Thread: Mystery Gun (StG44 Variant) - Need Help

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar

Mystery Gun (StG44 Variant) - Need Help

Anybody know what this is? It's obviously some form of StG44.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 2681
Size:  65.9 KB
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

It appears to be an StG 45.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_45(M)
    Last edited by surfgun; 07 Mar 16, at 03:37.

Yeah, the lower receiver and the stock are the same as an StG. 44, but the upper receiver and the barrel are different; my guess is this was an even cheaper version of the StG. 44 (which was deliberately simple to begin with) intended for mass-production had the war continued beyond 1945.

More info: Mauser Gerat 06 / Stg.45 assault rifle (Germany)
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Sow-motion video of a reproduction StG 45(M) being fired:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl2aOhQus0o

The deadly full auto rubber-band version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDiyzwiPSIw

I've always wanted to own an StG. 44, even in 7.62; there is (or used to be) a company in Germany that made firing replicas chambered in the original 7.92mm x 33mm Kurz round, and an American company is supposed to be coming out with a replica that will fire either 5.56mm/.203 (which makes no sense to me), NATO standard 7.62mm x 39mm, or the original 7.92 x 33mm.

And, of course, a lot of us have heard about that shipping container that showed up in Syria a few years ago that contained 5,000 Stg. 44's; nobody knows if they are replicas (highly doubtful) or, if they're real, where they've been for the last 65+ years.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

The rumor mill indicates that the StG's that showed up, was from a secret US stash courtesy of CIA/OSS from WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by surfgun View Post
    The rumor mill indicates that the StG's that showed up, was from a secret US stash courtesy of CIA/OSS from WW2.
    I could see that; smuggle them into Eastern Europe, then say they must be leftover from the War. They did the same thing with ex-Nazi E-boats for smuggling agents into Lithuania & Poland.

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Huge thanks to everybody who responded! :-)
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    NATO standard 7.62mm x 39mm
    From a historical viewpoint that had me smirking.

Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    I've always wanted to own an StG. 44, even in 7.62; there is (or used to be) a company in Germany that made firing replicas chambered in the original 7.92mm x 33mm Kurz round, and an American company is supposed to be coming out with a replica that will fire either 5.56mm/.203 (which makes no sense to me), NATO standard 7.62mm x 39mm, or the original 7.92 x 33mm.

And, of course, a lot of us have heard about that shipping container that showed up in Syria a few years ago that contained 5,000 Stg. 44's; nobody knows if they are replicas (highly doubtful) or, if they're real, where they've been for the last 65+ years.
    You mean 7.62mm x 39mm Soviet?

NATO standard was 7.62mm x 51mm, which was a shorter version of .30.06.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    You mean 7.62mm x 39mm Soviet?

NATO standard was 7.62mm x 51mm, which was a shorter version of .30.06.
    Yeah, yeah, I was on auto-pilot; I got the 7,92 x 33mm Kurz round mixed up with the 7.62 x 51mm NATO round.

I have an SAR 3 which is an AK74 chambered for 5.56/.223. I chose that because the 5.56/.223 is relatively cheap and very plentiful. Sure the purists can scream, but they are not the ones scavenging the stores for ammo.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Thread Information