's eyse so he does not need a scope.

Comment

Name:	eating-crow.gif
Views:	2
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1468992

Comment

Ok So far no pictures, Seems to be an incompatibility issue. Any hints on how to get images from my apple to here?

Comment

Name:	IMG_1164.jpg
Size:	931.4 KB
ID:	1468993

Comment

Name:	1 (1).jpg
Size:	1,000.7 KB
ID:	1468994Click image for larger version

Name:	1 (2).jpg
Size:	952.1 KB
ID:	1468995Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	742.4 KB
ID:	1468996

Comment

Working...
                              X