Army finally admits what I've known since the 80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army finally admits what I've known since the 80s

Now that Prince is dead, the truth finally comes out.

After Prince death, Airborne admits maroon berets actually raspberry

Read more: http://www.duffelblog.com/2016/04/af...#ixzz481fs3Dkt

FORT BENNING, Ga. — Following the death of music legend Prince, Army Airborne has admitted that a long suspected myth about their maroon berets is true: the berets are actually raspberry colored.
    “They are, in fact, raspberry berets,” said Lt. Col. Korey Brown, Commander of 1st Battalion, 507th Airborne. “The 1-507th Airborne School was reactivated in 1985, the same year Raspberry Beret was released. Prince was winning Grammys, and with Gorbachev stirring the pot we were preparing to win wars. It made perfect sense.”
    The color of the berets, worn by elite airborne forces around the world, was adjusted by three shades to reach a more raspberry tone and the school’s leaders continued looking to the artist for inspiration as the fledgling battalion grew.
    “Prince’s band was called Revolution and that’s what we were having in the eighties,” said Lt. Gen. Stephen Townsend, Commander of the Army’s XVIII Airborne Corps. “New Airborne school, fresh command, updated technologies.”
    “And if we wanted increased student numbers we needed to show that with us, you didn’t have to be rich to get the girls,” Townsend said. “You didn’t have to be cool to patrol our world. We had particular skills you’d be compatible with; we just wanted your extra time and your kiss. I mean kits. Jump kits. We needed you to use our jump kits.”
    Noted for the ability to deploy anywhere in the world with little warning and drop in behind enemy lines, Airborne has a proud history, but some say it’s time to shift gears. A February Army Times article questioned if the program is now too impractical and disconnected from modern war to be effective. Townsend says these critiques, combined with the passing of Prince, have encouraged him to step forward about the raspberry berets.
    “If you mix the red, white and blue of our flag’s colors together it makes purple,” he said. “And when our paratroopers come soaring down from the skies to enforce freedom and justice, guess what? That’s purple rain.”
    “And just like Prince, the legends of Airborne will go on forever no matter what the future holds.”
    Last edited by Gun Grape; 08 May 16,, 03:53.

The man's influence is truly remarkable. :-)
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

My beret was green!
      Chimo

Comment

...or was it emerald? ;-)
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Tankers don't get berets in the US.... :(

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
            Really? I'm infantry so I have a green one. The Paras have maroon ones and are sometimes called Cherry Berries, The British pronounce beret so it sounds like berry.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              My beret was green!
              I thought most Engineers and Signaleers wore Dark Blue?

Comment

Canadians are green
                Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                  Aaah, Z.

EVERYONE in the Army wears a beret.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berets...ed_States_Army

A stupid effing piece of headgear if you ask me. I wore a maroon one for 2 years. Didn't keep the sun out of my eyes or the rain off my face. Best US Army headgear was the BDU cap.
                  Last edited by Albany Rifles; 09 May 16,, 15:22.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Burgundy.

Though only tankers wore em on regular duty.

Comment

Girl Scouts wear green ones

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                        Girl Scouts wear green ones
                        So, are you saying all Canadians are Girl Scouts? Or are all Girl Scouts Canadian?
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                          So, are you saying all Canadians are Girl Scouts? Or are all Girl Scouts Canadian?
                          Or maybe the Col wore green because of another reason

Originally posted by OOE
                          Canadians are green
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	green.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1468702
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	green2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	1468703
                          Last edited by Gun Grape; 10 May 16,, 00:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            Aaah, Z.

EVERYONE in the Army wears a beret.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berets...ed_States_Army

A stupid effing piece of headgear if you ask me. I wore a maroon one for 2 years. Didn't keep the sun out of my eyes or the rain off my face. Best US Army headgear was the BDU cap.
                            Not maroon. Raspberry. Didn't you read the article :>)

Comment

Working...
                            X