basic income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astralis View Post
    ^yeah, everyone thinks they're "above average", right?

I like the idea of a national work service connected to a basic income. in fact, if I had my druthers there would be a National Service where at the age of 18 or 21 everyone would have to work for say, 18-24 months. at the end of the period, you start getting a basic income that will last the rest of your life.

if you don't have post-Service plans, you can continue working to add on to the basic income.

part of the reason why the US is so polarized today is because technology and economics tend to promote bubbles where people don't see what the rest of America is like.
    What about immigrants who come here after the national service period? Let's say someone immigrated here at age 53 and becomes a citizen at 60. Does he not get the basic income?

Is basic income a "right?" Can one refuse to work for national service and forgo this income? How hard does one have to work? Can one NOT qualify for doing a terrible job?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      What about immigrants who come here after the national service period?
      From the late 50s up until the late 80s it was very common for young German men to move to Berlin for a few years to study. Not because universities in Berlin were good. But because as long as they were registered as living in Berlin they could not be conscripted. Once you passed the maximum age for conscription you could register your residence... err, "move" to the West again.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
        From the late 50s up until the late 80s it was very common for young German men to move to Berlin for a few years to study. Not because universities in Berlin were good. But because as long as they were registered as living in Berlin they could not be conscripted. Once you passed the maximum age for conscription you could register your residence... err, "move" to the West again.
        and your point is...?

Comment

Originally posted by drhuy View Post
          and your point is...?
          That no system is perfect.

Buck, I love your idea, why it is not a reality?
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            What about immigrants who come here after the national service period? Let's say someone immigrated here at age 53 and becomes a citizen at 60. Does he not get the basic income?

Is basic income a "right?" Can one refuse to work for national service and forgo this income? How hard does one have to work? Can one NOT qualify for doing a terrible job?

Gunnut, simple. You have to go to the public library and read story time for preschoolers or assist in a Headstart program. There is always something you can do. However, if you choose NOT to participate, then no, you get nothing.

[QUOTE=Doktor;1008727]That no system is perfect.

Buck, I love your idea, why it is not a reality?[/QUOTE]

It's all about funding. And, sadly, like most things, it falls into ideology issues.

I have something teed up and will respond tomorrow with more.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post

part of the reason why the US is so polarized today is because technology and economics tend to promote bubbles where people don't see what the rest of America is like.
              Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Totally agree.

That's why I think all you who aren't Massholes like me are a bunch of dickheads.
              Was looking back through this thread as I find the concept of basic income very interesting and given we are post election and trump couldnt help but necro this one when I re-read it.

Comment

Working...
              X