Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    Stitch,

Is there a list od Soviet casualties in similar incidents?
    I couldn't find one; the only two websites I found were one for the principal "spy" Group in the USAF during the Cold War, the 6901st Special Communications Group, and a website that lists "Aircraft Downed During the Cold War and Thereafter":

Cold War Spyplane Incidents

Aircraft Downed During the Cold War and Thereafter

LOTS of stuff went on in the '50's & '60's before there was really any mass communication, and the Government (on both sides) was able to keep things out of the headlines; I'm sure most, if not all, of the men who went "missing" or KIA back then were claimed to have lost their lives in "training accidents" (yeah, "training accidents" over the Kamchatka Peninsula!).
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
      I couldn't find one; the only two websites I found were one for the principal "spy" Group in the USAF during the Cold War, the 6901st Special Communications Group, and a website that lists "Aircraft Downed During the Cold War and Thereafter":
      June 16, 1983 :

A Mil Mi-24 Hind (bort #07) was ordered to intercept it an AH-1G Cobra (from 4/11 ACR) flying along the East German border in the Witzenhausen/Neu Eichenberg region.

A game of chase started along the border, with the US pilot constantly pulling into a sharp climb to force his faster opponent to overshoot him.

Eventually the Hind pilot pulled back too hard and his aircraft started to tumble.

He pushed his aircraft into a dive in order to recover, with the intention of pulling back sharply before hitting the ground.

When he pulled back hard on his stick, the main rotor blades struck the tail-boom of the Hind and the helicopter crashed, killing all three aboard.

The next day, the bodies of the crew consisting of Captain Yu.D. Karpov (pilot), A.N. Sachkov (WSO) and L.N. Semakhin (flight engineer) were recovered from the wreckage located one hundred meters from the border, in West German territory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	welt_grand.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	827.0 KB
ID:	1468741

Click image for larger version

Name:	crash2_grand.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	1468742

Comment

Working...