2016 Brussels Bombings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drhuy View Post
    ah, so terrorist attacks every now and then is a new norm of europe now?
    When in the last 50 years were they not?

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Do you think the average citizen cares about that?
    Let's say it like this: Beatrix von Storch, ultraconservative MEP of the far-right German AfD party, made an online post in which she did a similar connection as some do here.

The shitstorm following that reached 5000 negative comments (vs about 50 positive) within 4 hours, and is still ongoing.
    Last edited by kato; 22 Mar 16,, 18:13.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
      heh, how quickly we forget.

Comment

Blame Belgian police for failing to find them for the last five months.
        I think that's a little unfair. First they had very little to go on from the French and second they have made a number of arrests leading up to the recent one who is said be 'cooperating' and have a great deal to tell. The chances are that these loons who have blown themselves today felt the recent arrest endangered them and thus thought it better to go out in a blaze of murder.

Comment

This may sound harsh, but it could be a win.

Seems that with the arrest of the Paris attack terrorist other terrorist cells were compromised.
          Then it becomes a use it or lose it scenario for the terrorists.
          Most likely the body count would be much higher if the terrorists didn't have to act hastily.

Next time maybe keep an arrest out of the media or denie it.
          The confusion about what has happened may buy you more time before other terrorists feel the have to act.

This will not likely make me popular, but sometimes winning will look like this.
          Last edited by FJV; 22 Mar 16,, 19:35. Reason: Hars to harsh

Comment

Gmta...

Comment

Of course you can trust the media are gonna make a circus out of it.

Comment

Agree, this is the hobson's choice to contend with. How many would you like to lose ? 10 or 100's.

Keeping it quiet runs the risk of the cells disappearing. This way force their hand and they take themselves out along with a few others unfortunately. Deal with the fallout now rather than later.

No good answers here
                Last edited by Double Edge; 22 Mar 16,, 20:16.

Comment

Originally posted by FJV View Post
                  This may sound harsh, but it could be a win.

Seems that with the arrest of the Paris attack terrorist other terrorist cells were compromised.
                  Then it becomes a use it or lose it scenario for the terrorists.
                  Most likely the body count would be much higher if the terrorists didn't have to act hastily.

Next time maybe keep an arrest out of the media or denie it.
                  The confusion about what has happened may buy you more time before other terrorists feel the have to act.

This will not likely make me popular, but sometimes winning will look like this.
                  Easter holiday starts this Friday in Belgium, traditionally an extremely busy day at the airport, so your assumption they have moved up their attacks is pretty logical.
                  Keeping this attack out of the media was not an option when it took place in a busy quarter of Brussels and with an operation that was very big and lengthy. The comments by the french prosecutor and mostly by the media-crazy star lawyer Sven Mary has certainly made sure that the word was out that Abdeslam was (wlling to) talk(ing).

On another note:
                  Brussels isn't the capital of Europe. It is the capital of Belgium, which is hosting these institutions. Everyone on this board is free to have his or her own idea of Europe, but this attack was felt by the people of Belgium and other nationalities. So if you could please leave the laughter out of this discussion as I don't see any difference between the Brussels attack and the recent Paris attack, where this board's reaction was far more emphatic.
                  I luckily do not have any friends that were harmed in these attacks, but worried about quite a few in the Brussels area for half a day till they managed to tell they were safe.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those hurt by this and their families and loved ones.

Comment

Of course it may be that this guy wasn't and isn't spilling the beans but having been said to be doing so publicly panicked the cells he knew of and forced their hand.

Comment

Let's say it like this: Beatrix von Storch, ultraconservative MEP of the far-right German AfD party, made an online post in which she did a similar connection as some do here.

The shitstorm following that reached 5000 negative comments (vs about 50 positive) within 4 hours, and is still ongoing.
                      when in the last 50 years the kinds of paris attack or this attack are a norm?

and its funny when you conveniently omit other parts of my comment.

besides, i'm curious as how you categorize "positive" and "negative" comments?
                      Last edited by drhuy; 22 Mar 16,, 20:46.

Comment

Originally posted by FJV View Post
                        Of course you can trust the media are gonna make a circus out of it.
                        I have to tell you, watching the news on BBC or CNN on the one side and the Flemish (dutch speaking Belgians) television is like looking at 2 different events.

What I feel by looking at the local news is a truly sad event, but also good working services from the emergency services up to local governments that set up shelters for stranded airplane passengers which in the end became obsolete because local people volunteered to give them a bed in their own house.

On the international newschannels, you see a lot of drama and suspense.

Both of them may have their own reasons to bring the story as they do, but from a local perspective, the local news gives a truer view of the feeling in Belgium at the moment.

Comment

If you fly a lot in the US i suggest getting a TSA pre-check

I've always thought airport ticketing and security lines were easy targets to achieve high profile mass casualty attacks, looks like the terrorists are catching on.

In the US our first line of protection is probably informants, followed by surveillance, but those arent perfect.

Comment

And the pundits and politicians are already out in full force blaming the attacks as a consequence of a liberal PC Europe. Couldn't even wait a full day for things to settle down.
                            "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

Logical.The winds are changing.This is the new market for profit,aa,votes.

Still nothing will be done ,yet.But when it will be done...It will be a sight to behold.For those who will still have eyes .

Btw,ask Dok and Versus about articles and pundits 30 years ago in another multicultural paradise.
                              Those who know don't speak
                              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Malchert View Post
                                Easter holiday starts this Friday in Belgium, traditionally an extremely busy day at the airport, so your assumption they have moved up their attacks is pretty logical.
                                There will be more busy days in the future. Do you want to bite your nails about them too.

So if you could please leave the laughter out of this discussion as I don't see any difference between the Brussels attack and the recent Paris attack, where this board's reaction was far more emphatic.
                                There is no laughter here if anything its how cold this move is. Very ballsy. pre-empt the perps because you can't find them or prevent them.

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                                Of course it may be that this guy wasn't and isn't spilling the beans but having been said to be doing so publicly panicked the cells he knew of and forced their hand.
                                wow, how cunning would that be.
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 23 Mar 16,, 02:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X